Have you ever seen Pattaya so empty of tourists?

Jingthing

Hard to miss when bars empty, shops empty, hotels empty.

Will be interesting to see how many business will close down shortly.

Interesting not the excitement but rather curious.

Few hours ago I was the only customer in bar in soi buakhao

What you need to consider is how many of the local businesses rely solely on tourists

compared to how many rely on Thai's and expats?

I think the majority rely on Thai's and expats.

I've also noticed more Thais visiting Pattaya from other areas than in previous years,

especially during the weekends.

And there's still quite a few of our Russian & Indian speaking friends roaming around.

I have to disagree with you. Majority of businesses rely on tourists. Locals and expats hardly pay the rents let alone bills and wages.

Yes more Thai come to visit over the weekend but they seem to drive in, drive around and drive out.

Russians that I see are all on pre paid tours.

Someone mentioned discounts. Works in theory, but at the moment not much point to offer discounts if no people around at all.

Also keep in mind, locals have much less spending power because they do not make any money .

Noticed a number of developments frozen as well

Here in Chiang Mai, my local watering hole is almost empty every night.

I've been looking at moving to a new condo, and have been offered discounts if I rent for a year, over and above the normal 12 month discounts. I've chosen a nice place, and the owner will hold it for me for 2 months until I return. Amazing.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Las Vegas thought they were immune to bad times too - and many people lost jobs, lost their homes and money. What makes Pattaya and Phuket think "that can't happen here." - because it's Thailand????? Phuket and Pattaya have been grossly over-built as well as over-priced - they are not immune to a global slowdown.

Ah yes, where did I hear that before...oh yes, about 15 years ago when I first came to Pattaya.

@ UKguyinthai

I totally agree, from a qualitative perspective they could increase the 'value' or the bar experience.

After all that is one of the things that I think most people were initially drawn to.

I'm quite happy to buy a girl a drink and give her a tip if there charming hostess, but not if they demand it.

There's been a couple of times iv explained this ( nicely ) and the response is usual ok. Many guys just say ignore it and walk on, but then the lesson is not learnt. Every business and employee should try the best for themselves and the business so constructive feedback is essential for the learning prosess.

If you get ambushed I find the best thing is to say 'I don't buy girls I don't know drinks' it's firm to the point and gives an option for a new approach, or conversation that could lead to a drink or tip :)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Yes I have noticed many price increases for sure. Like a buffet I used to like went went up 25 percent since last month so I looked at it but they had stopped offering the main dish I used to go there for. Good move ... they got nada from me. Raise the price and offer less, good business IF you can get it.

Look after the expats, they will look after you in hard times.I had to explain this concept to a Thai friend on Ko Chang in 08 when the GFC hit.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What you need to consider is how many of the local businesses rely solely on tourists

I've also noticed more Thais visiting Pattaya from other areas than in previous years,

And there's still quite a few of our Russian & Indian speaking friends roaming around.

Given the type of oppressive government that most Russians grew up in, a military dictatorship is no reason not to go to Thailand smile.png It is quite different with tourists from North America, Europe and Australia thumbsup.gif Gen Prayuth may very well be a brilliant manager and may have the best interest of the Thai people at heart, however if he does not move the electoral process up I fear that as bad as this past tourist high season was that this coming winter season may be even worse sad.png The world economy is still not very robust, and there are chinks (sorry for the PUN) in the Chinese armor with the second month of declining real estate prices just released yesterday, as well as massive inventory buildups in the Japanese economy, the European economy is flat at best, the U.S. is only marginally better and with china faltering the Aussie economy could be in for quite a hiccup as their economic boom over the past 10 years or so was directly tied to the Chinese economy. Given that tourisim accounts for around 10% of the Thai economy, the good General had better figure out a way for the Thai export sector to increase substantially very soon to make up the difference, and the only way that will likely occur is if the Baht is devalued so that products produced in Thailand are more competitive in the world marketplace wai2.gif

Each forum has its quite thread. Most established businesses have a 12 month business plan. We are doing exceptinial well with current XE. I remember threads last October saying the opposite. Thailand is more stable now than in the past 8 years. Some enjoy the thought of doom. It hasn't.isn't and probably want happen here.

