How long do tires last in Thailand?

You must be American. Slow speed and straight roads dramatically improve the mileage from a tyre. In the UK straight roads are a novelty so 30K miles is about average. The front wheel tyres are always first to show wear.

Not sure how long ago you left the UK but there are hundreds of mile of motorways and arterial roads that have few bends let alone corners. Maybe you can identify the source of your 30K miles from? Your last sentence is stating the obvious as the back wheels are mainly there to stop the exhaust dragging on the ground. smile.png

Hopefully he knows how silly that is, just typically taking a jab.. :)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of points while the bickering has subsided.

Tyre blowouts and tyre explosions are not the same. Blowouts are primarily caused by mechanical damage or structural fatigue. Nitrogen might help a little but the major factors are the load, pressure and debris the tyre has been exposed to through its life.

Tyre explosions are a potential problem for tyres under very high load and / or speed, usually aircraft or heavy truck tyres. These tyres are under high pressure (~150 psi) and the heat generated by the tyre flexing builds up, and in some cases produces a flammable mixture inside the tyre. Auto-ignition can occur if the heat and pressure are great enough, making a much bigger bang than a blow out. Nitrogen fill is a benefit in these situations because it reduces the oxygen content and the changes the auto ignition limit of the gas mixture inside the tyre. Hence tyres on airliners, some mining and industrial trucks are Nitrogen filled. Tyre explosions are also a risk with earth-mover tyres in a fire but that's another story.

Pickup tyres tend to last longer than car tyres because they are usually harder compound and deeper tread. Many pickups are used as a car with no load so the tyres are also at a low percentage of their rated load.

Driving style has a big influence on tyre life, e.g. tyres life is longer for highway use than city driving.

Michelin is a good brand but they are not magic. We have several PPV / pickups on standard 16 & 17 inch basic Michelin, Bridgestone and Maxxis tyres and larger 20inch Yokohama Parada Spec X tyres. For our use, the Michelin, Bridgestone and Maxxis tyres all do ~90,000 km. The Yokos do about 65,000 kms but have much better grip. I like the Yokos but YMMV.

Back to the OP question, tyres definitely age with UV & sunlight. Most guidelines I have seen suggest 5 - 10 years as a realistic life. Apparently tyres age more if they are not used so tyres from old stock may not be a good idea for vehicles doing low mileages or as a spare. Recommending replacing tyres at 3 years sounds like sales talk unless there is some obvious sign of aging or the tyres have been used for 3 years but are actually considerably older.

On your first sentence you can't say that definitively with so much certainty, the article that was posted ironically by CM who has been arguing his own reference seemingly just to troll, clearly states that the primary issue is that the cords separate from the rubber due to heat, moisture which creates corrosion and one other factor not so important I can't recall at the mo and those conditions are primarily within the tires where the heat moisture build up is higher and the cords are closest to those factors..

On the second part regarding "exploding" tires on high pressure airplane tires etc. how is that relevant to the motoring forum? I see that CM has jumped up and claimed his badge but really was it relevant to these examples and cars? Of course not, so if that's the case it can only be read as nothing but a troll.

No body has disputed or discounted driving habits or the effects of UV but as you noted that is still not an immediate danger to tire life, likely they'll just wear out under normal usage long before that can be factored in unless you're buying some used tires somewhere also not what was pertinent to the OP. If CM wishes to positively contribute, learn and not come on like the tire authority of Thailand then he's more than welcome otherwise he'll get back what he put into the thread by making his first post and every one thereafter antagonistic and abrasive.

It is also noted the he agreed with the recommendation of 3 years life span for a tire and now he seems to have waffled on that regard too. Fine ok to pull back from a statement but do it with integrity, dignity and where necessary make apologies like several here, myself included have done many times.

