Facebook down across Thailand – reports

webfact

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FB is our primary advertising tool for my wife's business, and we also use it to communicate with some suppliers because we cannot use Line when we are outside of Thailand. I'm sure our situation is not unique, so this kind of game playing with the Internet and media only exacerbates the negative economic impacts of the coup.

use a paid VPN, and will have no problem at all. They block access from the inside thailand, then just change your ip address to something else.

FB is our primary advertising tool for my wife's business, and we also use it to communicate with some suppliers because we cannot use Line when we are outside of Thailand. I'm sure our situation is not unique, so this kind of game playing with the Internet and media only exacerbates the negative economic impacts of the coup.

just a question?, i use line in thai, uk, belgium and germany, france.

why cant u use it out of thailand???

Hey TV - it's no longer " breaking news" of it a) happened 8 hours ago, b ) is no longer happening - get a grip and stop being inflammatory. My TV" breaking news" email received a few minutes ago was neither breaking, nor news...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

While facebook is a major distraction in the workplace, it is also a necessary tool for my job. I use it to recruit workers, particularly expats here in Bangkok. So, as you are expressing your joy as to its unavailability, just remember that some expats and some thais are probably losing the opportunity to obtain beneficial employment due to the outage.

Any job obtained through Facebook is, by definition, not a real job.

• Like 1

I had a flash thought when I read this story about this momentary test outage by the military.

When you are in a short time hotel, when your time is almost finished, the management will

blip the power off for a second, then turn it back on. Then it will go off for good in a few more

minutes . The military I am sure is fully aware that Facebook played a major role in the

overthrow of the Egyptian government. So they will be keeping a close eye on it.....

• Like 1

Hey TV - it's no longer " breaking news" of it a) happened 8 hours ago, b ) is no longer happening - get a grip and stop being inflammatory. My TV" breaking news" email received a few minutes ago was neither breaking, nor news...

To be fair to TVF the emails may have been held up - the internet must be coming under some strain in Thailand at the moment.

It's working in Chonburi , but I never use FB , l just logged in to check .

I wish they could block it completely . Maybe I'll even support the coup now if that happens.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

It appears to be, looking at the posts on Thai Visa, that blocking Facebook for a whole week, or maybe permanently,is a good thing.

Go on, block it permanently. :)

(please note, the above has been written as a joke, but looking at the posts we can see, well yes, a fair number of people feel this way).

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes - FB down in Bangkok

According to the BKK POST Facebook has indeed been blocked...

On the BBC right now...all FB has been blocked..

How on earth is this news ????? !!!!!

and my facebook has been working fine ALL DAY (in bangkok)...

maybe its dependant on the service provider...

(from experience,, I see that True move BLOCKS a lot more things than TOT).

but really... facebook has been fine all day for me...

and more importantly... WHY IS THIS NEWS ??? !!!!!

they dont do a story on ebay or amazon or Skype going down !!

• Like 1

Matthew 24:6

And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

or the Buddha

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

Sorry, but as a practising Anglican in my home country, I find this a load of codswallop.

The Christian quote: for God's sake: there have been wars since the time of ...name an Old Testament patriarch.. and the "end is not yet". Brilliant but bs.

As for the Buddhist stuff: don't believe ANYone, until somehow you manage to debate with yourself and figure out what is reasonable, and then just go along with what some brain cell or other is telling you what is ok.

BS

I had a flash thought when I read this story about this momentary test outage by the military.

When you are in a short time hotel, when your time is almost finished, the management will

blip the power off for a second, then turn it back on. Then it will go off for good in a few more

minutes . The military I am sure is fully aware that Facebook played a major role in the

overthrow of the Egyptian government. So they will be keeping a close eye on it.....

Hmmm. Makes me wonder how the Royal Thai Army, et al is using FB. How surgical could (will?) they be in censoring it?

I would say that the Military was trying to show what they "can do" if pushed,

but maybe they played this card too soon , because now the smart people will get a VPN , or use another service ,

The Military can always just pull the plug on all mobile traffic but that would be a disaster to the worldwide press,

I am sure they will try this again or on twitter , Line etc

• Like 1

Don't get your panties too ruffled. How does one possibly sift through literally millions of meaningless posts and photos on Facebook and find the proverbial needle in the haystack? There are plenty of low level loony tune common folk who may say things that sound anti-government, but mostly what you get are postings of what they are eating for dinner and crazy cat pictures. The more savvy instigators know that their communications are being monitored. Perhaps farangs are at increased risk of being targeted. Protest leaders most likely choose to stay off the internet/cellphone...and set up more elaborate methods (encoded messages and/or hand delivered messages...etc). Low level cronies would then (foolishly) post meetings and times for assembling protests. You probably won't find terrorist cells or para military operations people using Facebook. Besides all that, analysts sort out information by key words and phrases. If you want to get their attention....then I imagine you could throw up some conversations that would get flagged. Add to this all the posting in foreign languages coming in and out.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

Would be a step in the right direction for all these 'social media' sites to be shut down internationally

And have the narcissists, the NSA, (and several other multi-national, "Big Brother" type agencies) go into deep depression?

That'll work for me.

Actually, I'm considering a hypothesis that the popularity of FB in Thailand is due to a high percentage of narcissists in the population, particularly with the millennial generation. Narcissism would explain a lot about my observations of the Thai culture. Naaaah, It couldn't be ...

Don't get your panties too ruffled. How does one possibly sift through literally millions of meaningless posts and photos on Facebook and find the proverbial needle in the haystack? There are plenty of low level loony tune common folk who may say things that sound anti-government, but mostly what you get are postings of what they are eating for dinner and crazy cat pictures. The more savvy instigators know that their communications are being monitored. Perhaps farangs are at increased risk of being targeted. Protest leaders most likely choose to stay off the internet/cellphone...and set up more elaporate methods (encoded messages and/or hand delivered messages...etc). Low level cronies would then (foolishly) post meetings and times for assembling protests. You probably won't find terrorist cells or para military operations people using Facebook. Besides all that, analysts sort out information by key works and phrases. If you want to get their attention....then I imagine you could throw up some conversations that would get flagged. Add to this all the posting in foreign languages coming in and out.

Andrew Macgregor Marshall's a goner and that's for sure.