Indonesia-bound Thai tanker believed hijacked

Lite Beer

Send in the fearless Thai armed forces. They can actually do something military outside Thailand for a change

I am afraid your comment borders on the idiotic.

You obviously have no idea what the arned forces of a country can do in the open sea or in national waters.

Besides that comments like yours are really not wise, beside the point and indeed an affront to the soldiers.

Send in the fearless Thai armed forces. They can actually do something military outside Thailand for a change.

I would very strongly suggest you modify your post

Hahaha.

Forgot where I was for a moment. Ain't censorship a great thing.

One longs for the days when people were able to exercise some control over what they said rather than just blurting out the first thing that lurched into their minds.

It is possible to set up a persistent monitoring system using satellite data that could help in detecting such hijacks.

It involves training people on ship detection and using satellite imagery and tracing the larger ships by the transponder signals known as AIS (Automated Identification of Shipping).

Unfortunately the system to set up is quite expensive - around $2-4m minimum, and needs a lots of satellite data (which can be done by the space agency GISTDA), which also costs money, but it would also help with the detection of oil spills etc.

If the Thai military, oil companies and ministries can put up the funds then the system, covering Andaman, Gulf of Thailand and the western part of the south china sea, could be in operation in about 4 months.

I presume they are waiting for the new budget?

//corrected for typo///

Edited by crobe

It is possible to set up a persistent monitoring system using satellite data that could help in detecting such hijacks.

It involves training people on ship detection and using satellite imagery and tracing the larger ships by the transponder signals known as AIS (Automated Identification of Shipping).

Unfortunately the system to set up is quite expensive - around $2-4m minimum, and needs a lots of satellite data (which can be done by the space agency GISTDA), which also costs money, but it would also help with the detection of oil spills etc.

If the Thai military, oil companies and ministries can put up the funds then the system, covering Andaman, Gulf of Thailand and the western part of the south china sea, could be in operation in about 4 months.

//corrected for typo///

AIS?(automatic identification system) Yes we do have a number of automated systems that track our movements. There are websites on the internet that any interested party can go to retrieve that data on any one they like. For its normal legal use this is for charterers and the like to see where there goods are. On the other hand of course, I presume it could be used for people with other intentions. The bureau in KL has been in operation for the best part of 25 years (?) although I am not sure what it has actually achieved. The only occurrence that seemed to stop the pirate attacks in the Malacca straits was the tsunami in 2004, it all seemed to go quiet after that. The only deterrent in the South China Sea I remember was about 20 odd years ago when a pirate boat attacked a Russian ship. However they must have been colour blind as apparently it was painted grey. The BBC reported at the time that all contact had been lost with the pirate boat. To answer another poster who asked how they could get the diesel out. I presume it was a very small coastal feeder and the diesel could have been cargo in which case its designed to be pumped out. So......switch the pumps on! I believe some ships do have weapons, I personally have never come across one in the last 40 years, save for a 12 gauge on one ship. I would not want to try to enter a number of ports around the world with any weapons on the ships manifest. Of course if you have weapons you have to be prepared to use them. Around the Horn of Africa some companies employ armed security guards. Strangely enough every one seems to be 'ex' special forces. They are heavily armed. The last lot that tried a sonic weapon found that it was not effective and jumped over the wall when the ship was boarded. Pirates - thieves, all the same

Edited by Dellboy218

//corrected for typo///

If I were a pirate planning a hi-jack I would use AIS tracking information to help select and plan hi-jacks, after the hi-jack has taken place I would disable the transponder.

The information is available online see :

for example see:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/

search for Orapin

MarineTraffic is a good site for collecting info but isn't undated in realtime in the HRA, especially transiting the IRTC. Some masters turn off their AIS as a security measure too but this goes against BMP4.

This 'hijacking' will turn out to be a simple robbery.

//corrected for typo///

If I were a pirate planning a hi-jack I would use AIS tracking information to help select and plan hi-jacks, after the hi-jack has taken place I would disable the transponder.

The information is available online see :

for example see:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/

search for Orapin

You get a friend in a shipping agents who will tell you what ships are stopping off for stores or transiting the area etc. You then have details of the upcoming vessels movements, a copy of the manifest including the number of crew. You will also find out if the ship is taking any cash for the crew. As an addition, physical details of the ship can be obtained including the draft and bunker fuel onboard which will then give you your options of where you can take it. I believe that will tell you all you need to know as to whether its worth your while. Much simpler for coastal traffic and much more likely!

Send in the fearless Thai armed forces. They can actually do something military outside Thailand for a change.

Hahaha.

Can you not, for God's sake, stop these malicious statements. If any of us, as a guest, is not happy here, we are all free to go1

I really can not stand that term "guest".....how often do you call immigrants/visitors "guests" in your own country?

Just sounds so pompous!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have been living here 12 yrs. Pay my 12% income tax. Fill in work permit forms with words likec'Aliens' It is all a Great Success. No voting rights despite my studying. And now paying tax in a totulair state with media locked and Generals acting as if they studied Economics. So it is indeed a mess. And one with a tanker 'vanished'

• Like 1

"In April, heavily-armed pirates boarded another Thailand-owned tanker off the eastern coast of Malaysia, injuring the captain and stealing diesel fuel from its cargo."

How does one go about stealing diesel oil....and why?

Stealing diesel oil from a tanker is simple. After taking over the ship you hook up the discharge hose to your ship and start the pump. It would not be done by siphoning. They are probably taking many tons of fuel.

Diesel is pretty handy for powering pirate ships and you can sell it to your friends too.

