Thai editorial: Time to derail this gravy train

webfact

A benevolent dictatorship is superior to a corrupt democracy.

I agree, but unfortunately the benevolency of a dictator is often in conflict with the absolute power corrupting absolutely theory.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True but almost impossible to find. Some start off with good intentions & then the power corrupts syndrome comes into play. Many examples the world over of this.

• Like 1

Now these are the kinds of subsidies I agree Thailand would be better off without! biggrin.png

As do I, we only differ on the farmers (permanent) subsidy, a temporarily one to change crops.. methods or to get out of farming (in the Netherlands they paid fishermen to stop fishing) would be more to my liking as it solves something instead of keeping them dependent on the government.

I wonder how many people are still against the junta.. though I am the first to admit they made a stupid mistake with facebook and those lies. I also don't like that there is less freedom of the media. But I gladly suffer those two points to see all the positive things they do.

Not the least getting rid of Taksin and tackling loads of real problems.

meeting fees?

Aren't meetings part of the job description? Did they get paid extra to go to the toilet and read the newspaper?

UK any official gets an attendance fee + expenses for travel to and from + food allowance.

It is expected. Just the same as a (football referee) he would get his travel expenses, match fee and meal allowance.

It is when these fees are way out of proportion that the problem starts, there are small perks in every work place BUT not big perks to run a company in to a loss making enterprise.

• Like 2

Now these are the kinds of subsidies I agree Thailand would be better off without! biggrin.png

As do I, we only differ on the farmers (permanent) subsidy, a temporarily one to change crops.. methods or to get out of farming (in the Netherlands they paid fishermen to stop fishing) would be more to my liking as it solves something instead of keeping them dependent on the government.

I wonder how many people are still against the junta.. though I am the first to admit they made a stupid mistake with facebook and those lies. I also don't like that there is less freedom of the media. But I gladly suffer those two points to see all the positive things they do.

Is Taksin gone? Agreed that the coup broke the political impasse, a dis-functioning government and tackling economic bottlenecks.

Is Taksin gone? Agreed that the coup broke the political impasse, a dis-functioning government and tackling economic bottlenecks.

Maybe not gone totally.. but if it goes on like this he won't have much of a chance next time.

Maybe not gone totally.. but if it goes on like this he won't have much of a chance next time.

The only way he will not have a chance is if they completely amend the constitution so its simply impossible for anyone other than the Democrats or an army party to get in, which is no doubt what they plan.

Reconciliation is not alienating 48.41% of the voting population, by persecuting one person whilst ignoring all other wrong doers.

They must have pretty low opinion of 48.41% intelligence if they think they will not notice what is happening when it comes to the next election.

• Like 1

Know of any benevolent dictatorship that you can qoute?

Thailand---unique in this type of administration.

If the junta stop calling in and arresting people who has a different point of view and answered for those missing after the coup,then perhaps we can call them benevolent. Still I do like the way they look at corruption, straighten up the SOE and took care of economic matters. I also hope the NCPO will have a look at unions and rid the militant leaders who have political allegiance rather than taking care of their members. Early days though and can only judge when all the reforms are completed. Hope he keeps the momentum and not relent to more powerful forces.

• Like 1

I agree that these steps are positive for Thailand, and if they continue, puts Thailand on the path of decreasing corruption. However, it is important for these institutions be open to public inspection. Thailand needs to publicly show the compensation of government paid salaries and to allow the media to cover all aspects of government without fear of prosecution or imprisonment for fact-based reporting.

• Like 1

The only way he will not have a chance is if they completely amend the constitution so its simply impossible for anyone other than the Democrats or an army party to get in, which is no doubt what they plan.

Reconciliation is not alienating 48.41% of the voting population, by persecuting one person whilst ignoring all other wrong doers.

They must have pretty low opinion of 48.41% intelligence if they think they will not notice what is happening when it comes to the next election.

It is not about not having PTP in power (maybe for some it is) but to make sure they can't do what they did last time. Going for total control with disregards for the rules. If the checks and balances are strengthened to make sure they can't it will be enough for most. I know it will be enough for me if they can't rob the country blind anymore or try to get dear leader back.

Basically they won't be able to make too much money out of winning the election so dear leader wont invest too much to win it. That is enough for most. They will be tied to the rules and checked all the time.

So the way to improve this is to take total control themselves and remove any last things resembling checks and balances. Who is going to be the check and balance over the next 2 years?

And then amending the constitution so only friendly persons can get into power, how is that better? Surely that is exactly the same thing as they are allegedly fighting against? abuse of power and making political law changes to ensure their continued want is met.

It is not about not having PTP in power (maybe for some it is) but to make sure they can't do what they did last time. Going for total control with disregards for the rules. If the checks and balances are strengthened to make sure they can't it will be enough for most. I know it will be enough for me if they can't rob the country blind anymore or try to get dear leader back.

Basically they won't be able to make too much money out of winning the election so dear leader wont invest too much to win it. That is enough for most. They will be tied to the rules and checked all the time.

So the way to improve this is to take total control themselves and remove any last things resembling checks and balances. Who is going to be the check and balance over the next 2 years?

And then amending the constitution so only friendly persons can get into power, how is that better? Surely that is exactly the same thing as they are allegedly fighting against? abuse of power and making political law changes to ensure their continued want is met.

Absolute biased on sided view-of sour grapes. Any thing is better than the disgraced PTP.