The article CM quoted was talking about the cause of aging not blow outs. Aging can lead to blow outs but it is not necessarily the major factor. There are plenty of references suggesting the common mechanism to be: excess load / speed or inadequate tyre pressure (often as a result of a slow leak) causing the tyre to flex, generate heat, breakdown the bond between the rubber and reinforcing cords with failure sometimes initiated at a point of mechanical damage.

The tyre explosion details are mentioned because some earlier posts seem to confuse these with blow outs. Tyre explosions are an issue for trucks, as noted by the Canadian article CM referenced, so relevant to the motoring forum.

I understand Jitar, CM is the one that rather nastily twisted the entire debate and needed setting straight when he was cornered on the info he was spewing then waffled into a different direction altogether but moreover referred to some posters replies as "rhetoric" and the like without actually understanding the info in those posts and then claiming his badge of honor at being "correct" when the opposite was in fact true..

The cord/rubber bond, breakdown was the topic I brought up as it was mentioned in his posted link, and my contention was and still is that the internal heat and moisture content that "atmospheric air" (stale air at that) and improper pressures contributes more to that break down and is more relevant then outside air temps to that degradation. Everything you've said also supports that conclusion and that's why I suggested that is another good reason to consider nitrogen in order to combat all of those factors. The tire's cords/belts are much closer internally to any effect "air" might have then is the outside tread (which is much thicker) or than external "air" may have over time so it is the primary reason for that break down and premature aging of said tires. Then all h3ll broke loose..Eventually working it's way back around to the enlightened members agreeing with my original point but not even realizing it or not willing to recognize it, which ever.. It is also notable that you mention inadequate tires pressures also being a prime factor in failures and "often the result of a leak" that supports using nitrogen too as it is more often the result of "air" leaking through the tire, rim etc. and not properly maintained, instead of a puncture and not a "leak"as such, that also happens far less with nitrogen.

I never addressed things like speed, driving style etc. as I felt those should be common sense points that should be taken for granted.

In the case of the chemically "exploding" tires again it was not in any way related to the topic regardless of how true it may or may not be as the topic relates to automotive/small truck tires and not those you mentioned so, again that was an unnecessary waffle by CM to stand up and take credit, which is why I counter pointed your post. I don't agree that exploding tires, on big trucks in Canada, are in anyway related to tires in Thailand mostly on small trucks and cars in a completely different climate and air content..

One other major factor to tire degradation not mentioned, is ozone that breaks down rubber more then most of the other outside factors mentioned, it is produced by brakes and other factors directly related to actual tire contact and then trapped within the high pressure area of the wheel wells which aids in it's concentration building up.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Snow tires, summer tires need to be changed regardless, another reason it doesn't apply. Only a few months even on the car at a time, remount every few months. Not consecutive years of mounting and use like Thailand. Dry air also breaks down the tire especially when they've been heat cycled by being used on the car and then left to dry out with no heat cycles put on them, stored over the winter..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Really? Pulling us off topic again T/A but questioning whether or not there's a need to change to snow tires in Canada now are we? Because you drove across the pond? Trolling again are you? Or is rain the primary weather factor to be dealt with? Deep snow is a constant thing in England all winter and most of the fall and spring? England is an island surrounded by moving sea water, cold sea water but water non the less, as such it does not get the amount of snow, due to temps staying warmer, that falls inland in countries the size of Canada, Russia for example that is more like Canada, size and weather wise. You drove in high snow countries like Russia did you? Ever watch ice road truckers? Might do you some good to expand on your international knowledge..

You get this kind of snow do you?

1845988833_1352781927.jpg

That's 25.5 inches of snow overnight on top of snow, building up, because it doesn't melt until late spring. Will England get 25.5 inches of snow in a year? Scotland which is Britain's highest snow fall location barely gets that amount in an entire year.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Really? Pulling us off topic again T/A but questioning whether or not there's a need to change to snow tires in Canada now are we? Because you drove across the pond? Trolling again are you? Or is rain the primary weather factor to be dealt with? Deep snow is a constant thing in England all winter and most of the fall and spring? England is an island surrounded by moving sea water, cold sea water but water non the less, as such it does not get the amount of snow, due to temps staying warmer, that falls inland in countries the size of Canada, Russia for example that is more like Canada, size and weather wise. You drove in high snow countries like Russia did you? Ever watch ice road truckers? Might do you some good to expand on your international knowledge..

