Stop Tipping The Baht Bus Drivers........

dirtyfalang

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been here for 15 years. smile.png

Fluent reader and writer having passed my Por 6 seven years ago.smile.png

If people are poor and get steamed up over $4 it's not my fault.

Congratulations on your communications skills. But you've learned little of the Thai psychic.

The locals know the value of money and don't squander it.

Besides that -and if you're not a troll- you are an expert on Thailand, the Thai people and we the unwashed of this forum are truly lucky to benefit from your vast knowledge clap2.gif

You can't stop it , yesterday I saw newly arrived tourists stopping the regular baht bus that I took and asking for the price . The driver will not answer 10 baht, that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by balo

As baht buses are for poor people, am suprised they can affordto tip

Baht buses are the best thing about Pattaya. Brilliant. Easy to use, go most places along the beaches and back even Jomtien and Naklua.

They are what makes Pattaya a user friendly place much easier that Hua Hin , Sanui or Phuket.

Just have some change in your pocket that is the key.

I agree, they are fantatsic. I think people should be thanking those that tip, if the drivers were not getting such large tips they may want the price increased and that would really impact on the poorest of residents that use them

Edited by PattayaPhom

One post removed:

8) Do not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities or to incite useless arguments by avoiding troll activity.

I do pay (not tip) 20 baht occasionally. After leaving the North Road bus terminal, I cross and wait for a baht bus. Sometimes an empty Sukhumvit-bound bus u-turns and picks me up. If he/she takes me all the way to Pattaya Klang, I'll toss him/her 20. I consider that payment for good service. Same if I get a ride from the same spot all the way to Mike's Mall (Mikhail's Mall?) or beyond. I consider that worthy of 20 baht.

As someone did, you can't compare drivers here to the ones back home. You pay the transit authority for your pass, which pays the driver a very nice salary, big benefits and sizeable pension. Baht bus drivers get nothing but the money from fares. Which doesn't excuse them from ignoring me along Klang as they have done many times late in the evening.

A Baht bus thread rolleyes.gif

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I wonder if......whistling.gif

A bit slow today but he did make it in at #9...

probably trying out a restaurant for a review...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

regarding OP signature he wished us to read: Some confuse money with class. That seems to be the case here.

You want this place to turn into transport rip off like Phuket? Perhaps move there: they seem to charge 100 for what would be 10 here. No arguing about over tipping, as price already includes too much. Problem solved.

I give 100b.

That's not even $4.

Don't be so tight guys.

Welcome turista!

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Notice he has only sent in a few posts, so maybe he is a real live NEWBIE? Don't worry, he'll get over it.....maybe after........................... someone nicks his hand-bag

Tipping make sense,after all the baht bus drivers are very poor,living in a extremely poor country wink.png .

Stupid is as stupid does.....

By the way thailands GDP is 28th in the world not so extremely poor after all.

Ever heard about irony :rolleyes: !!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I give 100b.

That's not even $4.

Don't be so tight guys.

I like your style,

and with another 100b they'll kick the other riff-raff off and take you right to your door.

These baht bus threads are hilarious, most should be kicked over to the All Things Cheap Charlie forum,

as the hand wringing over paying an extra 10b becomes tedious.

whistling.gifbiggrin.png

Edited by cobra
  • Like 1

Agreed, and whilst at it, stop wai'ing the bellboy, shop assistant and the street food vendor, it makes us all appear stupid.

I've seen foreigners tipping 7-11 clerks, as a result, many 7-11s in major tourist areas now have tip boxes.

We don't appear stupid- we already have that T- shirt smile.png

I see that Asia bookshop has also got in on the act and now have a tipping box.

I wonder how many people advocating tipping baht bus drivers here give tips to bus drivers back in their home country!

Not really the same, in my home country the municipal bus drivers were very well paid with benefits. People would give something for Christmas in the "spirit of giving". Always gave gifts to the school bus driver. That said, I seldom tip a baht bus driver although if I am his only fare I will give something.

I wonder how many people advocating tipping baht bus drivers here give tips to bus drivers back in their home country!

Not really the same, in my home country the municipal bus drivers were very well paid with benefits. People would give something for Christmas in the "spirit of giving". Always gave gifts to the school bus driver. That said, I seldom tip a baht bus driver although if I am his only fare I will give something.

The problem is that very very few westerners understand how much money baht bus operators really make, the assumption is that they are poor simply because the fare is only 20 baht. But 15 passengers per day and he's just made average daily wage, another 15 passengers and he's paid for his truck payment, another 15 passengers and his daily fuel is paid for - he only needs 45 passengers per day, But scratch all that where he lands a couple of tourists who get charged 100 baht per trip, let's say that happens three times a day, my guess is that they make over 30k a month, more than many farangs here live on, according to a recent poll!

The problem is that very very few westerners understand how much money baht bus operators really make, the assumption is that they are poor simply because the fare is only 20 baht. But 15 passengers per day and he's just made average daily wage, another 15 passengers and he's paid for his truck payment, another 15 passengers and his daily fuel is paid for - he only needs 45 passengers per day, But scratch all that where he lands a couple of tourists who get charged 100 baht per trip, let's say that happens three times a day, my guess is that they make over 30k a month, more than many farangs here live on, according to a recent poll!

