Unterminated garden hoses

attrayant

Is there any particular reason why hoses are sold here without metal screw thingamajigs attached to the end? Hose clamps are a PITA, as is holding your thumb over the end of the hose trying to get a decent spray, so there's got to be some advantage that I'm not seeing.

You can buy the hoses with the parts at both ends... Tesco etc,  usually have, but they kink too easily and don't last!  They will drive you crazy! facepalm.gif

The semi clear 1/2" or 3/4" pipe sold in many hardware stores is much better and last for years! Just buy the end parts you need... easily available.... just use a screw clamp to hold the ends on tightly! 

You can buy in the length you need too.... thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

Why don't you use plastic hose connectors that can be combined/coubled with

This is a site of a German quality supplier (just to show what I mean).

http://www.gardena.com/uk/water-management/hose-connectors/

Maybe not available anywhere in Thailand.

But there are comparable products from Italy e.g. in the home stores here.

Don't buy the cheapest. Maybe you will have to try a few different types until you find the best.

Can be combined with misc types of sprinklers:

http://www.gardena.com/uk/water-management/garden-sprayer/

Lopburi was quicker biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

^ they blow off the pipe to easily from my experience! w00t.giffacepalm.gif

I like the old fashion connections! wink.png

Not if you buy the right stuff rolleyes.gif

I had these problems too in the past.

Also the type of hose makes a difference.

The cheapos have a thin wall and a slippery surface.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Yeah, those look like they won't stay on without hose clamps.

Gardena make good connectors.. We use them on the boats I work on..
You need to get the correct size and you will have no issues, they clamp up tight.
Make sure not to cross the threads and don't over tighten them.
They will not blow off :)

Yeah, those look like they won't stay on without hose clamps.

Those plastic adapters can indeed pull off fairly easily unless they are the right size for the hose since they usually come in 1/2 inch and 5/8 inch sizes....plus they need to be put on "tight" and some people just don't/can't tightened them down properly.  And they are kinda pricey compared to metal hose clamps that only cost a few baht. I gave up on using such plastics connectors years ago and now just secure my water nozzles via metal hose clamp.  I use the bronze colored ones vs the silver color ones as the silver color ones will rust fast where the bronze colored ones are very rust resistance.   Of course using a metal clamp hose does not allow you to change a nozzle in a few seconds...instead it takes about a minutes using a screwdrivers...but I expect most people have no need to attached and detach nozzles frequently--only when the nozzle breaks/need replacement.

Below is a picture of the metal hose clamps I use...but these are the silver color ones that I "don't" use...I use the bronze colored ones which are much more rust resistance...and as mentioned they only cost a few baht each.

[attachment=270222:capture.JPG]

Edited by Pib

Of course using a metal clamp hose does not allow you to change a nozzle in a few seconds.

I would not give up the flexibility that comes with the plastic adapters,

Each to his own.

You just buy the quick connectors and sprayers you want.  These attach to house with only a turn of the screw knob.  Just make sure you buy the correct size.

Those look great - almost like compression fittings.  Do I need to go to some specialty hose/pump shop to find these?

You just buy the quick connectors and sprayers you want.  These attach to house with only a turn of the screw knob.  Just make sure you buy the correct size.

Those look great - almost like compression fittings.  Do I need to go to some specialty hose/pump shop to find these?

HomePro, HomeWorks etc etc have them, even Tesco have a selection.

Make sure you get the correct size for your hose. If you ensure the end of the hose is cut straight and even, rough up the outside of the hose a little if it's very shiny they won't blow off.

Those are on all my hoses also.  Very convenient when I have to switch from the garden sprinklers to my standard hoses.  Just 2 seconds and they are switched over.

[attachment=270234:hose.jpg]

HomePro, HomeWorks etc etc have them, even Tesco have a selection.

Make sure you get the correct size for your hose. If you ensure the end of the hose is cut straight and even, rough up the outside of the hose a little if it's very shiny they won't blow off.

The other thing you can do is put some of the white plastic plumbing tape (name escapes me) on the end of the hose where the fitting goes on. I find this stops the connector "blowing " off - always happened before I did that.

There are a lot of good suggestions and work-arounds in this thread, but getting back to my OP, why aren't garden hoses here made with threaded ends by default?  Is there some benefit to having unterminated hose-ends that I'm not seeing?

They are.. You can buy them on reels with connections on both ends. Saw them 3 days ago for 999baht in Tai Wasadu (spell check)..

Remember this is a developing country, some years behind on lots of things.. Does it really matter though, just buy a reel or buy some connectors...!!!