Sent from my TRUE BEYOND 4G using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The only indicator of this Ive noticed is long lines of parked baht buses at 2nd road/Pattaya Tai & Pattaya Klang. Ive never seen so many lined up and parked for so long each day.

Have you noticed the lack of tour buses parked at night and the fewer number of baht buses or tooting their horns for fares or motorbike taxis sitting around aimlessly waiting for a fare?

Can anyone interpret the above reply ??

It means that 'walking traffic' induced to take a ride and get there quicker, is low volume, therefore impractical and poor economics to keep lapping in the hope that you will sufficient fares to pay for fuel and make some money to feed self and family (no, no need to thank me)

Yes I have noticed many price increases for sure. Like a buffet I used to like went went up 25 percent since last month so I looked at it but they had stopped offering the main dish I used to go there for. Good move ... they got nada from me. Raise the price and offer less, good business IF you can get it.

Look after the expats, they will look after you in hard times.I had to explain this concept to a Thai friend on Ko Chang in 08 when the GFC hit.

There are such an abundance of Thais that have no understanding of that concept. It makes so much sense. I would really go out of my way to keep the expat customers happy if I had a bar, restaurant, or hotel here. Many do not get it. And I have asked them, and they say they just do not care. I think it is the inability of many Thais to consider their future, much less next month, or tomorrow. I need the profit today, so my decision is based on that. That alone. Leave me alone. Do not make me think about something abstract like my future. You are a fareng. How can you offer me suggestions about my business? There is absolutely no way you are smarter than me. That is impossible.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

this mentality is not unique ... (if the baseball cap fits, wear it) ... Americans have a swagger grown from their own type of brain-washing ... feeling superior to everybody is preferable to realizing you are - in the grander scheme of things - inferior to most other cultures ... but that's just my opinion ... and as my eldest son says "Dad, opinions are like &lt;deleted&gt;, everyone has got one, and they are usually full of shit"

I think you need to be more specific on what type of businesses you mean.

Shops like Homeworks etc I would agree, but the big Malls need the tourists.

I agree more Thais are visiting Pattaya, perhaps they too prefer it when there are fewer foreign tourists about.

Nevertheless, quite a lot of businesses are struggling, and I fear that desperate people without customers nor money will become a problem. As a resident I selfishly prefer it like this, high season is a constant frustration.

I agree about American swagger. But, most Americans have a finely honed sense of service, when it comes to maintaining their customer base. Especially with the smaller businesses. We simply understand what one customer can translate into over the course of a lifetime. It is just too important. I have had discussions with Thais along the line of "I have been here 50 times over the past three years. You realize if you do this I will never come back again. Does this mean anything to you? And we were talking about a very small amount of money, or the size of a portion, or something absolutely meaningless to them. And you know what the response has almost always been? Do not some back. It does not matter to me. That would be the reaction of a hurt child. False pride. Not what an adult business owner should say.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

I agree about American swagger. But, most Americans have a finely honed sense of service, when it comes to maintaining their customer base. Especially with the smaller businesses. We simply understand what one customer can translate into over the course of a lifetime. It is just too important. I have had discussions with Thais along the line of "I have been here 50 times over the past three years. You realize if you do this I will never come back again. Does this mean anything to you? And we were talking about a very small amount of money, or the size of a portion, or something absolutely meaningless to them. And you know what the response has almost always been? Do not some back. It does not matter to me. That would be the reaction of a hurt child. False pride. Not what an adult business owner should say.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

They would lose face in front of the other staff if they gave the Farang a fair deal.

It's not the money. It's a game, played by by smiling racists.

I had a minor dispute with a restaurant manager over a pittance. It was just 20Bt. and I thought I was doing them a favor by pointing out a discrepancy.

Didn't want to budge so I never returned. By by.

This is a place I regularly eat and known by the staff.. probably spent 1,500 a month there + a nice tip.

I walk past daily and I wonder if they notice or care?

Edited by ZigZagMan

I will be in Patts soon and looking forward to it. One of the best trips I had in Thailand was when I was living there and took a trip down to Phuket and had a great time in low season. More relaxed, less people around and plenty of kittens to play with at the discos. Bored sh***** in farangland paying off a mortgage hopefully not for too much longer..

