Upsurge in reading in Thailand.

harrry

I have been led to believe that a new interest has developed in Thailand. Reading. People are reading everywhere. May I suggest that in order to encourage comprehension the powers to be arange for tests on their comprehension of the material and arange food and accomodation to enable them to become more competant at least at reading.

• Like 1

Where did you observe this OP,in a library,if such a thing exist's in Thailand,it is the only place i can think of,my wife has three books,one a thai to english dictionary and 2 on Budda,her step daughter has a couple ,her step son{who is i admit rather dim],none,so per se i would say your post is wrong in it's conclusion,as a recent news story exposed the fact that a quarter of the population are ,unable to read or write.

May I suggest that in order to encourage comprehension the powers to be arange for tests on their comprehension of the material and arange food and accomodation to enable them to become more competant at least at reading.

??????????

• Like 1

According to 'Read for Life' Thais read on the average 5 books a year. I don't believe this da*n statistic, I think they did their survey amongst students or something, and certainly not in rural areas. In Vietnam they read 30 books a year each.

Having said that, I wonder how many books a year Farangs read? I only read learn Thai textbooks at present.

Every 7-11 has a book section with lots of Thai romance fluff but also more solid items like the bio of Steve Jobs in Thai -- 7-11 has every cm of linear shelf space analyzed in detail and the books wouldn't be there if there was not sufficient turnover.

• Like 2

According to 'Read for Life' Thais read on the average 5 books a year. I don't believe this da*n statistic, I think they did their survey amongst students or something, and certainly not in rural areas. In Vietnam they read 30 books a year each.

Having said that, I wonder how many books a year Farangs read? I only read learn Thai textbooks at present.

how many books a year would a farang farmer with a primary school education read if he had to work the same hours as a thai farmer?

It seems some TV members do not read many Newspapers. Only one got the point with the reference to George Orwells book. I was referring of course to the readings of books together with eating sandwiches that the authorities have objected to.

• Like 1

how many books a year would a farang farmer with a primary school education read if he had to work the same hours as a thai farmer?

Is it obvious that a Thai farmer works more hours than a "farang" farmer, on average..? Personally, I doubt that.