As a professional I can say: Gardena is RUBBISH, might last a year if you are lucky, and it always breaks when you need it. Homepro stuff lasts six months. You have to buy good stuff if it is to survive in the tropics. Hose pipes: universally rubbish. I bought stuff 40 years ago that I was still using until recently, temperatures from -20°C to +40°C.

There are a lot of good suggestions and work-arounds in this thread, but getting back to my OP, why aren't garden hoses here made with threaded ends by default?  Is there some benefit to having unterminated hose-ends that I'm not seeing?

I'll hazard a guess and say its the market that dictates.

A terminated hose limits its uses plus increases the price. Once you get away from the cities you'll see garden hoses used in a lot of applications. Short lengths for siphoning fuel or water for example. Up in the villages I've seen it jammed onto the cheap unthreaded water taps they use. Not everyone needs fittings or standard length hose.

As a professional I can say: Gardena is RUBBISH, might last a year if you are lucky, and it always breaks when you need it. Homepro stuff lasts six months. You have to buy good stuff if it is to survive in the tropics. Hose pipes: universally rubbish. I bought stuff 40 years ago that I was still using until recently, temperatures from -20°C to +40°C.

As an amateur I agree with you that plastic adapters and spray nozzles (especially the nozzles) are crap..don't last very long (especially the nozzles) with daily use and are problem prone...and the wife and I use our water hoses daily several times in watering plants, cleaning things, etc.  I tried all kinds from HomePro, Thai Wasadu, Global, Big C, Lotus, etc., with little luck.  I now just have one plastic nozzle due to needing various spray patterns, but all my other hoses are terminated with bronze nozzles pretty much like the pictured below but not with the end that snaps into a plastic adapter...but a tapered/ribbed end you secure with a hose clamp.  These bronze spray nozzles which cost around Bt175-200 and are of simple design last 10 times longer than the various plastic nozzles designs, and the bronze nozzles would pretty much last forever if  a person could find the two, very small rubber O-rings used inside the nozzles which usually need replacement every couple years to effect a no-leak seal...but even when they do start leaking it just takes a few drops of some oil on the seals which rejuvenates them enough to effect a no leak seal for another couple of months.  

[attachment=270864:Capture.JPG]

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

I have the quick coupler adapters. I love them they work fine. However, if you have the same type of folks around your house that I do (in-laws). You will be very frustrated by the fact that as soon as you are not looking they will pull the end off or unscrew it. Because they prefer to use their thumb over the end of the hose.

It's been happening here for three years, no matter how often I explain that you only have to pull down on the ring to uncouple the spray attachment. Usually I have to go looking for the sprayer, and often I have to buy a new one.

I cant for the life of me work out how one would thread the end of a hose.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

It's a Thai thing. I had two decent garden hoses for each side of the yard and both were terminated with the fancy quick couplings so that they could be used for various things from watering the plants to washing the cars. However, if I left for more than 4 or 5 weeks, I come back and find either one or the other has had the quick coupling removed. It boils down the the family being typically lazy arses and the one time that they want to fill a bucket, they reckon it's faster with just the un-terminated hose... and they never put the fitting back on. I gave up making the hardware houses rich years ago and use the thumb and crimp method like the locals do.

It's a Thai thing. I had two decent garden hoses for each side of the yard and both were terminated with the fancy quick couplings so that they could be used for various things from watering the plants to washing the cars. However, if I left for more than 4 or 5 weeks, I come back and find either one or the other has had the quick coupling removed. It boils down the the family being typically lazy <deleted> and the one time that they want to fill a bucket, they reckon it's faster with just the un-terminated hose... and they never put the fitting back on. I gave up making the hardware houses rich years ago and use the thumb and crimp method like the locals do.

Thais already know the plastic couplings don't last long along with the fancy plastic hose sprayers you can plug into them.   So, why waste money on them.  Heck, the fact they now have water pipes running to the house and water hoses versus carrying buckets of water from a well or canal is a major leap forward for them.  For me, I pretty much gave up on the plastic couplers/adapters/sprayers also since they break too easy, hose sprayers get clogged up, etc.  Instead I just use a solid brass sprayer and clamp the sprayer onto the hose like shown below...lasts a long, don't get clogged up, costs approx Bt180-200 at HomePro, Big C, Lotus, etc.  My wife prefers this type of hose sprayer also since she don't have to squeeze and hold any lever to keep the water flowing (twisting is easier)...yea, she's pretty lazy when it comes to using water hoses.

[attachment=279265:Capture.JPG]