• Like 2

The only indicator of this Ive noticed is long lines of parked baht buses at 2nd road/Pattaya Tai & Pattaya Klang. Ive never seen so many lined up and parked for so long each day.

Have you noticed the lack of tour buses parked at night and the fewer number of baht buses or tooting their horns for fares or motorbike taxis sitting around aimlessly waiting for a fare?

What about that for karma Taxi drivers sat on corners waiting for a customer’s

What did they do positively to promote tourism in Thailand? Why do to local guys only want to use trusted taxi guys. Does anyone know anyone who has not had a bad experience with these guys?

I think the reason Pattaya is quiet is a combination of many things, but for certain the taxi drivers have been a total pain for everyone. Not just to local people and tourists but to Thai people too.

I agree Pattaya is quiet for a combinations of many things. Vegas Vic gave an excellent economic reason. Walking the beach from Pattaya Nua to walking street and have never seen the beach chairs this empty..

It is only all the traffic from Thais / Central Festival that give an illusion of alot of tourists in Pattaya. So now its a fact that Pattaya is empty of tourists. The unanswered question now ;

What are the many faceted reasons of why Pattaya is empty of tourists. Because if this is not just a blip then its going to be a game changer.

* Yes I have now noticed the lack of tour buses.

I don't know what Pattaya you are talking about.

Last night about 9:30pm I went along beach road and Soi Buakhao and it looked busy to me. Bars along beach rd. 3/4 full of old geezers sipping and gawking and Soi Buakhao ditto. ML Metro was packed. Not my cup of tea but it was busy.

clap2.gifclap2.gif

Sorry I do not want to disagree with the many but it is just a point of view.

Edited by Jimbolai

They would lose face in front of the other staff if they gave the Farang a fair deal.

It's not the money. It's a game, played by by smiling racists.

I had a minor dispute with a restaurant manager over a pittance. It was just 20Bt. and I thought I was doing them a favor by pointing out a discrepancy.

Didn't want to budge so I never returned. By by.

This is a place I regularly eat and known by the staff.. probably spent 1,500 a month there + a nice tip.

I walk past daily and I wonder if they notice or care?

Oh, I do think they notice, based on comments from two GFs (one former GF who owned a restaurant, one a current owner) who occasionally spot restaurant customers. They remember really well, both bad and good. Every single customer gets sized up and graded.

But all Thai bar/restaurant owners would rather lose a customer than lose face.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There are such an abundance of Thais that have no understanding of that concept. It makes so much sense. I would really go out of my way to keep the expat customers happy if I had a bar, restaurant, or hotel here. Many do not get it. And I have asked them, and they say they just do not care. I think it is the inability of many Thais to consider their future, much less next month, or tomorrow. I need the profit today, so my decision is based on that. That alone. Leave me alone. Do not make me think about something abstract like my future. You are a fareng. How can you offer me suggestions about my business? There is absolutely no way you are smarter than me. That is impossible.

Spidermike
Chaiyaphum, Thailand

You have summed it up not only very well but (You knew that was coming) do you understand it?

Give me the money and F...O.. Don't even try to understand. Give me the money and F..O.. and never come back.

Now you know...but do you understand? NO. F..O...

Edited by Jimbolai

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

You have summed it up not only very well but (You knew that was coming) do you understand it?

Give me the money and F...O.. Don't even try to understand. Give me the money and F..O.. and never come back.

Now you know...but do you understand? NO. F..O...

It has always struck me as odd reading the comments from the usual basheroos that with all this lack of business acumen that the Thai Baht is stable and land prices in recent years have doubled and tripled.

Rayong, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Phuket, Pattaya, Hat Yai and Khao Yai. - Land prices double.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/thailand-news/Land-prices-upcountry-doubling/20542

Land prices on the Bangkok-Nonthaburi road have tripled since 2010, on the back of construction of the extended Purple Line mass-transit rail line from Bang Sue-Bang Yai, which is set to be completed next year.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Purple-Line-extension-gives-massive-boost-to-land--30232677.html

Yup, coups and rice disasters and bad government and the economy keeps chugging along. Tourists keep coming and the bashers keep bashing. Funny that.

• Like 2