That's 25.5 inches of snow overnight on top of snow, building up, because it doesn't melt until late spring. Will England get 25.5 inches of snow in a year? Scotland which is Britain's highest snow fall location barely gets that amount in an entire year.

Now just where can I find that much snow in Thailand which is what this topic asked.

Now just where can I find that much snow in Thailand which is what this topic asked.

Holy <deleted> are you as thick as T/A too harrry? Do you not see who I was responding to?? And his rediculous post? And then that stupid fool gives you a like?? He needs his meds badly, don't follow him down that path eh?

Holy <deleted> are you as thick as T/A too harrry? Do you not see who I was responding to?? And his rediculous post? And then that stupid fool gives you a like?? He needs his meds badly, don't follow him down that path eh?

Well with where you come from I guess I have to make allowances for your brain freezes.

The boy's got anger management issues, jeeze!

Hey WS, instead of being abusive to posters, how about supplying a link or two from an authoritative and reliable source that confirms your views on things, that might actually win you some respect and confidence that some of the things you say are true and correct? Until you do that your opinion on these matters is just as much hearsay as anybody else's post, despite you trying to use brute force to get your views confirmed as fact!

Because unlike you troll, I am an authoritative source.. You have ignorance issues and that's far more debilitating..Anyone who READS these posts can see where the real problems come from and it isn't me.. So troll what have you to contribute besides more trolling?

Well with where you come from I guess I have to make allowances for your brain freezes.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Where I come from? Florida? w00t.gif Sorry harry I gave you more credit. facepalm.gif It's your buddy CM that comes from Canada he'll probably appreciate your comment though, it does fit perfectly..cheesy.gifclap2.gif and T/A seems to think it gets very cold where he's from too so maybe you're onto something? cheesy.gifgiggle.gif

Edited by WarpSpeed

Because unlike you troll, I am an authoritative source.. You have ignorance issues and that's far more debilitating..Anyone who READS these posts can see where the real problems come from and it isn't me.. So troll what have you to contribute besides more trolling?

Provide supportive links else it's all hot air, in vast unnecessary quantities I might add.

I have spent the last hour ( After reading this post) Googling why heat would degrade rubber. Strangely, the heat, is supposed to make the traction better ( so they do stick to the road better and therefore it causes slightly more wear). But much of the rubber used in tyres ( Yes, I'm English lol) comes from Thailand. So you would think that the raw material would be used to the heat anyway. Just my 2 Satangs worth tongue.png

I have spent the last hour ( After reading this post) Googling why heat would degrade rubber. Strangely, the heat, is supposed to make the traction better ( so they do stick to the road better and therefore it causes slightly more wear). But much of the rubber used in tyres ( Yes, I'm English lol) comes from Thailand. So you would think that the raw material would be used to the heat anyway. Just my 2 Satangs worth tongue.png

According to Transman it is the air that kills the tyres. in some countries the air actually eats the tyres.

Edited by Spoonman

According to Transman it is the air that kills the tyres. in some countries the air actually eats the tyres.

Hmmm, 35 years as a Scuba Diver in the Royal Navy DID teach me a little about air ( i had to stay alive). What can i say except, Tranman is WRONG,, Rubber does de-compose in PURE OXYGEN,, so he's totally wrong. I have been a scuba diver in more countries than i can remember, but i can GUARANTEE, that the air (IN EVERY COUNTRY) was 21% Oygen and 79% Nitrogen ( excusing, trace elements). In short. THE AIR IS THE SAME ALL OVER THE WORLD. Need i say more ?

