Cell Phone Service Provider... Which One?

richchin

I'm new to Bangkok and will be staying here indefinitely. My company will be applying for a cellular post-paid service number for me but with so many choices I don't know which is the best choice. I have also been hearing about recent service outages from AIS which also factors into my decision.

I will be spending 35% of my time traveling abroad so need to have good roaming services as well. I like to use SMS, and use it alot (a habit I picked up in my last stint in Shanghai).

Can anyone advise on a good suitable service provider as well as one with a package that is suitable for me?

Appreciate it.

Cheers!

Do you think TRUE is a real player in this industry and can compete with AIS or DTAC?

At the moment, I don't think that True has the upcountry coverage that the others do.

DTAC is also for me, and I have never had a problem with Intnl roaming

• 1 month later...

I've had AIS for the last nine years, post-paid, and am generally happy with it. Yes, there have been some "network busy" messages recently, but not too many. Never had any problem with coverage or overseas roaming or SMS.

I considered changing to DTAC recently, and was attracted by their ZAD package, where for 299 a month you can register 5 numbers and phone them free. BUT, on asking, I found that the 5 numbers must be other DTAC mobiles. As I don't phone anyone much who is on DTAC, seemed a waste of money.

So, I stick with AIS.

Cheers,

G

Can I get DTAC post-paid roaming service if I don't have a permanent address in Thailand? i.e. using passport and credit card ... or something else?

You need a passport and work permit to get post-paid. Can't you use your office address? They will probably want to see your credit card before they will let you have roaming - don't know why though.

Can I get DTAC post-paid roaming service if I don't have a permanent address in Thailand? i.e. using passport and credit card ... or something else?

You need a passport and work permit to get post-paid. Can't you use your office address? They will probably want to see your credit card before they will let you have roaming - don't know why though.

Or do it in the wife or girl friend's name.

I would also stick with DTAC - AIS prtty much sucks in recent months...

While Hutch is fine in Bangkok - it can be a pain in the ass upcoutry - its nice for mobile high speed connection though (they got some nice data cards)

cheers

cyber