Pele son Edinho sentenced to 33 years in Brazil for money laundering

Lite Beer

Pele son Edinho sentenced to 33 years in Brazil for money laundering

The son of the Brazilian football legend Pele has been sentenced to 33 years in jail for laundering money raised from drug trafficking.

Edinho is a retired footballer who played goalkeeper for Pele's old club, Santos, in the 1990s.

He was first arrested in 2005 and has served a sentence for drug trafficking offences and links with a notorious drug dealer in the city of Santos.

He says he is a drug addict but denies the trafficking charges.

The ruling was issued by a judge in the nearby coastal city of Praia Grande, in Sao Paulo state.

Brazilian media have not been able to contact Edinho, whose real name is Edson Cholbi do Nascimento, but they say he is expected to appeal.

Edinho, 43, works as a goalkeeping coach at Santos.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-27652832

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-06-01

Nithisa78 "While living in Hialeah, Fla. Pele would often visit one of our neighbors. This hurts". And????? Or just supposed to be immensely impressed that Pele went to the same street you lived in? I know that sounds like I am trying to be smart but accept my apologies. But read your post and maybe you will see what i mean

now if only they would have these sentences & carried out in thailand for greedy self serving c

corrupt people

Even if Thaksin had been convicted of money laundering (a few judges said he hid his assets, but didn't want to convict him. A black day for Thai judisprudence), he wouldn't have gotten any penalty. Certainly not a 33 year sentence, but maybe 33 pats on the back, for being so wily as to park his assets in accounts named for his chauffeur.

Even so, 33 years seems mighty harsh for the Brazilian.