New Acting Pattaya Police Chief “lays down the law” to his officers

Rimmer

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen one guy this week 'fined' 1000 bahr because he didn't have his Thai licence. He was wearing his helmet.

It used to be possible for visa shops to do your 90 day reporting for you for 100 baht. That went up to 250 baht this week.

Circumstantial, but if this is any indication, the trend seems to be towards costlier police or immigration 'assistance', not less.

But let's hope the changes are just taking some time to filter through....

"It used to be possible for visa shops to do your 90 day reporting for you for 100 baht. That went up to 250 baht this week."

Off topic, I know but why would anyone want to do it that way? You can do it yourself by post for the cost of the stamps.

Convenience and sheer laziness. Immigration is 1 km from where I live too :(

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A meeting was held at Pattaya City Hall on Wednesday afternoon by the acting Pattaya Police Chief who denounced his predecessor and claimed that corruption and other bad practices was a thing of the past at Pattaya Police Station.

That's how change happens. Good for him, and good for Prayuth!

All this information is coming out from a military controlled media, proof will be in the pudding but would have more credibility if it were coming from a free press with proof. Right now the Junta can post what it like. I doubt very much jet ski scams have been stopped and would take a guess the taxi mafia in Phuket are as bad today as they were last week.

More chance of king Canute turning back the tide

Edited by marstons
  • Like 1

"...any officer suspected of being involved in corrupt activities of any kind will be investigated and could ultimately be fired."

How about prosecuted and jailed.

That's what I was thinking myself.

This coup has been the best thing to happen to Thailand this century.

But I hold reservations... I would not be surprised if this new commander turns up mysteriously dead.

Too many people making potloads of cash may have something to say about their cushy little setups.

• Like 2

Well the jet ski scams would be a good start, and a clean up of other dodgy individuals like the bogus foreign lawyers, and dodgy property developers, seedy newspaper owners etc, etc

Pattaya would be a pretty boring without all these foreign flotsam.

Well, for me, few things are really new and promising:

- have you ever heard a new chief accuse his predecessor so blatantly about corruption?

- have you ever heard of so serious road checkpoints where the focus is NOT on tea money, but REALLY clear the streets from druggies and alcoholics?

- have you ever heard so public threads against police officers not helping tourists / extoring money?

Me never for all above...

When it comes to the jet ski Mafia, I would guess it takes few tourist complaining about them and complaining about inaction of the police... I would expect a REAL blow against that Mafia within the next few weeks.

Anybody taking bets?

Uups... forgot this is illegal and will be pursued now... giggle.gif

• Like 2

Best of luck to him.He will need to be an inspirational leader to motivate Pattaya police to do the job they should be doing.When did they last do that...if ever.

He will have to show obvious results early on if he is to get anywhere.Expect something done with a lot of publicity to show he means business.

He will need a strong team of decent cops around him to get the others out of their old ways.I wouldn't want to try that by myself for sure.

Who can he really trust? Wish him the very best of luck if he really intends to get stuck in.

Well, it would appear that the Army is exerting a lot of pressure.

I know it is a rare sentiment on Thai Visa, but let's all be positive for a changetongue.png

Good post Sir

We all complain about corruption then have out glasses half empty head on. The majority of non thais hate corruption unless it suits them personaly, very 2 faced

So why was a tourist friend of mine "fined" 600 baht yesterday while riding his motorbike ,if this is a crackdown it aint working.

What did he do to get the fine and did he get a receipt?

That's the problem with Thailand a lot of driver do not know the law and how to drive safely, including those on motor bikes, so when they are stopped they believe they were in the right and do not accept the were in the wrong and a danger to themselves and others.

May be the next step would be to impound vehicles driven by unlicensed drivers for a week and they could only be collected by someone with the correct documentation to drive that vehicle after all fines, towing charges and storage fees are paid.

Best of luck to him.He will need to be an inspirational leader to motivate Pattaya police to do the job they should be doing.When did they last do that...if ever.

He will have to show obvious results early on if he is to get anywhere.Expect something done with a lot of publicity to show he means business.

He will need a strong team of decent cops around him to get the others out of their old ways.I wouldn't want to try that by myself for sure.

Who can he really trust? Wish him the very best of luck if he really intends to get stuck in.

