'One tablet per child' scheme put on hold

webfact

Children tablets put on hold

3-27-2014-1-12-54-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Education Ministry has put the children tablet project on hold pending a two-week study by a working group of its advantage and disadvantages.

Decision to put on hold the project came after the ministry’s permanent secretary Mrs Suthsri Wongsamarn had a meeting with the National Council for Peace and Order’s sociology affairs chief Lt Gen Surachet Chaiwong, Army assistant Chief-of-Staff, to discuss the children tablet project.

The meeting agreed to appoint a working group to study both advantages and disadvantages before allowing it to go ahead. The working group will comprise representatives from the ministry, school, parents, teachers and students to study and vome out with proposals in two weeks on whether to terminate the project or go ahead.

The host of the project is the Office of the Basic Education Commission.

At present, students at secondary level education or Mor 1 Grade in Zone 4 covering North and Northeast regions have not yet received tablets for the 2013 fiscal year.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/children-tablets-put-hold/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-04

The meeting agreed to appoint a working group to study both advantages and disadvantages before allowing it to go ahead. The working group will comprise representatives from the ministry, school, parents, teachers and students to study and vome out with proposals in two weeks on whether to terminate the project or go ahead

Too bad PTP didn't do that before spending 3 years and Billions of Baht on this project.

From the start there were many obvious flaws with it, all of which had already been addressed by the OLPC program of Nicolas Negroponte years before, they ignored all that accumulated experience and expertise for no reason... well no legitimate reason that I could think of.

• Like 1

Well done Lt Gen Surachet Chaiwong. Once again the military impresses.

This project has been a costly farce from the beginning. Another Chinawatra invented vote buying scheme not unlike the rice project. Classic populist policies, using taxpayers hard earned dollars to fund one's own political agenda. I like to call it corruption.

And get your 20% from the Chinese manufacturers ......

• Like 1

Computers and iPhones etc are the future and the young generation need to be taught how to get every advantage from this technology and not just using for games or social networking .

If they are taught right from a young age then they have a chance of taking full advantage of the devices they are using!

Do you mean that, to reach the goal of having the young generation keep up with recent information techonogies, which is a positive one, ...when part of a well structured, modern, general education, that alas seems to be failing at about all State run schools..., the best way, in pedagogical and economical terms, is for you to go on buying crap 'disposable' Chinese tablets, equipped with lousy outdated software? For what reason other than to keep the corruption money flowing to the same pockets as before? One, well equipped, quality large tablet, with decent educational sofware, seems the best solution to me, it would also create emulation and increase contacts among the children, which are highly needed in this 'ice-olating' IT times...

So, anyway, let's start with point N°1 before we purchase anything then: where are the electricians, to bring electricity to the many thousands schools which don't have any in rural Thailand, and do it good and safe guys, with earth leakage tripper and many AC outlets with ground lead (don't forget the third, green wire, OK!?), but, yeah, TiT...

Computers and iPhones etc are the future and the young generation need to be taught how to get every advantage from this technology and not just using for games or social networking .

If they are taught right from a young age then they have a chance of taking full advantage of the devices they are using!

Don't worry...by the time they are teenagers (or way before) they are walking around like zombies using their smartphones/tablets which their parents went into debt for.

It was a great plan: for family fiefdom of the Shinawatras. At least they stole as much as they could before their current (permanent) demise. Hope they can take the ATM with them in the next life! Its all about the money (didn't buy them happiness, did it?)

• Like 1

I keep seeing references in this and other threads to the "hundreds" or "thousands" of school without electricity, has anyone experienced one recently or can anyone point me to a survey or reference to substantiate this claim ? Some of the rural schools I have taught in were in dire straits for many reasons but they all had electricity despite the wall sockets falling off and the cables dangling dangerously all over the place. I am just curious as to how a school can manage without electricity in this day and age.

It was a great plan: for family fiefdom of the Shinawatras. At least they stole as much as they could before their current (permanent) demise. Hope they can take the ATM with them in the next life! Its all about the money (didn't buy them happiness, did it?)

I don't disagree with you Mr.G. But the billionaire Shin clan have seen their wealth vastly increase 450% since Madame took office until her removal in disgrace.

But, they've still got all that dosh, plus all their assets, plus all their business "interests". One part of the gravy train has been derailed for now. But the prospect of them actually receiving justice, been imprisoned or having asset sources thoroughly investigated seems a remote as ever.

They might not be happy, but I'll bet they're scheming away, thinking about a government in exile, still wondering how to whitewash the boss, and grab power for themselves again. Be honest, having billions doesn't always make you happy, but it makes being miserable a hell of lot nicer!

I still remember Yinggy flashing her Samsung Galaxy around, making people think this is what they'd get. Then dodgy deal were done with even dodgier Chinese suppliers one of whom had no experience at all. Bit like some of the rice deal partners. All part of the Shin way of business and democracy. What you see isn't what you get!

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2

In theory, Parrot.True! Yinglack fell for the theory hook line and sinker, however the ramshackle way this policy was implemented (How long did it take??? I forget) and the end result was an easily breakable piece of cheap **** and as has been mentioned the reluctance of teachers to effectively incorporate it into the curriculum and numerous other reasons. This populist policy was doomed from the get go but hey who knows these guys that are in charge now have paid the farmers, stopped the daily shootings and bombings, rounded up a ton of weapons. Maybe they can also sort out this 1 tab 1 child policy. I truly hope they do

• Like 2

The most stupid idea Thailand has ever came out in the history of Thailand is this tablet PC project. They thought by having this tablet PC could do wonders by producing world class students? There is only one motive for this and that is to generate instant wealth to the Shinawatra lackeys.

