Unwarranted Pee Test

banagan

they can easily check the validity of a sample with another

"dip stick" type test to make sure it is not diluted and to make sure it is the right temperature. So using someone elses would be better than adding water, but the donor's urine would need to be "fresh." Like a lot of things; it's a tool for the police to extort money. The word was in Pai, several years ago, it was pay 5000 to not take it, or do six weeks in jail, do not pass go, if you failed it. I doubt they are doing the full panel nowadays, as it's more expensive, but it is likely just a test for yaba or Methamphetamine, since the weed the tuk-tuk drivers sell is fake anyway.

Why do you assume you have legal rights?

because Thailand is a democracy... just joking

From what I understand "real": democracies like, say, the USA have a problem with randomly shooting innocent people or throwing a flash-bang in a crib. I'd rather take my chances with the BiB.

Just out of curiosity, who threw a "flash-bang" grenade in a crib? Did the kid refuse to come out for a pee test?

• Like 1

Unwarranted Pee Test

You know where the door is if your sensibilities are so mightily offended.

A quite intelligent and pithy response. Is that the best you can muster?

Really sorry for the terse response, Loptr.

I've made amends and phoned the OP's mum and she's totally traumatised. The OP is booked on next flight home and grounded for next three months. She tells me that he has brought shame and disgrace on the entire family and very grateful that the Royal Thai Police has brought him to his senses.

If he was my son he'd be grounded for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Can't understand why someone who doesn't do drugs would be worried by a pee test.

Western "democracies" do much worse, for example customs can search/seize laptops, read your private emails.

Can't understand why someone who doesn't do drugs would be worried by a pee test.

Western "democracies" do much worse, for example customs can search/seize laptops, read your private emails.

I think what would worrisome to most, is the Thai police taking the urine samples tend to be less than honest and poorly trained. Also, what if a person just came in to Thailand, for a two week vacation from a country like Amsterdam, and had smoked legalized marijuana in that country prior to their trip. This person would fail the urine test which would lead to a lot of unnecessary drama.

What one can do that is to agree to the test but to be taken in a hospital, so one can have a second opinion by a somewhat more trustworthy source. (paid by yourself of course)

Reading blogs about Thailand this has come up every now and then, and you will not be the first person to do it like this.

If you have eaten any poppy seed bagels or bread somewhat recently, you will end up in a Thai jail for using heroin. That is enough to scare me.

• Like 1

If you have eaten any poppy seed bagels or bread somewhat recently, you will end up in a Thai jail for using heroin. That is enough to scare me.

Yeah, I gotta call bullsh!t on this. That's a drug testing urban myth no matter which country in which one resides.

Yeah, I gotta call bullsh!t on this. That's a drug testing urban myth no matter which country in which one resides.

When I first visited Thailand, I met an expat who got thrown in jail in Kao Samui for testing positive after eating poppy seeds. I get a little nervous every time I eat a bagel ever since, but I just can't resist!

Opiates (morphine and codeine) can be detected in urine for at least 48 hours after one eats food containing poppy seeds. As little as a single bagel covered with poppy seeds could produce a false positive test for these drugs.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/poppyseed.asp#5zyPflKHugVbSEEg.99

Edited by Ulysses G.

Random test by bent cops on the street?

Good set up for a fleecing.

I'd be very pi$$ed off if some clown cops started harassing me on the street for no good reason, then demanded I pi$$ in a cup, in a cop booth on the street, just to extort money out of me.

Why is this so hard to understand?

I'm not saying all cops do this in Thailand or they're all bad, I actually met a decent cop the other day, after parking in the wrong place, just told me to be on my way instead of forking out 500baht on the spot.

I think Thailand for the most part is an awesome country, great food, weather, people.

However, for the #1 tourist and expat country in SE Asia, this sort of thing really lets it down.

It's the sort of thing I'd expect from a 3rd world country.

And as for your Airport example, it's irrelevant, airports have their own rules, no matter where you are. Sure they can stick their finger up your bum if they want to!

Unwarranted Pee Test

You know where the door is if your sensibilities are so mightily offended.

Just because people have concerns over random drug tests conducted by poorly trained police, wouldn't necessarily indicate their "sensibilities are so mightily offended." I think it would indicate a normal individual would sensibly question the random drug test for a host of valid reasons. "You know where the door is?" OMG!

• Like 1

I'd be very pi$$ed off if some clown cops started harassing me on the street for no good reason, then demanded I pi$$ in a cup, in a cop booth on the street, just to extort money out of me.

I'm not saying all cops do this in Thailand or they're all bad, I actually met a decent cop the other day, after parking in the wrong place, just told me to be on my way instead of forking out 500baht on the spot.

I think Thailand for the most part is an awesome country, great food, weather, people.

However, for the #1 tourist and expat country in SE Asia, this sort of thing really lets it down.