Will be very interested to see how he gets on with cleaning corruption from the police in Pattaya. Rumour has always had it that officers paid a large bounty just to get to Pattaya so they could benefit from the fruits of its corruption. Can't see they are going to be very happy to lose out on the tea money if they have paid a small fortune to get themselves in line for it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So why was a tourist friend of mine "fined" 600 baht yesterday while riding his motorbike ..

Because he was breaking a law? That's the usual reason, and the laws commonly broken here by tourists on motorbikes are not having a valid licence and not wearing a helmet.

Whether or not he was breaking the law is irrelevant. If an on the spot "fine" is issued rather than a proper ticket and receipt, then the officer is pocketing the fine and that is pure corruption. If they are going to end corruption then that means no more on the spot fines, they will have to write out tickets and make sure none of the money goes into the pocket of any cop. I bet they will be a lot less keen to collect "fines" then

You do realize that by paying an 'on the spot fine', the person doing so is supporting the very thing they are complaining about.

If you aren't happy with the situation, go to the police station, get your ticket/receipt and start legal action if you still disagree.

Or would that be too inconvenient? If so, just pay the fine in the first place and get on with your life.

If this guy is for really here to clean up corruption then Pattaya will be nothing like it is today. Correctly if I am wrong but the laws on the books state:

All bars close at 1am. (beer bars, disco's,gogo's,karaoke's)

Gogo bar girls would have to be covered, no more nude dancers.

No Alcohol sales between 11am-2pm and 1am-6am.

All illegal taxi's gone. This would include taxi's to the airport such as Mr T and most visa run companies. They must have "orange number plates" which they don't.

Motor bikes and cars for hire. From my understanding it is a lengthy and difficult process to get a license to do this. The only legal ones I know are Hurts and Budget and a few others hence their higher rates as they are properly insured for renters. So no more renting of scooters.

Jetski's would be gone. They are 100% operating without any license.

Touts and Freelancers on walking street and beach rd. would be arrested.

The list could go on but these activities are related to the tourist and expat community.

If anyone remembers some of these things were enforced while Taksin was in his last couple of years as PM.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So why was a tourist friend of mine "fined" 600 baht yesterday while riding his motorbike ..

Because he was breaking a law? That's the usual reason, and the laws commonly broken here by tourists on motorbikes are not having a valid licence and not wearing a helmet.

Whether or not he was breaking the law is irrelevant. If an on the spot "fine" is issued rather than a proper ticket and receipt, then the officer is pocketing the fine and that is pure corruption. If they are going to end corruption then that means no more on the spot fines, they will have to write out tickets and make sure none of the money goes into the pocket of any cop. I bet they will be a lot less keen to collect "fines" then

You do realize that by paying an 'on the spot fine', the person doing so is supporting the very thing they are complaining about.

If you aren't happy with the situation, go to the police station, get your ticket/receipt and start legal action if you still disagree.

Or would that be too inconvenient? If so, just pay the fine in the first place and get on with your life.

Sure, or go home and be happy

So why was a tourist friend of mine "fined" 600 baht yesterday while riding his motorbike ,if this is a crackdown it aint working.

What was the reason given by police?

The fine for no helmet IS 1000bht.................whistling.gif

What was the reason given by police?

Why do people still post this drivel. If you ride in Pattaya without "an international drivers license with the motorcycle endorsement" you can get a ticket! Full stop. Even on my to first trip to pattaya 25 years ago they were required. This is not the drivers license from your home country.

So every Gogo bar and beer bar in Pattaya will be closed now since prostitution is illegal?

Corruption and bribery keeps most Pattaya businesses open. I guess Pattaya is closed now?....

Dancing or working in a go-go bar or beer bar is not prostitution.

You won't find many girls working in those places they do not practice prostitution....

Amazingly, that is exactly why they are there. The big money is in the late night bumpity bump...not in drinks.

Some folks better be careful what they wish for. Many came to live here fully knowing the relaxed atmosphere and corruption and how along with that it gave you a freedom you didn't have in your own country. Personally I have never been stopped and fined by the cops for being innocent, I had always broken the traffic law and I damn sure would have rather paid the piddly fine here than gone through hell in the states. Yes, some of the corruption needs to stop, but when the pendulum swings it tends to swing a long ways. I remember my early days in New Mexico, it was almost as corrupt and lawless (perhaps more lawless) as here and many people moved there because it gave them a freedom to enjoy a life they did not have before. Yes, you had to be prepared to defend, both my wife at the time packed heat, everywhere, sometimes the price is worth it. While NM is still corrupt to the core, those old fun times are gone forever. Be careful what you wish for. And do-gooders, bible thumpers, christian sharia, get a life or crawl back in the hole you came from.

