Bangkok truck driver killed, power poles knocked down on Sri Nakarin road

webfact

Truck driver killed, power poles knocked down on Sri Nakarin road

dc7d48138879d42c0ea126dc16890072-wpcf_72

BANGKOK: -- A city garbage truck driver was killed in a crash at a power pole on Sri Nakarin Road Thursday morning.

The collision with the power poles brought down altogether four poles, causing electricity blackout in the area and traffic jams.

The accident occurred around 5.00 a.m.

Initial investigation revealed the accident started by a motorcycle running past the garbage truck at close encounter, forcing the driver to swerve to the sidewalk to avoid hitting the motorcycle. But the truck lost balance and hit a power pole, killing the driver Sompong Anukul, 54, and injuring a woman.

The collision brought down four power poles and blocking the morning rush hour traffic for hours.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/truck-driver-killed-power-poles-knocked-sri-nakarin-road/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-12

That explains why I was melting when I woke up at 5.30am and the aircon had gone off . . . having observed these garbage drivers for years, I'm surprised there aren't more accidents and people killed, they drive like madmen most of them with no thought or consideration to anyone else on the roads :(

RIP fella. Fair on you for swerving, although bad luck. Next time, just hit the idiot!

I hope the motorcycle rider feels guilt... but I very much doubt it. sad.png

There is no "next time"......he's dead !!!!

• Like 1

RIP fella. Fair on you for swerving, although bad luck. Next time, just hit the idiot!

I bet he did a runner and never looked back.

I doubt he/she feels any guilt.... Thais have a much different perspective on death than we foreigners do.

Which is why, a long time ago I made a resolution in the case of motorcycles trying to overtake me or coming down the wrong lane or pulling out in front of me.... never to make emergency avoidance maneuvers where there is either other traffic on the road, pedestrians near by or ANY thing that can make me or someone else suffer... Just hit them.

Careful!!! You will incur the wrath of the emotional PC Thai-apologists brigade in TV.

Obviously unfortunate that a good Samaritan had to pay with his life for another person's imprudence.

But you are right: human life in Thailand is perceived differently as opposed to other countries.

I have been in a number of similar situations and the decision was always to maneuver in a rational, controlled way.

Swerving is an immediate reaction of drivers with little or no experience. Worse yet, drivers that never were trained to drive such truck and/or handle such situations.

In High School my driving instructor gave me a wisdom that I will never forget:

"When you are driving, hi-way or city streets, always assume that all the other drivers on the road are out there to get you. Drive defensively and never lose control of your emotions or vehicle."

There is no "next time"......he's dead !!!

I'm sure he was Buddhist! !!!

The photo doesn't seem to correctly depict the scenario described as the truck is at 90 degrees to the footpath. And how fast was he travelling in this direction to have such a fatal smach up. Hmmmmmm Always seems to be some way to save face by blaming everythin from the wet road to gremlins corssing in the drivers path.

Last year while coming home ffrom a golf game I had to wait about ten minutes behind the same type of garbage truck who had blocked the entire sub soi. When the driver appeared out of the shop he parked in front of he was carrying 4 large bottles of Chang in a plastic bag. must get a bit boring sitting in the cab all day while waiting for the fellas loading the truck load the garbage.

I doubt he/she feels any guilt.... Thais have a much different perspective on death than we foreigners do.

Which is why, a long time ago I made a resolution in the case of motorcycles trying to overtake me or coming down the wrong lane or pulling out in front of me.... never to make emergency avoidance maneuvers where there is either other traffic on the road, pedestrians near by or ANY thing that can make me or someone else suffer... Just hit them.

Hit them and still pay the price of a death, right or wrong you will be wrong

I bet you don't like sweeping statements about falangs yet you make an assumption that it was a Thai on the motorbike, why could'nt it have been a falang coming home from the bars. Oh and by the way how many motorcyclists have you mowed down since you made this resolution Rambo?