Thai Lateness. Your reaction?

jackvale

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My first reaction was to moan about it, then after a few years laugh about it, now I know the way the average Thai thinks is very different from the way the average Westerner thinks. It's a cultural thing due to the Buddhism, IMHO. Thai people don't care if the person they meet is late as they a lot more comfortable enjoying the moment than Westerners, who are not taught "samadtee" or meditative techniques at school.

They will reply, "I am here 'now'", so what's the problem.

They are actually right as time IS an illusion.

I think this is perfectly true and the outcome is magnified by the different view of the concept of time by westerners and Thais.

It is easy to believe that something labelled 'cultural' is actually an excuse for ignorance, poor planning or stupidity. The Thai cultural concept of time is often an excuse for lack of responsibility, courtesy and organisation - in the eyes of a westerner. It sits comfortably with the principle of 'mai bpen rai' which itself is an abrogation of responsibility.

I also initially moaned about it and I have also left the missus behind when I have emphasised a leaving time. I now try and take a balanced view. There is absolutely no need to be time rigid if you are going to the shops but, if you have an appointment or are meeting others, then time is important.

• Like 1

Another ding-a-ling comes to Thailand and wants paradise to be a Western hell. It's their country, try to deal with it.

I do detest people who kiss-ass everything Thai and fall back on the tiresome solution of "go back to your own country if you don't like it here".

Integration is about adapting not just rolling over to ever Thai whim or 'culture'.

You know what, we may even be able to teach the Thais something............................

I said try to deal with it, not leave. Or, should I put it in crayon for you? And, it's their country, you are a guest. Deal with it.

It's immigration, not integration.

Edited by sdanielmcev
  • Like 1

My Thai teacher was always kicking off about her friends making her wait while it's hot & had a screaming baby in her arms. Was always looking for a rant together because maybe I'm farang I understand her pain.

Would just point at my wrist with no watch, shrug my shoulders & raise my eyebrows. I forget what day it is but get by.

Thai's have issues with it as well, but can't see it changing.

My wife is Lao & have no such problem regarding her, never left me at swampy for an hour, thank god & more punctual then me...

Another ding-a-ling comes to Thailand and wants paradise to be a Western hell. It's their country, try to deal with it.

I do detest people who kiss-ass everything Thai and fall back on the tiresome solution of "go back to your own country if you don't like it here".

Integration is about adapting not just rolling over to ever Thai whim or 'culture'.

You know what, we may even be able to teach the Thais something............................

I said try to deal with it, not leave. Or, should I put it in crayon for you? And, it's their country, you are a guest. Deal with it.

coffee1.gif

If your colouring book cannot cope with integration, have a try at assimilation.

I was not invited, I am not a guest - no one hosts me.

I stay here under visa regulations and live my life on a balanced basis between Thai 'culture'.

i am not Thai, I don't want to be Thai and I certainly don't wish to conduct myself on the same basis as Thai culture.

you ARE a guest. and, like the folks that refuse to live according to british or american culture when they emigrate, you dont deserve to be.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's you that needs to adapt, not the Thai's. If you wait for the Thai's to adapt to your way of thinking and doing things, then you'll be waiting for the rest of your life and there is a danger of you becoming bitter with Thailand. This is not a dig at you, this is just the way things work.

If a Thai asks you to help them to adapt to a different way of doing things, then try and help them, if not, you're wasting your time trying to impose things on them.

• Like 1

My first reaction was to moan about it, then after a few years laugh about it, now I know the way the average Thai thinks is very different from the way the average Westerner thinks. It's a cultural thing due to the Buddhism, IMHO. Thai people don't care if the person they meet is late as they a lot more comfortable enjoying the moment than Westerners, who are not taught "samadtee" or meditative techniques at school.

They will reply, "I am here 'now'", so what's the problem.

They are actually right as time IS an illusion.

My mrs used to think like you until one day she rocked up at Don Muang and was told the flight has gone already.

Any problems take it up with Thai Airways, sorry we cant keep the flight on hold until you and your upcountry shitkicker cousins decide its ok to rock up here, just coz you decided to stop off for a gobfull of som tam en route.

Just read your post and the face thread as well, and had a funny thought

Imagine a thai person is catching a flight and decides to turn up whenever they feel like it and get told the flight closed 45 minting ago

If they follow the true concept of face, they Dont lose their temper, they keep their composure even though they have been ripped off, while the airline staff don't tell them that their flight has already gone so the.customer doesn 't lose face in front of their friends

And so they all.just stand there, one side thinking the plane is still open, while the other side just hopes they go away and become.someone else.problem!

They're not asking you to integrate. You're here voluntarily.

