Farang speaking Pidgin baby talk - painful to listen to!

Gsxrnz

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only idiots to lazy or stupid to learn Thai speak that awful pidgin lingo

.Same same...White man speak with forked tongue' Kemo sabe?

Well, I must be stupid............BUT, I don't wear flip flops when out, ......Will that do....?

• Like 1

Only idiots to lazy or stupid to learn Thai speak that awful pidgin lingo

.Same same...White man speak with forked tongue' Kemo sabe?

Well, I must be stupid............BUT, I don't wear flip flops when out, ......Will that do....?

All Thais wear flip-flops, it's sandal wearers they laugh at.

For most of us English is not a language but a base for communication. Each country has its own distinc flavour. Get over it.

Dont forget that most farangs/expats here speak thai with a total disrespect of thai tones and language structures.

• Like 1

there is nothing wrong with trying to make yourself understood by the listener

if this means reverting to baby-speak/tinglish/pidgin English then so be it if it helps

my friend talks 'regular' English (elaborate code) to Thais and is often misunderstood

I jump in and switch the phrasing around (restricted code) and they get it straight away

if they speak like that, then clearly they will understand you better if you also speak like that.

(even if you sound like a tit to other farangs!) rolleyes.gif

I think this is horsesh#t. Proper English, simple as you might have to phrase it,is the correct way to help Thai people.

If it's true as the OP says that the farang in question actually alters his sentence structure to assist communication then I think he has hit on a revolutionary new tool for international communication.

No need for esparanto,the international language we were all supposed to learn to bridge barriers, simply adapt English to follow the sentence structure of the target language, so when speaking to Thais we say,

' Going where?;'Your name is what?' in affirmative statements we remember to place adjectives after nouns, 'a girl beautiful', 'today, weather, hot, very'

Perhaps non native speakers could continue this theme in this thread, replying in English but using their native language structures,....

To the Hi So's that all speak with proper grammar. I'm sure when you're alone with your sweetheart in one of those beautiful Thai hotel rooms and you explode with excitement you use only proper grammar.

New words are invented everyday and many words that were once used become obsolete. As an example: do you recall the rotary dial phone? Have you heard these words used lately? Phone dial is obsolete and has been replaced by touchpad as an example. What about Itish? It can be understood by some but not by others. Another example: There are words used in mainstream South African English but not usually found in other dialects of the English language. There are some that may not like to hear broken English and there are some that just don't like the sound of someone speaking English from the UK or Germany or elsewhere. People are people and they will do what they do. Rest your minds and mouth and let other people live without you always having something negative to come out of that hole in your face.

You want to know something? I do the same and have done this for many many years. Only foreigners are the ones that complain. Through the years I have actually received many complements from Asians, Italian, Chinese and Thai's alike. They basically have told me that they appreciate me speaking to them this way and always speaking slowly. They have also confided in me saying that most all foreigners speak to fast and don't consider the other persons short comings of not being able to speak English very well. So I say to those that complain about speaking this way, too bad for you! It not only shows you only like listening to yourself speak but more importantly you take for granted that Asians understand all your words. Most likely though, you couldn't care less.

touched a nerve Tony? whistling.gif

Yes!

This is a 120 db US Coast Guard approved just-blow-into-it boat horn. I have several. Not used for this purpose but if encountered 'might give it a try.

JM58210-Marine_1.jpg

I want one. What would it take to obtain one? I live in Sansai, Chiang Mai

Dr Suesse's Fox in Sox is a good test for Asian accents.

Try these first few lines with your friends

Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss
-------------------------

Fox
Socks
Box
Knox

Knox in box.
Fox in socks.

Knox on fox in socks in box.

Socks on Knox and Knox in box.

Fox in socks on box on Knox.

The rest can be found through Google

It is important to keep a straight face during the test.

The OP was on a loser from the start, considering his inclusion of "farang" in the title.

Seems he may suffer from the same impediment as the person he complains about.

@OP

Do you have the urge to say "mak mak" every now and again?

Unlike some, I don't have a chip on my shoulder about the Farang word.

It's obvious why. We do it to make it easier for thais who don't speak English well to understand us.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by ExpatJ

Some people just slip into this for some reason while others don't. I had a friend that did this and it was really annoying. I met a guy in Issan that lived there for a few years in a small village where this became his normal way of speaking. He was low on cash so had to go back to the UK for work. He told me that he went through an entire job interview and realized later that he had spoken pidgin the entire time. Needless to say...he didn't get the job.

• Like 1

He was low on cash so had to go back to the UK for work. He told me that he went through an entire job interview and realized later that he had spoken pidgin the entire time. Needless to say...he didn't get the job.

Thanks for a good laugh! cheesy.gif

The OP was on a loser from the start, considering his inclusion of "farang" in the title.

Seems he may suffer from the same impediment as the person he complains about.

@OP

Do you have the urge to say "mak mak" every now and again?

Unlike some, I don't have a chip on my shoulder about the Farang word.

Well I do, I'm not a farang, and would like to be included in a few posts aimed at foreigners and TV forum members from time to time.

Not my fault my skin isn't white. It isn't a legit reason to exclude me from topics.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican