Do you trust ? have you changed ?

CharlieH

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stitch ups....not so much/hardly away from the tourist areas.

Taxis...they try everywhere to stitch up, not all of them though.

Hospitals....a very good experience where they saved my life.....also when the kids were born.

Bad 1s to...as doctors in general are bad communicators (lacking empathy), in thailand the cultural differences and lack of english capabilities, or my own lack of extensive knowledge of thai language, made it sometimes difficult in matters. If i had not been persistent and done some checks on the internet, my daughter, of then 6 months, would have had a cut above her breast for a total unnecesarry test of cancer.

At the end of the day i have truly been stiched up, not money related though. But that awareness came to late. With dramatic consequences though.

Overall if 1 lives somewhere long enough 1 knows after while how things work. I cant really say that in day to day life i had to be on the look out in order not to be cheated. It helps if 1 speaks thai somewhat.

Edited by benalibina

Coming from me who just holidays there,

I know the taxi driver who didn't put the meter on will overcharge me, but I trust he will get me home safely.

Edited by krisb

The day we arrived here, because we had so much luggage, my Thai SO and I took separate taxis. Since she'd been away for nearly a year, and never took taxis when she was here anyway, she was unfamiliar with the price. I was unfamiliar too, of course. She was charged 300, I was charged 200.

I guess it depends on the driver.

• Like 1

Yes absolutely, I am pretty much on the defensive all the time calculating what angle someone maybe trying with me!

This I hasten to add is due to a cumulative experience within Asia over the past 20 years.

Every major city that attracts expats or tourists in the World has its scammers. My Asian (inc India) experience quickly thickened my skin and made me aware of my vulnerability as a non Asian in Asia.

Therefore now I prepare, avoid, even *retaliate.

*I have an effective and discrete method to administer disruptive retribution to Taxi Drivers/restaurants or shops who wanna play games (but that's another story for another topic maybe?)

The trick here is to remain happy, content and not let the prospect of being conned get you down.

Prepare to avoid a situation or subtly retaliate!

• Like 1

I think if you live out in the country like i do,no,people are pretty honest and fair,that does change in the tourist area's,l stayed in Jomtien back in feb,for the first and last time on my way back home from Koh Chang,the hotel wanted 300 baht deposit for the key,i told the girl i was leaving at 6am ,so how would i get the deposit back,the security Guard will give it to you she said,of course the next morning the guard,did not have a key for the safe or money,i realised at once it was a rip off,he said i could wait until 8am,and reception was open,but i wanted to get an early start,clearly,either he,or the reception girl or both of them where lying,and i was a bit fed up with it,but as it was only 300 baht and i wanted to get home,i shrugged it off.

I agree its more common in the more touristy type areas.

As Marko said out here in the boonies its actually quite rare, but being honest it is always at the back of my kind when I travel around.

Im not a long term resident but it would depend on regulations and reputations of certain countries or areas

for example in Australia, taxis don't rip you off

none of this "no meter" stuff

none of this taking you in the wrong direction

the drivers can lose their license and if audited theyd be in big trouble

the worst that can happen is they take you a slighter long way

if the system were the same in Thailand for example, i would never even consider getting ripped off

same thing here with the shops, usually items have prices on them so need to worry about getting over quoted,

obviously not at local markets etc

Nothing to do with Thailand specifically but the number of people I can truly trust I can count on 1 hand

That is absolutely correct...................Regarding LOS, takes a few years to suss out dodgy folk, I have learned.......thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Generally, I'd say it's better not to sweat the small stuff. The amount you (might) save isn't worth the content paranoia.

Turn on your caution only for the really big stuff. With a modicum of alertness, one can see a scam coming pretty early on. The one being scammed is often a facilitator due to ego being easily stoked, wishful thinking, etc.

T

• Like 2

Take each day is it comes, watch your back, keep your head up and your eyes open and a hundred other cliches I could think of. We all get a bit jaded as we get older but normally common sense and a bit of intuition enables you to determine who may or may not be trustworthy. Remember your only paranoid IF they actually aren't out to get you thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Generally, I'd say it's better not to sweat the small stuff. The amount you (might) save isn't worth the content paranoia.

Turn on your caution only for the really big stuff. With a modicum of alertness, one can see a scam coming pretty early on. The one being scammed is often a facilitator due to ego being easily stoked, wishful thinking, etc.

T

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff damn good advice cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Take each day is it comes, watch your back, keep your head up and your eyes open and a hundred other cliches I could think of. We all get a bit jaded as we get older but normally common sense and a bit of intuition enables you to determine who may or may not be trustworthy. Remember your only paranoid IF they actually aren't out to get you thumbsup.gif

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, you never met my ex UK wife of 25 years...........coffee1.gif

I'm no more on the defensive here than I am anywhere. Sure you might find the occasional taxi or Tuktuk driver who doesn't want to use the meter but TIT. If you want the ride bad enough either negotiate what you think's a fair price or find another one. I've spent hours in taxi's here and I know where I'm going and I very rarely with they take a longer route unless it's to avoid a traffic jam. I had one driver say I had to take a motorcycle taxi the rest of the way because of traffic, but it was really because he couldn't find the address. I was within a couple blocks and just walked.

In stores and businesses I find most people to be truly helpful with no ulterior motives. I seem to get the same prices my wife does.

I think it depends more on where you live and who you associate with then whether they're Thai or not.

I don't rent jet skis, buy ya baa or rent hookers, and I don't spend a lot of time in touristy areas.

Watch out for the old Ma!, that comes around on her bike beeping the horn selling mud crabs, she will rip in to ya!

but its worth it when the missus cooks up a wicked chilli crab

"...have you just learned to accept it happens?" Seems as though you have already reached your own conclusions. To me it is simply this: In any country in which foreigners are perceived as being wealthy there is the need to be alert for being overcharged. Long before Thailand I discovered this.

Pertaining to those whom I consider friends or friendly acquaintances it is much too complicated to evaluate with simply "trust or not trust" when getting into their character.