Prayuth says NCPO will not continue rice-pledging scheme

webfact

So, will the local Miller pay the farmer the same price for high quality Jasmine rice as he pays for "hard" or "course" rice? Or, will prices paid be indexed to the current world market price for high quality Jasmine rice, or any rice being sold? And, if the world market price is lower than the farmers' production costs, then?????

The 2013 world price for high quality Jasmine rice was $1,100, or about TB35,000 per metric ton at current exchange rates. Can anyone give me a quick run down of the the arbitrage of rice from the Miller until it is sold by the exporter. In other words, what are the percentages received by each person in the food chain?

Edited by Balance
  • Like 1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I can completely agree with the general on this. Cut costs maybe, but increase production?

The RPPS with it's high pledging price promoted quantity rather than quality, with buyers looking for quality at reasonable prices.

Not sure I can completely agree with the general on this. Cut costs maybe, but increase production?

The RPPS with it's high pledging price promoted quantity rather than quality, with buyers looking for quality at reasonable prices.

Rube, there's always a happy medium.thumbsup.gif

I'm not a farmer and I don't pretend to know anything about it. What I am curious about is something like a co-op, the government could buy enough fertilizer and insecticide to supply all the farmers at a greatly reduced price, give it to the farmers at a fraction of the cost of the pledging scheme. They could also begin water management plans to ensure supply. Simple minds create simple solutions, so I'm sure there is a catch to my "plan".

It's becoming blindingly obvious that Gen P. is reading the TVF and using the expats sensible ideas and suggestions. Since the coup, he has made all our wildest dreams come true. Police reform, tracking the Shin corruption, booting out corrupt officials, transparent infrastructure planning, dismantling the cult of Thaksin red shirts, we wrote about it here, and the good general is following through with it all. Time to give ourselves a big pat on the back. I wonder what he makes of all the time-warp trollers that still haven't realized that Thaksin is gone forever?

. . . and then I woke up.

Prayuth, who at this point is looking like an incredible voice of reason, has chosen to end

this corruption riddled mess that did nothing to help the farmers. As another posted noted,

he must be reading TV as he is cleaning house on the issues that negatively affected Thailand

for years. ........It is almost getting surreal at this point, as one sacred cow after another is being pitched aside. He clearly does not give a flying bleep about whose rice bowls are being

broken. Bravo !!!

And the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy are real too!!

Seriously?? If you honestly think that the General is so far out of touch with all the things that are fundamentally and morally wrong in Thailand, that he has to read about them in an online forum really makes it look like the General is an idiot, and has no concept of how Thailand needs to be "improved"

How about giving him more credibility than stating "he's reading and getting all his ideas about reformation" from an internet forum" , I'm sorry, but if the leader of a Country is relying on the concepts of fixing Thailand for the better, from a forum such as TVF, he does NOT deserve to lead it!!

I think you'll find that as much as it might surprise some people, there's more than enough Thai Academics and economists more than qualified than " goodguy" , "flickmybean" and "rampantrooter" wink.png

Relax, it was a figure of speech. Really more of a tribute to the insights of many TV

posters as to what is wrong with Thailand. So it would appear that we are all on the

same page here. But in reality, since tourism and foreign investment plays such an

important part of the Thai economy, it would not be out of line for Prayuth to assign

an English speaker to peruse some websites such as this one to get a finger on the

pulse of what farangs are thinking......

• Like 1

It's becoming blindingly obvious that Gen P. is reading the TVF and using the expats sensible ideas and suggestions. Since the coup, he has made all our wildest dreams come true. Police reform, tracking the Shin corruption, booting out corrupt officials, transparent infrastructure planning, dismantling the cult of Thaksin red shirts, we wrote about it here, and the good general is following through with it all. Time to give ourselves a big pat on the back. I wonder what he makes of all the time-warp trollers that still haven't realized that Thaksin is gone forever?

Right. Thai people didn't have these ideas on their own?

I'm not a farmer and I don't pretend to know anything about it. What I am curious about is something like a co-op, the government could buy enough fertilizer and insecticide to supply all the farmers at a greatly reduced price, give it to the farmers at a fraction of the cost of the pledging scheme. They could also begin water management plans to ensure supply. Simple minds create simple solutions, so I'm sure there is a catch to my "plan".

Well, there are Thai agri-business conglomerates who would not favor this approach, specifically with regards to supplies of fertilizer and insecticides. But even if the government subsidized the production cost side of the equation this may simply shift the problem further upstream? Still left with a glut of product which costs more to produce than it can sell for on the world commodity market.

And there have been Royal, University, Government, Industry, NGO efforts since the 1950's aimed at improving farming techniques.

You could be right, but I'm gonna' refrain from aplause "til the fat lady sings."

I really don't think the good General has any "magic wand", only the resolve

to push what he can, the best way he can. The corruption and criminal

elements in this country have existed for hundreds of years. I don't believe they

will disappear "quietly into the night". There is an entire opera to be played out

here. It's kinda like sitting in the middle of the greatest Political Science classroom.

I believe there is much going on that we have yet to realize.

From the news thread: Interim Thai government by September: junta chief

"Thailand's junta will form an interim government by September to oversee political reforms that will be followed by elections in about one year, the army chief said Friday.

Prayut has ruled out elections for at least a year to allow time for political reforms -- including the drafting of a new constitution -- which he says are necessary to end almost a decade of political turmoil and street violence."

This and the plans for the rice pledging scheme..........it sure looks like K. Suthep is getting what he wants.

• Like 1

"Whether it will be continued in the future is another matter"

Ask me tomorrow. MAgic 8 ball says,

Reply hazy try again

Ask again later
Better not tell you now
Cannot predict now
Concentrate and ask again

Now we have to help farmers cut cost and increase production

So the solution to producing too much rice is to produce more? OK, that makes perfect sense, make up a loss by selling more.

Obviously cutting costs is a factor but not sure how achievable that is given the current farming structure, which may take decades to readjust from "Sufficiency" to "globally competitive".

Your Prayuth bashing is getting very irritating.... I have gone through some of your content and it has become clear that the ONLY reason you joined TVF is to bash the coup and the general.

We all know you are an incarnate of a past red supporter... probably Pipkins, jackrich et al.

Again, your grasp of English is totally crap.

When he says 'reducing production costs and increasing production' It means an amalgamation of the two.

In child speak, that means getting more from less space... The only way to cut costs is to farm less land area, but with ability to produce more in a reduced plot thus saving on production costs while getting the same results as before.

It was YOUR government that you loved so much that created all these problems.... don't expect one man to be able to fix the biggest one overnight.... but scrapping this lunatic Thaksin policy is the first step toward achieving the fix....

Now all is left to do is get the farmers to realize that if they don't take on board these changes for their own benefit, then they are going to go very poor. That will be nobody else' fault but their own.

Edited by thumper101

What a good trillions of Baht decision.

Haggis, as one of the guys said Haggis the General has a lot on his plate with no time to read through the ThaiVisa stuff where a lot of it is full of bull shit. The General knows what is needed and is slowly crossing them off his things to do LIST. He will implement many more reforms to bring Thailand back strong and put the smiles back on the Thai people and tourists, they will be flocking back to Thailand before the end of the year.

I hope he will start to think about forming his own political party The General would sweep the board in votes.

He will be the life saver of Thailand.

• Like 1

He can be blunt but he simply can't ignore the problem. One way or the other, he will have to come up with a plan whether to subsidies or welfare. No one in Thai history ignore the farmers plight as it is dear to the king's heart.

The General has done a good job up to now but come the next elections the largest voting block,the farmers,will vote for the party that gives subsidies for the rice crop. You can't seriously think that the farmers,having been used to a decent profit for their rice,are going to put themselves at the mercy of the millers again.

There was much howling and nashing of teeth here about the huge debt of 2 trillion that the PTP were going to make to,amongst other things,build a super fast rail link, the General has just upped that to 3 trillion,whether his plans are more sensible than those of PTP ( and i think they are ) fact remains 3 trillion is a lot more debt than 2 trillion

Edited by soalbundy
  • Like 1

Your Prayuth bashing is getting very irritating.... I have gone through some of your content and it has become clear that the ONLY reason you joined TVF is to bash the coup and the general.

We all know you are an incarnate of a past red supporter... probably Pipkins, jackrich et al.

Again, your grasp of English is totally crap.

When he says 'reducing production costs and increasing production' It means an amalgamation of the two.

In child speak, that means getting more from less space... The only way to cut costs is to farm less land area, but with ability to produce more in a reduced plot thus saving on production costs while getting the same results as before.

I joined TVF on 5/5/2004.

I have never posted using a different handle.

*Edited* Will things be different this time? I don't know, and am not even sure if ramming change down people's throats is ultimately the best option?

Reducing production costs by "... is to farm less land area, but with ability to produce more in a reduced plot thus saving on production costs while getting the same results as before...", means that fewer farmers will be involved, so you need some sort of plan to deal with that effect of "reducing costs"?

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

And in addition to all of those goodies, General P has silenced all the Thaksin lovers on TV. Perfecto.

¡Viva El Generalísimo!..... ¡Viva la Revolución!

• Like 1

Prayuth, who at this point is looking like an incredible voice of reason, has chosen to end

this corruption riddled mess that did nothing to help the farmers. As another posted noted,

he must be reading TV as he is cleaning house on the issues that negatively affected Thailand

for years. ........It is almost getting surreal at this point, as one sacred cow after another is being pitched aside. He clearly does not give a flying bleep about whose rice bowls are being

broken. Bravo !!!

And the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy are real too!!

Seriously?? If you honestly think that the General is so far out of touch with all the things that are fundamentally and morally wrong in Thailand, that he has to read about them in an online forum really makes it look like the General is an idiot, and has no concept of how Thailand needs to be "improved"

How about giving him more credibility than stating "he's reading and getting all his ideas about reformation" from an internet forum" , I'm sorry, but if the leader of a Country is relying on the concepts of fixing Thailand for the better, from a forum such as TVF, he does NOT deserve to lead it!!

I think you'll find that as much as it might surprise some people, there's more than enough Thai Academics and economists more than qualified than " goodguy" , "flickmybean" and "rampantrooter" wink.png

I'm not sure that's meant to be serious but maybe I'm wrong.

I assume there'll be a lot of warehouses being sold on the cheap pretty soon.

Time to sell the rice fields then,no more rice farming for me now,there is just no money to be made but plenty of risks

Plant Durian trees., -Years ago I could get the same quantity for 30 baht---now in a carton 200 baht. but minimum wage has gone up.giggle.gif or a Lime orchard ??

last year I paid 70 baht for a small lime tree and already was in fruit. now my trees are in fruit again and the 8 trees have 10 limes on each. so this year that's 800 baht.

The leaves make really good anti mozzie protection, and also flavouring for fish dishes. they need little care except small pruning here and there.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Whether it will be continued in the future is another matter"

Ask me tomorrow. MAgic 8 ball says,

Reply hazy try again

Ask again later
Better not tell you now
Cannot predict now
Concentrate and ask again

Now we have to help farmers cut cost and increase production

So the solution to producing too much rice is to produce more? OK, that makes perfect sense, make up a loss by selling more.

Obviously cutting costs is a factor but not sure how achievable that is given the current farming structure, which may take decades to readjust from "Sufficiency" to "globally competitive".

Perhaps he should have said "Whether another corrupt political party will offer it as a hugely expensive vote-buying scheme is beyond my control."

Given the recent 80-year history of Thailand, pehaps he should have said "Whether another corrupt political party will offer it as a hugely expensive vote-buying scheme is WITHIN my control."

"Citing the problem of political conflict which, he said, is so deeply entrenched, General Prayuth warned that he might stay longer in the office if the problem was not resolved."

Heads up there for all concerned

Realy? And what's the problem? A sane leader implementing sane policies and rooting out corruption and wastefulness. The country can't afford another 9 years of "democracy".

Where did I say there was a problem? I pointed out that a warning shot was being fired. Play nicely children and learn to behave for everyone's sake is the message I see.

Now we have to help farmers cut cost and increase production."

This will be the most effective course to follow for the future of Thai farming...let the market place set the REAL price of rice and other goods...not a good policy...to have farmers looking for entitlements...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And in addition to all of those goodies, General P has silenced all the Thaksin lovers on TV. Perfecto.

¡Viva El Generalísimo!..... ¡Viva la Revolución!

I think we can give TV some thanks too for supporting General's pursuit of Happiness for the Thai people:
"Thaivisa will temporarily impose strict limitations on any comments that can be construed as being negative about the imposition of Martial Law or the Coup.
It is the hope of Thaivisa that this will be a temporary situation.
Thaivisa will continue to monitor the situation and it is our wish that in a short while we will be able to less strict in the policy concerning posting.
Posts contravening the policy will be removed without notice."