National Park Fees To Double Again....

NedKelly

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Thaivisa we dont need no announcement. Personally I think the gov should tripple it, if they dont then I will be disapointed

:D You are such a sh!t-stirrer . . .

...I think TROLL is the world, Sling; and he started off so promisingly after departing from his alterego, The Fly :o

yes , double pricing is for those who are happy to be taken advantage of on grounds of race.

this second doubling to 400b should be music to the ears and pleasure to the pockets of those who believe that all foriegners are rich , and all thais are poor , (even the ones turning up at the parks in 2 million baht suv's with 21st century camping equipment and tv's and dvd's ) and its our duty to patronisingly and sheepishly pay them what they unfairly demand of us.

I spent over one million baht in Khao Sok National Park last year. I go there every week and all I'm seeing is more cheap charlie mass tourism operators coming in to party. I've seen nothing done to help make this wonderful place a true natural/national treasure.

If you save your receipt you wouldn't have to keep paying entry fee :D:o:D

Say what? I do that already. Each time a new westerner arrives, I must purchase a new park ticket. I don't get where you're coming from... sorry, please explain.

huh?

so ... you are taking 1000 new foriegners a week to the park?

and thats not counting his/her immediate family, friends and long distance relatives :D

Galong - 1000 foreigner to the park every week? you're a busy man for sure

Edited by OZONE

yes , double pricing is for those who are happy to be taken advantage of on grounds of race.

this second doubling to 400b should be music to the ears and pleasure to the pockets of those who believe that all foriegners are rich , and all thais are poor , (even the ones turning up at the parks in 2 million baht suv's with 21st century camping equipment and tv's and dvd's ) and its our duty to patronisingly and sheepishly pay them what they unfairly demand of us.

I spent over one million baht in Khao Sok National Park last year. I go there every week and all I'm seeing is more cheap charlie mass tourism operators coming in to party. I've seen nothing done to help make this wonderful place a true natural/national treasure.

Say what? I do that already. Each time a new westerner arrives, I must purchase a new park ticket. I don't get where you're coming from... sorry, please explain.

huh?

and thats not counting his/her immediate family, friends and long distance relatives :D

He already stated that the million baht was not just for the entrance fees. And even if it were he would only have to bring 100 guests (not 1,000) each week to reach the million in one year.

Sophon

huh?

He already stated that the million baht was not just for the entrance fees. And even if it were he would only have to bring 100 guests (not 1,000) each week to reach the million in one year.

Sophon

52 weeks In one year, your maths doesn't work out.

At Thaivisa we dont need no announcement. Personally I think the gov should tripple it, if they dont then I will be disapointed

Bangkok Herald-Examiner

Bangkok - The Forestry Department has revised its planned restructuring of entrance fees to reflect the progress it has made in setting them at international standards. Khao Yai National Park, as the largest national park in the syste, has been selected as the first park to utilize the new fees:

NationalPark.jpg

Bangkok Herald-Examiner

Bangkok - The Forestry Department has revised its planned restructuring of entrance fees to reflect the progress it has made in setting them at international standards. Khao Yai National Park, as the largest national park in the syste, has been selected as the first park to utilize the new fees:

NationalPark.jpg

:D

Do you think he would be disappointed? :o

• 2 weeks later...

Only read half the posts fromthe start.....and I must say that metrocm2006 really needs an enema.......and some others should stop making assumptions about others whom they do not know........

My opinion on the subject is that it's ok to charge extra for foreigners, but not 400 baht compared to say 40 baht.....there needs to be some intelligence here........who uses the parks more than anyone else? Who has more impact on the parks than anyone else? Of course the answer is 'Locals' and I mean Thai domestic tourists who crowd the main areas of parks on weekends. Another issue is that many visitors only visit the 'main' areas ie where there are services like toilets, restaurants, car parks and so on.......when you arrive at say the bottom of Doi Inthanon where there is a big car park and restaurants and a lot of places where locals have set up 'decks' over the rapids/waterfalls where one can sit and eat.......you then have to 'enter' the national Park and walk upstream 400 metres or so to a big waterfall........to do this and go no furhter yo uhave to pay the fee at present 200 baht......even if yo uflash your work permit and drivers license and say you only want to look for 10 minutes......the answer is No ! That is just plain stupid.