As an addition to this:- I mostly use what is called Nitrox or EANX now, which is Air but it has more Oxygen ( Usually 32 or 50 %) as opposed to the usual 21% ( breating air). Guessing maybe his misguided info came from there.

But yes, his information is ( Partially Correct)

Edited by lucifer666

To try and get something useful from this thread: what tires should I put on my Ford Ranger? It came with Michelins, I put 59000k on them and they look like I could get 5 to 10k more, but I will change by July, because if I am going to get new rubber I might as well do it before the main rains so I can get the benefit.

Anyhow I know nothing recent about buying tires because I have sold most of my cars before a tire change was necessary, except for my 72 Buick GS with 220,000 miles on the clock.

To try and get something useful from this thread: what tires should I put on my Ford Ranger? It came with Michelins, I put 59000k on them and they look like I could get 5 to 10k more, but I will change by July, because if I am going to get new rubber I might as well do it before the main rains so I can get the benefit.

Anyhow I know nothing recent about buying tires because I have sold most of my cars before a tire change was necessary, except for my 72 Buick GS with 220,000 miles on the clock.

If they have more than 3mm thread depth why change them but then it's up to you as they say ere. smile.png

• 2 months later...

Hmmm, 35 years as a Scuba Diver in the Royal Navy DID teach me a little about air ( i had to stay alive). What can i say except, Tranman is WRONG,, Rubber does de-compose in PURE OXYGEN,, so he's totally wrong. I have been a scuba diver in more countries than i can remember, but i can GUARANTEE, that the air (IN EVERY COUNTRY) was 21% Oygen and 79% Nitrogen ( excusing, trace elements). In short. THE AIR IS THE SAME ALL OVER THE WORLD. Need i say more ?

As an addition to this:- I mostly use what is called Nitrox or EANX now, which is Air but it has more Oxygen ( Usually 32 or 50 %) as opposed to the usual 21% ( breating air). Guessing maybe his misguided info came from there.

But yes, his information is ( Partially Correct)

So your saying there is nothing in the air but that that you have quoted. So can you tell me,

what happens to exhaust fumes when they leave the tail pipe of a vehicle ?

What is acid rain and how is it formed. ?

As for tires I use EANX which have air/oxygen mixture and it's just working As simple as this. Working. And as for the question above I don't really feel like lecturing so why don't you have a read :)

http://www.scienceclarified.com/A-Al/Acid-Rain.html

and also

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/tire-thailand.html

I would say I am close to the 3mm and rainy season is coming. Why not have the new tread at the best time to have it? It would be a shame to get new tires in time for the long dry season.

It's a good idea to change them now. I just got some Michelin pilot sport 3. In heavy rain they feel as firmly planted as if it were dry. 3 mm is cutting it a bit fine in the wet season here.

Tyres Plus in Phitsanulok is on the ball with wheel alignments. I had to get a slow leak fixed and while in there one of their guys was using a computer 4 wheel aligner to do a red plated Camry.

Plus the guy that repaired the tyre did it right. Tyre off, buff the trouble spot and glue a mushroom plug in.

But as they only sell Michies I doubt I would buy a new set there. I priced Maxxis in Pattaya and they were nearly half the price!

You must be American. Slow speed and straight roads dramatically improve the mileage from a tyre. In the UK straight roads are a novelty so 30K miles is about average. The front wheel tyres are always first to show wear.

Not sure how long ago you left the UK but there are hundreds of mile of motorways and arterial roads that have few bends let alone corners. Maybe you can identify the source of your 30K miles from? Your last sentence is stating the obvious as the back wheels are mainly there to stop the exhaust dragging on the ground. smile.png

Experience. For over 30 years I worked all over the UK clocking about 30 - 35K a year. Unfortunately you cannot get customers to live alongside the straight roads,

There is no dispute that it is better now than in the sixties, used to take me 14 hours from Huntingdon to Inverness.