• Like 1

Maybe having someone on board with an RPG and automatic weapon is not such a bad idea. Maritime code allows it -- maybe the shippers are too cheap to even safeguard their own cargo....

spray criminals with some fuel and ignite it

You'd think the navy boys would be dying to see a bit of action before they retire.

I wonder if that sub is seaworthy yet?

I would not joke about it, would it not be great PR for Thailand if the RTN actually found the boat and apprehended the pirates.

Hahaha.

Ignorance is bliss, so they say.

//corrected for typo///

AIS?(automatic identification system) Yes we do have a number of automated systems that track our movements. There are websites on the internet that any interested party can go to retrieve that data on any one they like. For its normal legal use this is for charterers and the like to see where there goods are. On the other hand of course, I presume it could be used for people with other intentions. The bureau in KL has been in operation for the best part of 25 years (?) although I am not sure what it has actually achieved. The only occurrence that seemed to stop the pirate attacks in the Malacca straits was the tsunami in 2004, it all seemed to go quiet after that. The only deterrent in the South China Sea I remember was about 20 odd years ago when a pirate boat attacked a Russian ship. However they must have been colour blind as apparently it was painted grey. The BBC reported at the time that all contact had been lost with the pirate boat. To answer another poster who asked how they could get the diesel out. I presume it was a very small coastal feeder and the diesel could have been cargo in which case its designed to be pumped out. So......switch the pumps on! I believe some ships do have weapons, I personally have never come across one in the last 40 years, save for a 12 gauge on one ship. I would not want to try to enter a number of ports around the world with any weapons on the ships manifest. Of course if you have weapons you have to be prepared to use them. Around the Horn of Africa some companies employ armed security guards. Strangely enough every one seems to be 'ex' special forces. They are heavily armed. The last lot that tried a sonic weapon found that it was not effective and jumped over the wall when the ship was boarded. Pirates - thieves, all the same

The systems you are talking about are not set up for satellite data and persistent monitoring, that is the difference.

There are some websites that show the AIS data (mandatory for all vessels over a certain size), but the data is not real time and does not give you any intelligent interpretation

To track vessels which go dark - i.e. have the transponder turned off or spoof the signal of another vessel is very complex, also tracking smaller vessels and performing vector analysis of potential trajectories takes a lot of data and analysis as there are up to 2-3000 vessels in the tracking area at any one time.

I did some work for the proposed Canadian system to monitor the atlantic and pacific coasts using three radar satellites equipped with AIS, with reporting within a 5-10 minute timeframe - it is possible to do the same thing here given the funding.

You are correct of course that most have a few hours lag. They are not real time. But that is not necessary. Publications like Lloyds list, Straits Times even and internet based websites will give vessels movements from which port to which port and approximate ETA. Otherwise get to know a shipping agent and ask them. They will have all the details anyone would want. Even if they know about AIS and the information available it will just be for confirmation of time and position. Of course you can always disable any transponder (did they have one?) but if you do the owners and charterers will be on your case almost immediately. At least in my experience of one going faulty. In this case it may be as simple as someone reading the newspaper. In case of imminent boarding we do have systems that will immediately ring alarm bells in various places ashore. Not much help to us of course. These systems are unlikely to be fitted to small coasters operating locally. Previous 'hits' have resulted in the vessel being discovered, even years later, operating under a different name and ownership. If you are going to sell the cargo you might as well sell the ship!

Send in the fearless Thai armed forces. They can actually do something military outside Thailand for a change

the Thai military only attack unarmed civillians and they would have nothing to gain by reclaiming one small ship when the whole country is currently up for grabs

Edited by Time Traveller

Didn't Malaysia buy some obsolete, diesel-powered subs to tackle this and this particular problem alone? Oh wait, I remember they had some problems with it. They were 'unsinkable' - literally. Not very stealthy then eh.

Snide remarks aside, and just an observation from a layman like me - surely the combined might of all the navies in the SEA region - Thai, Indo, Mal, Sin and maybe even Indochinese nations - can overcome this piracy problem in the narrow waterways around the region? Or is there, as is usually the case in this region, 'vested interests'?

Hmm...

Didn't Malaysia buy some obsolete, diesel-powered subs to tackle this and this particular problem alone? Oh wait, I remember they had some problems with it. They were 'unsinkable' - literally. Not very stealthy then eh.

Snide remarks aside, and just an observation from a layman like me - surely the combined might of all the navies in the SEA region - Thai, Indo, Mal, Sin and maybe even Indochinese nations - can overcome this piracy problem in the narrow waterways around the region? Or is there, as is usually the case in this region, 'vested interests'?

Hmm...

The major shipping routes are narrow but the areas around this where shallow drafted vessels can operate and hide are wide.

Often where such vessels are boarded there are friendly crew that assist the boarding of the vessels.

Any vessels that operates out of Singapore waters has to have electronic equipment because the port and approaches are very highly regulated and subject to electronic control and surveillance.

• Like 1

This and others that have been attacked in that area are only small, not the big international tankers, some of them not much bigger than fishing boats.

Remember the one that sunk recently in the gulf ?

They deliver diesel to islands to small to have a large port that can accommodate big tankers.

This also happened in another countries waters so the Thai navy would need an invitation to enter these waters.

Should that invitation be extended I would think the Thai navy would be well equipped for the job as they have in the past taken part in international patrols against Somali pirates.

But even if the bashers knew that I doubt it would make a difference, any excuse for a kick.

I wonder why they hate Thailand and Thais so much.