And as for your Airport example, it's irrelevant, airports have their own rules, no matter where you are. Sure they can stick their finger up your bum if they want to!

which is the case also for any place that isn't Kansas.

and western police also does such pee tests on drivers upon suspicion.

And seriously, if my test turned positive, I would just pull out my lawyer's business card and ask for a follicle test.

And seriously, if my test turned positive, I would just pull out my lawyer's business card and ask for a follicle test.

Western police can request a urine sample from a driver who fails a sobriety test after being stopped for driving under the influence. You won't see western police walking into a bar, night club, or randomly stopping people on the street to obtain urine samples. Wow, you have a "lawyers business card." I bet that really impresses people. A "follicle test" you say, lol.

Also, what if a person just came in to Thailand, for a two week vacation from a country like Amsterdam, and had smoked legalized marijuana in that country prior to their trip. This person would fail the urine test which would lead to a lot of unnecessary drama.

It would not be "unnecessary" according to Thailand and might result in more than "drama". In Thailand it's not just about possession, it's also about if you have it in your system. I suppose the thinking is that you are guilty of being a drug user if it's in your system and using drugs is illegal, thus you must face the consequences.

As to people coming from Amsterdam with it in their system, there are two points for them to consider: firstly, that Holland's approach to drugs is not the same as many other countries, and therefore the second point would be: if one is to take drugs in Holland and then go to a different country one must be prepared for the potential consequences of that.

1. Anyone who takes drugs will be aware they are not always legal or decriminalized in every country.

2. Anyone going to south east Asian countries will be aware they have strong laws with regards to illegal drugs.

Surely nearly everyone caught with illegal drugs in SE Asian countries will say they didn't think it through or were stupid, rather than denying any knowledge at all, which won't wash, particularly given that many of these SE Asian countries do indeed feature big signs and warnings of about drugs as you enter.

Anyone unaware of these two things should probably be better off learning to read and not traveling, but rather staying home with mummy and daddy who have yet to finish teaching them about the world.

On the other hand, someone fully aware of the laws but unaware of 'random' police behaviour in Thailand might have a case for life being unfair, but they still reap what they sow to an extent.

It really is time to cut out the crap in this thread. If a policeman (whether you are in UK, CA, US, or wherever...) asks you to pull over; talks to yopu, and asks you for a sample (blood or breath or urine); will you say NO F__ing way??

Get serious peeps.

• Like 2

Western police can request a urine sample from a driver who fails a sobriety test after being stopped for driving under the influence. You won't see western police walking into a bar, night club, or randomly stopping people on the street to obtain urine samples. Wow, you have a "lawyers business card." I bet that really impresses people. A "follicle test" you say, lol.

There was a famous case in Fairfax County, Virginia ("the birthplace of The Bill of Rights"), where a customer sitting at a table in a bar was arrested and charged with Drunk in Public......everyone in his group testified at his trial that the guy was being a complete gentlemen....not guilty. The citizens were furious. Another case in Montgomery County Maryland where police wanted to come on the property of a private home and see if alcohol was being served to minors.....all they saw were plastic cups...that didn't go over very well either.

I'm not certain what your point is.

I think the USA is the only country that has sobriety tests.

Most countries just have the breathalyzer, and if it is negative but the officer thinks one might be under influence, they will apply a pee test and if positive, later a blood test.

In Western countries, consuming drugs is not an offense that is acted upon by the police (except when driving under influence) while in Thailand, consumption is also illegal.

So they test people. If people are positive,and if they can't prove medical use, they have to face the consequences (very light for a first time offense).

I think what really irritates you is that consumption is illegal.

Regarding the lawyer's card, well, all I can say is that you'd probably be surprised. And follicle... I suppose you had to look up the word somewhere.

Now... don't make the mistake of thinking I'm anti-drugs.

I know medical studies show cocaine is much less harmful than marijuana - so it would be a clever move by governments around the world to ban grass more harshly and legalize cocaine.

But the law is the law.

Most countries just have the breathalyzer, and if it is negative but the officer thinks one might be under influence, they will apply a pee test and if positive, later a blood test.

In Western countries, consuming drugs is not an offense that is acted upon by the police (except when driving under influence) while in Thailand, consumption is also illegal.

So they test people. If people are positive,and if they can't prove medical use, they have to face the consequences (very light for a first time offense).

Regarding the lawyer's card, well, all I can say is that you'd probably be surprised. And follicle... I suppose you had to look up the word somewhere.

I know medical studies show cocaine is much less harmful than marijuana - so it would be a clever move by governments around the world to ban grass more harshly and legalize cocaine.

But the law is the law.

I'm sure your 'lawyers business card" would really surprise me, lol.

But the law is the law.

I'm sure your 'lawyers business card" would really surprise me, lol.

Oh, I get it now - you didn't do the forward thinking. "pull out the card" means calling my lawyer.

Forward thinking can be impaired - caution is advised! 555