Ex-PMs Thaksin Shinawatra, Yingluck Shinawatra to establish government in exile

Lite Beer

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Government in exile is a fantasy. Even so, I don't think I'd want my lawyer spouting off about it while I'm in custody of the military.

my friends and i used to play fantasy football. can this work for "Shinawatra fantasy Government: exile edition"?

i hope he tries this. he should practice by playing Command and Conquer.

• Like 1

Well, I think he has just assured an extended period of detention for all PTP members currently in custody, and I now envisage an all-out effort to get KhunT back to Thailand to face the music. This has to be the craziest thing Thaksin has ever set out to do, and it will certainly prove to be his undoing...!!

Great brotherly love, throw your sister under the bus for your own ends.

Not to mention the Army now have his only son to go along with his sisters, he was picked up in CM last night and flown by helicopter to Bangkok.

• Like 1

"It is understood Ms Yingluck and several former ministers now being detained plan to join the protester-led government."

".."We are unsure of her whereabouts because the military confiscated her mobile phones and those of her aides.".."

So how did Yingluck communicate her intentions?

It does seem a bit odd while she's still in detention. Hopefully the general will give details of reforms and they'll be fair. I don't know if he's thought of the reforms or if he wants both sides to do it to be credible

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

What would a Govt in exile be able to accomplish? Other than keeping the hate fires burning brightly.

I think the objective is that - in the case of international intervention - the government in exile would be allowed to return to power if the junta were overthrown. Memory may fail me but I think that's happened in other countries with "governments in exile". (No, I can't provide an example but I think it's occurred, historically speaking.)

Thanks, I did realize that after fully waking up with my first cup of coffee, but to late to edit.

Government in exile is a fantasy. Even so, I don't think I'd want my lawyer spouting off about it while I'm in custody of the military.

He can join the shah or iran, noriaga, etc. also some are already dead and have their exile government in hell

• Like 2

The banner should read "Thaksin and Yingluck the comedy duo appearing daily".

Yes indeed, and they will be a comedy duo, that is until the first foreign nation recognizes them wink.png Should the U.N., E.U., U.S., Japan or another major country recognize them as the rightful leaders of a government in exile, then the comedy will not be so funny for those military leaders who put themselves out on a limb. If they do indeed set up a government in exile then I think that the U.N. would likely be the first to recognize them and start sanctions against Thailand wai2.gif

This is the goal. ^^

Highly unlikely, in spite of knee jerk boiler plate rhetorical flourishes from some governments.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Tend to agree with your assessment of the 'likelihood'....though I do think it's the basis for the 'positioning'. Now, if the Chinese were to become involved - different story.

• Like 1

So much for his ' I've quit politics' mantra. Note to self: never believe the man.

It would be irresponsible of him to allow this current dictatorship to continue their human rights violations unchallenged. He is far from perfect to be sure, but when given the choice between a quasi-corrupt politician and a violent military dictatorship, I'd pick the imperfect politician every time.

• Like 1

This should not be a surprise to anyone. Thak can not do what he wants most. Enter Thailand! Now there is almost NO way for this to happen unless he seperates the North. The threats have been there for awhile now. Thak has to movr fast before a new Gov and constitution and elections are.made. A last ditch effort on his part. The way the Army is cleaning house it is doubtful Thaks followers will do more than suggest seccession.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Isn't the general walking a tightrope? Isn't YS very popular in many areas? Is there a risk in holding her too long?

Is that what Thaksin is hoping for with his announcement? Hold YS captive and start an internal rebellion?

Thaksin and YS are very popular in some places. Enough places to matter. And Thaksin really has the connections.

This isn't over yet.

Still grabbing at straws are we.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Long game.

Well, I think he has just assured an extended period of detention for all PTP members currently in custody, and I now envisage an all-out effort to get KhunT back to Thailand to face the music. This has to be the craziest thing Thaksin has ever set out to do, and it will certainly prove to be his undoing...!!

Great brotherly love, throw your sister under the bus for your own ends.

Not to mention the Army now have his only son to go along with his sisters, he was picked up in CM last night and flown by helicopter to Bangkok.

There hasn't been any mention recently of his daughters who went to London some months ago on ' business ' but no suggestion they have returned.

How did they get work permits so quickly ?

"It is understood Ms Yingluck and several former ministers now being detained plan to join the protester-led government."

".."We are unsure of her whereabouts because the military confiscated her mobile phones and those of her aides.".."

So how did Yingluck communicate her intentions?

by clay pigeon

This government will have more legitimacy than the military junta, hated, not endorsed, even the senate speaker thrown away as as body to appoint an interim PM.

This government will be a focus point for the opposition in the country, organising funds, equipment, printing publications.

And what if they are endorsed after a while?

And what if the second one, who escaped to the uk, endorses them, as the only hope of returning to thailand?

Governments on exile are known from ww2, de gaulle, czekoslavakian, polish and other governments in london

Edited by londonthai

Isn't the general walking a tightrope? Isn't YS very popular in many areas? Is there a risk in holding her too long?

Is that what Thaksin is hoping for with his announcement? Hold YS captive and start an internal rebellion?

Thaksin and YS are very popular in some places. Enough places to matter. And Thaksin really has the connections.

This isn't over yet.

YL lost her popularity prior to the last elections. Now only the hardcore REDS and the zpaid locals support her. The few places in the North wanting Thak and YL to make a Gov there are probably Thaks lackeys.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What would a Govt in exile be able to accomplish? Other than keeping the hate fires burning brightly.

I think the objective is that - in the case of international intervention - the government in exile would be allowed to return to power if the junta were overthrown. Memory may fail me but I think that's happened in other countries with "governments in exile". (No, I can't provide an example but I think it's occurred, historically speaking.)

Iran!!

Ah, yes. Couple of countries on the African continent too, methinks.

If only - I very much doubt he will be willing to leave the current safe haven of Dubai - Africa has too many willing to do stuff for very little