Poll shows junta’s rice farmer payment outstanding performance

Lite Beer

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the junta just paid the debts that YL had been trying to pay for months, but had been blocked by the "democrats".

I wonder how many posters on this thread live in Thailand, or pay tax here or have any personal experience of rice farming in Thailand. I would guess 30%, 1%, 0.001%

Farmers have subsidised other sectors of the Thai economy and Thai society for the best part of the last 60 years. As the Thai economy continues its process of restructuring from feudal to subsistence to a developing economy it's perfectly reasonable for the farming sector to be subsidised - just as it is in the EU and the USA, and many other parts of the world.

Now before I start to rely on theNation provided figures, may be you can be kind enough to provide the figures which clearly show how Thai farmers have subsidised other sectors of the Thai economy and society for the best part of the last 60 years?

Furthermore please qualify and especially quantify why subsidising the farming sector is perfectly reasonable. The Rice Price Pledging Scheme targetting only the Rice sector seems to have left the BAAC with a 700 to 1,000 billion deficit guaranteed by the Yingluck Administration. Since 2011-10-07 when it started! Now that really needs some justification in terms of value to Thailand in general and it's economy and society specifically.

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

Simple

Question 1. Read any economic history of Thailand (written in English or translated into English I'm guessing) that considers the post-WW2 period. There aren't many so it should be easy for you to find one. But please try to read a book on the topic rather than a 2-minute column in a rightwing rag.

Question 2. Harder to answer if you have no education in economics. Ask yourself why Prayuth is praised for following YL`s policy of growing the Thai GDP. Answer: simple Keynsian economics. Applied most successfully in my continent and yours for many years.

• Like 1

Why continue in an occupation or business that is not viable ?? All the VCR repairmen around the world had to find a new career when DVD came out. Nobody is holding a gun to these peoples heads telling them to continue farming rice. wink.png

The country can survive without VCR repairmen but it can't survive without rice farmers. facepalm.gif

"They reason rice payment as the outstanding performance because farmers have been exploited and unjustly treated for a lon time. Payment will enable them to continue planting for the new crop season."

Yet as per another news article in another thread. These same farmers are crying poor and have their hands out begging the regime to give them a supplement so they can plant a new crop. Unbelievable. facepalm.gif

Not unbelievable when you take into account the loans and interest these farmers had to get just to eat and have electric for many months while the YL gov twiddled their thumbs blaming everyone else for the inability to pay.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

YL was not twiddling her thumbs. She was trying to hang on to her democratically-elected government and then trying to stage new elections to reaffirm her mandate. The non-payment was directly the fault of Suthep and the Election Committee.

Simple

Question 1. Read any economic history of Thailand (written in English or translated into English I'm guessing) that considers the post-WW2 period. There aren't many so it should be easy for you to find one. But please try to read a book on the topic rather than a 2-minute column in a rightwing rag.

Question 2. Harder to answer if you have no education in economics. Ask yourself why Prayuth is praised for following YL`s policy of growing the Thai GDP. Answer: simple Keynsian economics. Applied most successfully in my continent and yours for many years.

Well, please let me thank you for these non-answers. Now all is clear.

Now I don't have to feel guilty paying attention again to the "don't stop me now" program on channel7 at the moment. rolleyes.gif

Let's not forget these payments were result of Yingluck's program. The junta just delivered them.

The junta didnt just pay them. They made people get off their butts and money to do it. You call it YLs program. But all she did was make unkept promises to the farmers. Only the PTP would call it their program. Everyone else is calling it their FAILED progam

The junta made people get off their butts and got the money because they have guns and don't have to seek anyone else's approval.

This poll shows the program was a success, even though the payments were delayed due the political pressure of a minority lead by Suthep and YL's underestimation of the suffering Suthep was willing to lay on the Thai people in order to get his way.

"They reason rice payment as the outstanding performance because farmers have been exploited and unjustly treated for a lon time. Payment will enable them to continue planting for the new crop season."

Yet as per another news article in another thread. These same farmers are crying poor and have their hands out begging the regime to give them a supplement so they can plant a new crop. Unbelievable. facepalm.gif

Not unbelievable when you take into account the loans and interest these farmers had to get just to eat and have electric for many months while the YL gov twiddled their thumbs blaming everyone else for the inability to pay.

YL was not twiddling her thumbs. She was trying to hang on to her democratically-elected government and then trying to stage new elections to reaffirm her mandate. The non-payment was directly the fault of Suthep and the Election Committee.

Not so smart, Bill.

Mid-2013 the Yingluck Administration said to need 270 billion Baht for the 2013/2014 RPPS period and to have the funding. Slowly rumours about non-payment started to emerge and in December 2013 the, by now caretaker, government suddenly wanted to borrow 130 billion. With the RPPS now nearly ended close to 200 billion has been paid out since December 2013.

Edited by rubl

Ohh so it was Sutheps fault they didnt pay the farmers last october before the protests? It was Sutheps fault they resigned thinking a fast election would reaffirm their power? It was Sutheps fault they found billions of baht missing from that scheme? So it must have been Sutheps fault they illegally tried to get the money they lost to pay the farmers by putting the next gov into even more debt with loans from banks? Wow! The way you think would make everyone believe Suthep created, planned, mismanaged, lost money, and tried to fix it by getting money illegally? Why isnt Suthep trying to delay NACC hearing now for this instead of YL?

• Like 2

Let's not forget these payments were result of Yingluck's program. The junta just delivered them.

The junta didnt just pay them. They made people get off their butts and money to do it. You call it YLs program. But all she did was make unkept promises to the farmers. Only the PTP would call it their program. Everyone else is calling it their FAILED progam

The junta made people get off their butts and got the money because they have guns and don't have to seek anyone else's approval.

This poll shows the program was a success, even though the payments were delayed due the political pressure of a minority lead by Suthep and YL's underestimation of the suffering Suthep was willing to lay on the Thai people in order to get his way.

The polls shows the appreciation for the NCPO's efforts on getting the long time delayed payments to the farmers. That has nothing to do with a program being a success or not.

The delay of payments started many months before PM Yingluck dissolved the House. Furthermore the Yingluck Administration had said mid-2013 to need 270 billion for 2013/2014 RPPS and have the funding. Since the caretaker Yingluck administration tried to borrow 130 billion in December 2013 a total of close to 200 billion has been paid out. Partlially financed from rice sales, partially borrowed. All to be paid back to the BAAC which has paid out close to 1,000,000,000,000 and may have received slightly more than 200 billion to cover those costs. How much more can be made from rice stocks is unclear, but what seems clear is that this 'revolving' funds at BAAC will never revolve again. A debt guaranteed by the Yingluck government.bah.gif

• Like 1

So many strange assertions here, I really would be interested to know

- who actually has been in Thailand at least for the last 6 months

- who pays tax here

- who has any personal knowledge of rice farming in Thailand

I still think it's probably around 30%, 1%, 0.001%.

The payments were delayed long before Suthep showed up on the scene. Also you should smarten up a bit more bill. This poll showed people were happy the junta took paying these farmers seriously and quickly. Not that it was a success.

Actually the junta just paid the debts that YL had been trying to pay for months, but had been blocked by the "democrats".

I wonder how many posters on this thread live in Thailand, or pay tax here or have any personal experience of rice farming in Thailand. I would guess 30%, 1%, 0.001%

You may be right on the 30% and 0.001%. But the middle number is just wrong! 100% of the westerners living in Thailand pay tax, maybe not an income tax but surely the 7% VAT tax on most things they buy.

You're not Smart. Don't rewrite history. The payments stopped before Suthep's protests started.

• Like 1

It seems that most of the posters here get get their economic and political wisdom straight and unadulterated from The Nation; kind of makes it hard to discuss anything with any intelligence.

You're looking in the wrong place for intelligent debate. And lets face it, there is little difference between The Nation or the Bangkok Post. Thai Ploilitics should be viewed as a spectator sport. It really makes no difference of peoples views on here. Even if they could vote their influence would be minimal to no existant. Still it's fun to see some of them make fools of themselves with some of the comments made.

Trying to rewrite history are we, how was it a successful program The lose hasn't been realised yet, but they have now been created. As long as PTP did not pay the farmers, they could claim there is no lose, so they took their time in not paying the farmers. Soon we will know how much it cost the nation!

Not so smart, Bill.

Mid-2013 the Yingluck Administration said to need 270 billion Baht for the 2013/2014 RPPS period and to have the funding. Slowly rumours about non-payment started to emerge and in December 2013 the, by now caretaker, government suddenly wanted to borrow 130 billion. With the RPPS now nearly ended close to 200 billion has been paid out since December 2013.

Thanks for saving me the effort Rubl. thumbsup.gif

You're not Smart. Don't rewrite history. The payments stopped before Suthep's protests started.

The first of your 3 sentence was enough Pmugghc. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Gg I kind of agree with u, BP is right of centre, and TN is just left of Attila the Hun. My concerns are that...

- there is no centre-politics English language news outlet in this country

- the "no need to pay" news here is extremely right of centre

- there is a conscious or unconscious policy here to support the "no need to pay' news editorial position

- there is no left-of-centre news in English to counterbalance the right of centre news.

Edited by ajarnsiam
  • Like 1

Of course there is a "loss" with the rice pledge, dont u get it....

It's a subsidy by another name, just as we have in the EU or USA!

Subsidy?

You may have missed that the Yingluck Administration had BAAC set up a 'revolving' funds of 500 billion with the idea of doing payment out of it and put back revenue from rice sales into it.

Of course, the 'we in Europe/USA' suggests you're not Thai, and therefore I can understand that this gem in Pheu Thai actions thought out by their thinker abroad is beyond your understanding.

Rubi, I didn't say it was a subsidy, I said "it's a subsidy by another name", which is an extremely accurate description.

It's a small subsidy compared to US or EU subsidies. Mr Prayuth has received praise for honouring it. The honouring of it has raised the Thai GDP above the unacceptably low levels incurred by 6 months of insurrection.

I

Rice farming can't be an easy way to make a living BUT it seems to me that one of the unexpected effects that the failed pledging scheme has had is to put farmers into a ' dependency ' frame of mind where they now expect to be looked after without question.

Very timely post and I agree. It is easy for a populous to become dependent on government hand outs. Case in point. The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U. S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 47.5 million people. Some of the recipients are fourth generation recipients.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U. S. Department of the Interior, asks us "Please do not feed the wildlife." Their stated reason for the policy is because “The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves.”

Social democracy and the entitlement mentality have destroyed freedom and social fabric and empowered thieves and rapists of a nation.

Agree 100%. Is there a place to slip in the comment that the politicians have grown dependent on the votes of the dependent?

• Like 2

U guys have totally missed the point, the Thai economy has been subsidised by the the farming sector for the last 60 years.

Ie the farmers have been handing out to everyone. Including u expats who want "free" retirement healthcate.

Edited by ajarnsiam