• Like 2

"...any officer suspected of being involved in corrupt activities of any kind will be investigated and could ultimately be fired."

How about prosecuted and jailed.

But at least it's a step up from "moved to an inactive post." We'll take the blessings, as small as they may be....

• Like 1

A meeting was held at Pattaya City Hall on Wednesday afternoon by the acting Pattaya Police Chief who denounced his predecessor and claimed that corruption and other bad practices was a thing of the past at Pattaya Police Station.

That's how change happens. Good for him, and good for Prayuth!

No it isn't.

We've heard these announcements from Pattaya city hall so many times before, and thankfully life just goes on as normal, with the odd glitch as tea money is adjusted.

The simple fact is that there is no "new dawn". A new group has seized power and is simply doing what such groups have historically always done; ie having a thorough purge to make sure they enjoy the benefits. Thus the world goes round until the next change of power.

• Like 1

One of the news " laws " no doubt, No more nickel and dime kick back, bring me the

real money here as I don't have that much time in Pattaya before they kick me outa here

for inactive post, and oh yes, make sure every business in Pattaya knows who I'm

any homage accordingly....

Why? No helmet, illegal turn, no papers

Sorry just do not believe your mate had to pay 600 baht ' just ' for riding his bike

That's not always practical because if it's a tourist they might well be out of the country the next day or two. They can't waste time trying to track them down.

They should issue an on-the-spot fine with an official receipt. That would solve the problem. It's also better for the offenders because they don't have to turn up at a police station, thus wasting more time.

Obviously if it's more serious then this doesn't apply.

Some folks better be careful what they wish for. Many came to live here fully knowing the relaxed atmosphere and corruption and how along with that it gave you a freedom you didn't have in your own country. Personally I have never been stopped and fined by the cops for being innocent, I had always broken the traffic law and I damn sure would have rather paid the piddly fine here than gone through hell in the states. Yes, some of the corruption needs to stop, but when the pendulum swings it tends to swing a long ways. I remember my early days in New Mexico, it was almost as corrupt and lawless (perhaps more lawless) as here and many people moved there because it gave them a freedom to enjoy a life they did not have before. Yes, you had to be prepared to defend, both my wife at the time packed heat, everywhere, sometimes the price is worth it. While NM is still corrupt to the core, those old fun times are gone forever. Be careful what you wish for. And do-gooders, bible thumpers, christian sharia, get a life or crawl back in the hole you came from.

Agree thumbsup.gif

"If your tourist friend didn't want to pay a fine to the officer all he had to do was ask for a ticket which he could then pay at the police station and be given a receipt. As it is, by agreeing to pay a fine at the scene your pal was just as corrupt as the police officer."--MMalow

Hello Earth to MMalow----have you ever actually got a ticket, ?? Do you think you just get back onto your motorbike & say--yes officer I will pay this, the correct amount, down at the station. Too-da-loo........

How do you think you are going to get there MMalow ??----because its not on your motorbike. That stays where you have been stopped, even if its 10 miles from the police station. Make your own way there, and back....yes fighting corruption, It all sounds very good MMalow---to people who have not actually lived in the real world.

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

So every Gogo bar and beer bar in Pattaya will be closed now since prostitution is illegal?

Corruption and bribery keeps most Pattaya businesses open. I guess Pattaya is closed now?....

Dancing or working in a go-go bar or beer bar is not prostitution.

I'm aware of that convenient loophole but it goes without saying that the bars are an intentional space to facilitate the meeting of prostitutes with customers. At the very least it is aiding and abetting. Every cop is knowingly allowing a criminal activity to go on by allowing these venues to operate.

Pattaya exists on a foundation of corruption. Without corruption there would be no Pattaya in the form that it takes.

How about the 7-11s in walking street selling millions of condoms to the girls, are they not aiding and abetting? They know full well that 99% of the condoms they sell will be used to facilitate prostitution, and they are clearly making money on it.

come off it its only just begun give it a chance and you say fined do you mean he got a ticket or he gave police money Just ask for ticket and go to police station pay fine so your friend is a large part of the problem few times I've been caught wrong I've just took ticket no problem and gone down to pay fine at police station and got receipt etc

• Like 1