Absolute biased on sided view-of sour grapes. Any thing is better than the disgraced PTP.

Oh the irony!!!!

Nowhere in my post have i made any comment on the PTP being good, or not corrupt etc etc etc

I was merely pointing out replacing one poor Government, by replacing it with something similar to what it was despised for, is not a good long term plan.

• Like 1

The army will find it exceedingly difficult to derail any of these "gravy trains" because the gravy has congealed a long time ago.

Anyone would find it difficult, Who has made the train go off the rails ??? who has congealed it especially the last 3 years,

Of course it is a Mega problem for anyone BUT someone has to try better than your pessimistic doom and gloom, If you were down and out in your life at some stage and you were offered a little help so you could make it through wouldn't you be happy ???

But for a few on forum everything has turned against their dream.

Thaksin has not gone and the coup has done nothing at all to break the political impasse, it will all resurface in the months to come as you all will see.

And economically the bottlenecks will prove next to impossible to eliminate, things are looking bad for a variety of obtuse reasons, things are getting out of your new governments control, Thailand is like a wild horse but with buffalo mentality.

Thaksin has not gone and the coup has done nothing at all to break the political impasse, it will all resurface in the months to come as you all will see.

And economically the bottlenecks will prove next to impossible to eliminate, things are looking bad for a variety of obtuse reasons, things are getting out of your new governments control, Thailand is like a wild horse but with buffalo mentality.

HAD a quote "buffalo mentality" with the PTP

I agree that these steps are positive for Thailand, and if they continue, puts Thailand on the path of decreasing corruption. However, it is important for these institutions be open to public inspection. Thailand needs to publicly show the compensation of government paid salaries and to allow the media to cover all aspects of government without fear of prosecution or imprisonment for fact-based reporting.

Absolutely and should also include the military institutions. As soon as I hear that the General is embarking on an army reform, I will start believing in the coup.

What the HEL# do you think he is doing--picking his nose ??? he is trying to pave the way to doing what you stated, so for starters try to believe a little Thailand has nothing to lose by doing this.

Walking in to a few hundred Thai public company board rooms and seeing the photos of countless generals on the wall of the board rooms was always puzzling. Until it became clear. They are all patronage appointed positions. The Thai army is nothing more than a security force for the Thai business class elite establishment. That's what this is all about. When things reach the "disturbance" level and fear of rioting and most of all, looting kicks in, they call their old friend whose picture is on the board room wall and inform him it is time. That's what's been going on for decades in Thailand.

The Thai army is not a fighting force as we know fighting forces, it couldn't prevent closure of the international airport or chose not to and sat by watching the mayhem and chaos internationally and economically. The Thais rarely if ever send forces to troubled spots, they can't seem to come up with a way to stop revolutionary guerilla killing and bombing in the south of their own land for over ten years, there is no real security provided by the Thai army. They can't even spot a commercial 777 jetliner flying off course over their southern land and seashore or scramble a jet to check it out. Human trafficking goes on every day all over Thailand and its sea provinces and the Thai army seems powerless to stop it or unwilling. So it's clear to see that it's really just a protection or security force for the Thai establishment who live behind those gated walls and in those staff driven MBs and exclusive clubs and golf courses.

Their doing all this purging and so called reform, and some it is well intentioned and a good idea. The questions are who is ultimately accountable for all these decisions? Where will the buck stop when some of these decisions go stale or become ineffective or wrong? What about transparency? While they are purging state board members in THAI and elsewhere, are they also looking to remove some of the army generals who have absolutely no expertise or value add to the businesses on which they sit as paid board members? What about publishing the salaries, perqs, benefits and retirement plans for the military? Do they plan to be really transparent and prove it?

This is a very interesting point of view. Thanks for sharing it with us.

• Like 1

While I don't like the idea of a coup - this is the least bad coup you could have. General Prayuth is shining a floodlight on all the cockroaches and they are running for cover!

Agree reluctantly. Have come to the sad conclusion that democracy is just not for Thailand.

If they have not developed any significant political maturity after 80+ years of proto-democracy, and have demonstrated through 18+coups and countless dictatorships that authoritarianism is what works, we just have to hope for a local Lee Kwan Yu. Otherwise, we return to the violent kindergarten which is Thai "democracy"

• Like 1

When the Junta has finished its role here , please do the same with the Australian politicians,

This is just another announcement too, just like education, taxi's etc. While they all sound good, I doubt they have any real interest or ability to do the hard work to implement these changes.

As crap as our politicians are at the moment, I would still prefer them to a dictatorship. At least we get to feel good when we kick them out.

Besides, how many hours do you think it would take for the Australian population to destroy the Thai military and have the survivors running home crying to their mums. Might even break their record for surrender to the Japanese.

• Like 1

Absolutely and should also include the military institutions. As soon as I hear that the General is embarking on an army reform, I will start believing in the coup.

What the HEL# do you think he is doing--picking his nose ??? he is trying to pave the way to doing what you stated, so for starters try to believe a little Thailand has nothing to lose by doing this.

You dont change my mind with the nose picking analogy. I want to see deeds, not words. I want to see total reform, not selective. Every coup started with the same excuses of breaking political impasse, bring back happiness, corruption too rampant and ended with an agenda. Then we start the cycle all over again. I cant be a believer if we had precedents like past coups. I am not an easy believer like you too. This coup may be different but yet to run its course. I will reserve judgement till then.

• Like 2