Edited by ThaiBob

You have essentially doubled their salaries since the fare is 10 and not 20 baht, but I will give you that. Then there are the obvious factors, high season vs low season. My beach masseur makes 35000-40000 in the high season, a fraction of that in the low season. In fact, several have gone back to the village because they can not make a living. Taxi drivers in most countries are not known for their wealth and the job is considered low-end dead-end profession with few benefits. As I said I do not tip baht bus drivers, but do not berate those that do. Whatever makes you happy.

Btw,a foreigner must show income or savings equivalent to over 65k per month to retire here, otherwise choose to live somewhere else at the Thai government's request.

Whether the taxi drivers make a good living or not is not relevant to this topic. OP claims that people tipping drives the price upwards.

The price has been 10 Baht on route now for how many years ?

All these years tourists (and others) have been tipping the drivers so his statement is proven false.

On top af that he finds it necessary to shout (using capitals) his order to us members.

I not only find that of very bad taste but enticing to do exactly the opposite (but that's just me).

Anyway I believe that only the individuals that have the licences to operate the taxi's and from which the drivers have to rent the cars are making a lot of money, high season, low season, day shift or night shift they get paid.

Yermanee wai.gif

p.s. the above is solely regarding the baht busses in Pattaya.

• Like 2

The fare is 10 baht. Not 20 baht so get a grip! Yes buses also hustle for legit charter rides going for 200 baht plus. A typical driver clears over 1000 baht profit per working day. Give your charity to people more needy than that I'd say like family Mart clerks!

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do you mean there are others, apart from you that pay 10 baht!

I farang follow wife lead:

she no take coin change back, and always for good luck charity, will donate coin back for chok dee mak. There's usually a Donation box no matter where you are, if only you actually look for it...

Tipping make sense,after all the baht bus drivers are very poor,living in a extremely poor country wink.png .

Dear Mr Naive

I have only been participating in Thai Visa Forum for a few weeks now and I think it has been put together fantastically.

But reading some of the posts I can’t stop rolling around my house laughing cheesy.gif great entertainment every day.

People living and working in Pattaya and surrounding areas are not poor people including the Baht Bus Drivers.

The majority of girls here are earning good money each month many have more spare cash to live on then many of the expats living here. Some of the girls choose to rent a small dirty (outside of building the inside is normally kept clean and tidy) room but they rarely stay there they are always with boyfriendssss staying at their hotel, condo or house their room is to “lay their hat” as the song goes and they enjoy their work not many people can say that these days.

Back to Baht bus drivers and we have one that plays for our local pool team earn and live very well and are sending home as much cash as they can (thats what Thai people want to do) and that’s a different story some of the people at home receiving the cash are living a very nice comfortable lifestyle nice house with Rai’s of land animals any Farang at home in their own county with a small holding like that would be very proud of owning. I asked him last night when playing pool how’s work? the answer was “very good job I like” and I asked him why do you take wife and baby to work with you and after a few beers which I paid for he answered “good for tips wife and baby get more tips than me”.

Please don’t feel sorry for Thai people they are a proud nation and they don’t want your pity they want your money just like any business person the world over.

It is all business here and to enjoy your time as I do you have to accept that and take it for what it is and I am sure as I am you will be happy living in PATTAYA.

Dear Mr Naive

I have only been participating in Thai Visa Forum for a few weeks now and I think it has been put together fantastically.

But reading some of the posts I can’t stop rolling around my house laughing cheesy.gif great entertainment every day.

People living and working in Pattaya and surrounding areas are not poor people including the Baht Bus Drivers.

The majority of girls here are earning good money each month many have more spare cash to live on then many of the expats living here. Some of the girls choose to rent a small dirty (outside of building the inside is normally kept clean and tidy) room but they rarely stay there they are always with boyfriendssss staying at their hotel, condo or house their room is to “lay their hat” as the song goes and they enjoy their work not many people can say that these days.

Back to Baht bus drivers and we have one that plays for our local pool team earn and live very well and are sending home as much cash as they can (thats what Thai people want to do) and that’s a different story some of the people at home receiving the cash are living a very nice comfortable lifestyle nice house with Rai’s of land animals any Farang at home in their own county with a small holding like that would be very proud of owning. I asked him last night when playing pool how’s work? the answer was “very good job I like” and I asked him why do you take wife and baby to work with you and after a few beers which I paid for he answered “good for tips wife and baby get more tips than me”.

Please don’t feel sorry for Thai people they are a proud nation and they don’t want your pity they want your money just like any business person the world over.

It is all business here and to enjoy your time as I do you have to accept that and take it for what it is and I am sure as I am you will be happy living in PATTAYA.

Again.......Irony doesn`t seem to go down well by some BM`s.Been coming here for 20 years and been living here for the last couple of years so I know the things you describe above.

Edited by Yahooka