All they need to do is set up a rea;istic price structure for all and get their heads out of their asses !

I work in the tourism industry and believe it will negativley affect itineraries...I also studied Leisure (Parks, Sport , Recreastion etc) and belive that the current over pricing does not reflect a sound policy structure or any form of community consultation.

Despite all the rants about whinging and so on.....all that is needed is a realistic and more professional approach.

:o

Tourism industry backlash staves off doubling of park entry fees

THAILAND: The National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department (DNP) has decided to rethink its plans to double the entrance fees to National Parks after coming under fire from tourism businesses.

The DNP had planned to double park entry fees so that foreign children would pay 200 baht, foreign adults 400 baht, Thai children 20 baht and Thai adults 40 baht.

Phuket Tourist Association President Pattanapong Aekwanich, told the Gazette that he disagreed with increasing the National Park fees, in spite of the DNP’s claims that they are short of money.

K. Pattanapong also said that he thought that in some cases entry fees should be decreased, citing Sirinath National Park at Nai Yang as an example. He said that he thought the 200-baht entry fee for foreign adults was already too much as the park’s facilities were not good and there was nothing for tourists to see or do

Read more here

:D:D:D

• 1 month later...

UPDATE...apparently the fee hike IS going into effect

post-9005-1155182134.jpg

Tourist operators from the Andaman coast protest at a public park in Phuket's Tha Lang district over the hike in entry fees to national parks.

Increasing national park entry prices 'will damage tourism'

Tourist operators from the Andaman coast protest at a public park in Phuket's Tha Lang district over the hike in entry fees to national parks.

A group of about 500 tour business operators yesterday gathered outside a Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) office in Phuket to submit a letter of demand asking that national park entrance fee rates not be raised as scheduled in September.

The letter said the new rates - Bt80 from the previous Bt20 for Thai tourists and Bt400 for foreigners, up from Bt200 - which are to apply nation-wide, would adversely affect the tourism industry on the island province and neighbouring Phang Nga and Krabi, as more than 80 per cent of local tourist attractions were situated in the vicinity of land and marine national parks.

The new rates will take effect on September 15. The rate was last raised in December last year.

All tour operators based in Phang Nga Bay also stopped serving tourists yesterday to show support for the group that gathered and submitted the letter of demand.

Sarayuth Mallam, a deputy head of the Tour Operators' Association in Phuket, said small-time operators, restaurant owners and souvenir makers would also be affected by the raise in national park entrance fees.

The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

NP Ticket Attendant. Hi.

Tour Guide/Van Driver. Hi. Listen, I've got a shit-load of Korean tourists in the van who've already paid me 200b each. Let them gain admittance for 20b each and I'll give you 20b for each one.

NP Ticket Attendant. OK. But in September the fees are going up to a whopping 400b.

Tour Guide/Van Driver.Wow! Really? Glad I'm not a stupid tourist. Ok, no problem. Then in future it looks like we'll be making more money out of these guests to our wonderful country.

NP Ticket Attendant.Yes, that has crossed my guilt-free conscious mind too.

Tour Guide/Van Driver. Bye.

NP Ticket Attendant. Bye.

UPDATE...apparently the fee hike IS going into effect

post-9005-1155182134.jpg

Increasing national park entry prices 'will damage tourism'

A group of about 500 tour business operators yesterday gathered outside a Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) office in Phuket to submit a letter of demand asking that national park entrance fee rates not be raised as scheduled in September.

The letter said the new rates - Bt80 from the previous Bt20 for Thai tourists and Bt400 for foreigners, up from Bt200 - which are to apply nation-wide, would adversely affect the tourism industry on the island province and neighbouring Phang Nga and Krabi, as more than 80 per cent of local tourist attractions were situated in the vicinity of land and marine national parks.