• Like 2

Basic reform, such as teaching logic, questioning, etc is what is needed first. That would not cost a huge amount by comparison to these bells and whistles. Biggest stumbling blocks are 1. resistence of teachers to learn how to teach and 2. wolves who want to make tea money

Dont forget the "Stumbling Block" builders. Where was the government which failed to recognise the need for top quality teaching staff and basic teaching facilities ? Let's not always blame the teachers, many of whom are doing their best, despite inadequate training, and with the poorest of teaching support materials. Not a hack at only the last government, but the succession of administrations have ignored the country's most valuable asset, it's children.

One more item on the Army's list for reform, because past experience has shown that political parties in power are incapable of providing for and directing a good education regime.

Why not spend the money on a computer lab for every school.....then all students would have an opportunity to learn how to use a computer....with a computer lab each school could have a qualified teacher too.....I suspect many of the teachers of the students with tablets don't know how to effectively teach using the tablets.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

The well to do kids shouldn't be given a head start because their parents can afford. The poor should be given a level learning field. That's the purpose of the free tablets.

I am strongly in favour of a social approach to education which should result in equal chances in life. But, please, get out of that biased state of denial, admit the free tablets had little or nothing to do with educating children, that it was a short sighted electoralist populistic, totally irrealistic, plan, and, that it allowed 'Dr Thaksin' and the leeches around him to further line their deep pockets with taxpayers' money. That being said, let's look to a, hopefully, brighter future for the young generations. I gave my idea, in a nutshell, here today about informatics in lower schools, forgetting to add the large quality tablets 'for four' should be kept at school. Now, when you have positive personal ideas about what could or should practically be done concerning children's education, please do let share such with us. A free forum like this one has, IMO, a huge positive potential, let us make the best of it from now on, don't you agree?

• Like 1

Kids need to learn the basics first, the old fashioned way. Once they can manage without tablets/computers/calculators, then start to teach them about such devices.

Introducing these electronics too early and the kids just become reliant on them. As someone said recently, hand a cashier a 1000 baht note for a 500 baht purchase and see how long it takes them to figure out how much change is owed without resorting to electronics. Most of the time I can calculate the amount of change I should get back before the cashier has finished punching it into a calculator.

Most of the time??? I guess you are a young fellow!!

• Like 1

Kids need to learn the basics first, the old fashioned way. Once they can manage without tablets/computers/calculators, then start to teach them about such devices.

Introducing these electronics too early and the kids just become reliant on them. As someone said recently, hand a cashier a 1000 baht note for a 500 baht purchase and see how long it takes them to figure out how much change is owed without resorting to electronics. Most of the time I can calculate the amount of change I should get back before the cashier has finished punching it into a calculator.

I agree that the need is to learn the basics first before using advanced tools to help the process. It is very important to be able to know intuitively that 20 time 20 is 400 and not 4000.

4000 doesn't make sense!! When I went to school we learnt that way.

But then technology came along!!

A f@cking slide rule. Bugger me....I could now not only do addition, subtraction,multiplication and division, but also logarithms and the derivatives of them. Absolutely wonderful time saving device. Very accurate - put men on the moon.

My point is they are all tools to help.....but you need to learns the basics first and then use the short cuts to the maximum advantage. Give a dog a pc and you have a pc and a dog.

The well to do kids shouldn't be given a head start because their parents can afford. The poor should be given a level learning field. That's the purpose of the free tablets.

I am strongly in favour of a social approach to education which should result in equal chances in life. But, please, get out of that biased state of denial, admit the free tablets had little or nothing to do with educating children, that it was a short sighted electoralist populistic, totally irrealistic, plan, and, that it allowed 'Dr Thaksin' and the leeches around him to further line their deep pockets with taxpayers' money. That being said, let's look to a, hopefully, brighter future for the young generations. I gave my idea, in a nutshell, here today about informatics in lower schools, forgetting to add the large quality tablets 'for four' should be kept at school. Now, when you have positive personal ideas about what could or should practically be done concerning children's education, please do let share such with us. A free forum like this one has, IMO, a huge positive potential, let us make the best of it from now on, don't you agree?

What basis or empirical study are you basing your notion that tablet had little or nothing to do with educating? Care you qoute one? And why is it with you fellows that keep making corruption charges without any evidence? It's all your rethoric.

I maintained my stand that the free tablets bridge the gap between rich and poor and allow students to enjoy technology and boost education standards. I am not saying though it's the best method. In fact, previous govt education minister Chaturon had hinted that they will likely to hitch free tablets for smart classroom and I agree.

• Like 1

The now defunct Red Shirt Government in Thailand reminds me so much of the baffoons that were running Australia ie. Rudd/Gillard. But now quickly followed by another circus show, Abbot and Co. Labor tried this bs and it didnt work, but did that stop Thailand? no way, no wonder the military stepped in.

"At present, students at secondary level education or Mor 1 Grade in Zone 4 covering North and Northeast regions have not yet received tablets for the 2013 fiscal year."

and everyone else has?? What a strange statement....