Edited by sustento
  • Like 1

it means they are lazy and couldnt care less, it isnt rocket science ......but I do like the way its gets dressed up as culture.

If Thailand could sell bulls** they would be the hub of it alright!

• Like 2

I'm kind of used to it now.

If i'm in a good mood I usually let it slide and just put it down to a 'This is Thailand' kind of thing.

If I'm in a bad mood it really pi$$es me off and I make my thoughts known.

What I don't get is that not only are they always late for little things like going out for dinner, meeting for drinks. They are also always late for important stuff such as job interviews and business meetings.

These are true facts.. when they were looking to name this country they were looking

to name it Thailate, but in the end, they decided that Thailand sound better....

after all, why point out the obvious here?

coffee1.gif

If your colouring book cannot cope with integration, have a try at assimilation.

I was not invited, I am not a guest - no one hosts me.

I stay here under visa regulations and live my life on a balanced basis between Thai 'culture'.

i am not Thai, I don't want to be Thai and I certainly don't wish to conduct myself on the same basis as Thai culture.

So, you're being held against your will? Forced to stay with no recourse? I'm sure one of the alphabet spies/ military guys that hang out at the go-go bars can free you back to jack-boot land.

Read the book "The Silent Language" by Edward T Hall. Time is one of the cultural variables that has unwritten expectations, shared beliefs within a culture. I assume you are from West, and like all cultures, think our perception of time is "the right one, the rational one" etc. Adapt or be frustrated, it's up to you. Indonesia has phrase I like: "jam karet" which means "rubber time".... expecting someone to be on time is like expecting Liverpool to win EPL: may happen, may come close, but don't bet the farm on it.

• Like 1

If I ask my wife what the time is she rounds it off to the nearest hour. Eg: if it's 8.25am she'll say 8am yet if it's 8.35am she'll say 9am.

I hope she doesn't do that with flight times. ;)

She has! She once flew back to Australia, flight was at 17.00. She read it as 7pm. Made it with seconds to spare.

I had a pal in the UK who was always late. He once told me that it wasn't his fault, he was physically losing time or someone was stealing it from him.

He also told me he rode a bike through the centre of manchester swinging a sword and he was a modern day knight so I took most of what he said with a pinch of salt.

Wonder what happened to him.

Many things we don't like in LOS we put down to "local culture" but lets face it most of the things are world wide. We just notice them more because we live here and have a rosy memory of what it was back in the real world.

Being late has different levels of importance, business appointment or meeting a friend in the pub, but I think any lateness without good excuse or explanation is a sign of disrespect.

I have always tried to be punctual it's the respectful thing to do.. I remember long time ago in another land I had a job interview in a part of town that was unfamiliar to me so the day before did the journey to see how long it would take so that on the day I would not be late.

Living here now I have come to accept the way things are.

Life goes on

thumbsup.gif

Many things we don't like in LOS we put down to "local culture" but lets face it most of the things are world wide. We just notice them more because we live here and have a rosy memory of what it was back in the real world.

Being late has different levels of importance, business appointment or meeting a friend in the pub, but I think any lateness without good excuse or explanation is a sign of disrespect.

I have always tried to be punctual it's the respectful thing to do.. I remember long time ago in another land I had a job interview in a part of town that was unfamiliar to me so the day before did the journey to see how long it would take so that on the day I would not be late.

Living here now I have come to accept the way things are.

Life goes on

thumbsup.gif

but the question is, do THAIS see it as disrespect? how westerners see is not relevant

• Like 1

I had a pal in the UK who was always late. He once told me that it wasn't his fault, he was physically losing time or someone was stealing it from him.

He also told me he rode a bike through the centre of manchester swinging a sword and he was a modern day knight so I took most of what he said with a pinch of salt.

Wonder what happened to him.

Think I saw him in Thong Sala bout a month ago scaring the khao phat out of the locals.

Was muttering on about them stealing the full moon for themselves...

I was once invited to a party in New York City - when I showed up on time at 8 pm, the hosts were coming out of the shower and nothing was ready as they expect everyone to show up at 10 pm… and they did. I was the only one inconveniently on time. You apparently have some understanding of the culture, adjust or be frustrated continually.

I like punctuality but I am retired. I keep a book with me and try not to let it get to me as i enjoy the fact that I am not doing businesss here.

ps - A friend of mine was a retired veterinarian. he wanted to work a few hours a day and went in to the office from 10 am - 2 pm…

He left the hours open and was becoming annoyed as everyone was showing up when he was ready to close. Then he walked through the reception area as his receptionist was on the phone w/a client. She told the client you can come in anytime - ten to two… and so everyone was showing up at 1:50….

• Like 1