The new rates will take effect on September 15. The rate was last raised in December last year.

All tour operators based in Phang Nga Bay also stopped serving tourists yesterday to show support for the group that gathered and submitted the letter of demand.

Sarayuth Mallam, a deputy head of the Tour Operators' Association in Phuket, said small-time operators, restaurant owners and souvenir makers would also be affected by the raise in national park entrance fees.

The Nation

hmmmm

i'll still wait andsee...butitlooks ominous

huh?

Sophon

52 weeks In one year, your maths doesn't work out.

52 (weeks) x 100 (guests) x 200 (fee) = 1,040,000 baht.

Please tell me where the error is. :D

Sophon

I've never posted here before, read a lot of the posts but never put one up myself.

I no longer live in Thailand, but I'm quite familiar with their double standard pricing scheme. Granted I find it unfair, but that's life. This issue isn't uniquly Thai or even Asian. Its found throughout the world. Try to buy corn in Mexico and you'll certainly pay more than the locals. This is a situation we must accept. No matter how much an individual pays in taxes or spends in Thailand that person is not Thai. They never will be. If you wish to live in Thailand you must play by thai rules.

An American mate of mine went to a National Park near Chumphon, produced his visa, work permit etc. and was told he still had to pay the farang price.

According to him, he lost his rag and screamed "LISTEN. I AM MARRIED TO A THAI, WORK AND PAY TAXES HERE AND YOU WILL LET ME IN AT THE REDUCED PRICE DAMMIT!!!!!!!" Apparently it worked.

An American mate of mine went to a National Park near Chumphon, produced his visa, work permit etc. and was told he still had to pay the farang price.

According to him, he lost his rag and screamed "LISTEN. I AM MARRIED TO A THAI, WORK AND PAY TAXES HERE AND YOU WILL LET ME IN AT THE REDUCED PRICE DAMMIT!!!!!!!" Apparently it worked.

assume you meant at the NORMAL price :o

assume you meant at the NORMAL price :o

Just trying to be tactful. Anyway, if I dont get the same price, I dont go. Simple as that.

Whilst farang are often charged more than Thais, there are many things that work in our favour. I am let off by traffic police all the time, for example, especially with my little one in the car. I can get discount that Thais wouldn't have the nerve to ask for, and better service in shops. Bank workers go out of their way to help me. I don't lose face very easily, which enables me to get away with a lot more than my Thai brothers and sisters.

People remember me which used to be a bad thing when I was a 'naughty boy' Now it is an advantage. Thai people are not all after money(anymore than foreigners) and the longer I live out of Bangkok/tourist areas, I realise this.

I hate to hear the farang saying, "they can't do this to me, do you know what would happen in United Farangland if they did this?". Quite simply, I have started a new life in a country, which will never accept me as one of them, even if I pass a degree in Thai, become a monk, or have Toxin's daughter as a "mia noi".

I have to chill out and adjust certain ideas and attitudes. I must remember that this is not my home country, and therefore has different ways of doing things. Christ, that is one of the reasons I love it here. I used to want them to keep doing the things I liked and stop doing the things I didn't like. What a shity attitude!

Realise what I can change and what I can't. Don't let the things that you can't get on top of you, they're not worth it. Once you have done this, weigh up the pros and cons of living in a new land and decide if it is for me or not. I have not been sentenced to live in Thailand, it is my choice.

Some things like double pricing are the Thai way an I sometimes think I should simply respect their decision - when I do this I usually see that they have a valid reason for doing something that thought 'racist' or unfair.

It's my fear of being take advantage of that I have to address. "can't have them Thais getting the better of ME, the almighty!

I know that if I want to become a Thai citizen I can, but when I weigh up all the pros and cons, I would rather keep my British passport.

Once you've seen one temple, you've seen them all anyway.

N N