Movie Download From Internet

tutsiwarrior

I understand that movies can be downloaded from the internet for a fee from commercial websites. I presume this means downloading on to the hard drive then a cable connection from the laptop to a tv set to view. I get the impression that the download time for a 2 hour movie is quite long requiring an overnite arrangement depending on processor speed and ISP bandwidth, is this correct? Is any special software required?...to be downloaded from the movie website? I run Windows XP(Home).

I got a 1.2ghz processor, 512/256 RAM and 80gbyte HDD and using the thaivisa bandwidth measurement feature get about 65 kbyte/sec download speed with my ISP. What does this indicate in terms of what to expect when downloading a 2 hour movie? I also got a DVD/RW so if I wanted to put the movie on DVD am I limited to 80 movie minutes per DVD when using a standard '700mb/80 min' blank CD-R?

The laptop has a trapeziodally shaped connection port with pin holes for a tv connection. Any special nomenclature when looking for a cable? I presume this connects to the tv connections for video and audio just like for a CD player.

Finally, any recommendations regarding a good movie download website? I'm into foreign(non Hollywood) and classic cinema films, aka 'art house' stuff.

thanx a bunch...

• 3 weeks later...

"so if I wanted to put the movie on DVD am I limited to 80 movie minutes per DVD when using a standard '700mb/80 min' blank CD-R"

Do you realise that that this doesn't make any sense? First you write that you want to write the 'movie' to DVD and then in the same sentence, to a CD.

Anyway, with your relatively slow connection, you'd be better off considering films that are compressed with the DivX or Xvid 'codec'.

That way, on average, you'll be able to fit a good quality film on a CD.

Look here; Divx movies for info.

Xvid movies

Do a search for Divx/Xvid movies.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

1) The trapazoid shape connector is for and external monitor, not a TV

2) The download time for a 2 hour dvd via your connection will be measured in days not hours

3) If you do not want to watch the movie on your computer you can burn a dvd or, if you use a cd, a vcd.

P

I doubt any US or Euro legal download will let you download movies from Thailand anyway

They normally reverse-check your IP address is and if it is outside their legal area they will say you are not allowed to download it

Even game companies are doing this now - I cannot purchase any games on Steam because of this stupid rule.

Edited by Ian_B

I doubt any US or Euro legal download will let you download movies from Thailand anyway

They normally reverse-check your IP address is and if it is outside their legal area they will say you are not allowed to download it

Even game companies are doing this now - I cannot purchase any games on Steam because of this stupid rule.

In doing so, they're sending us to Panthip or any local shop that sells copies. :o

I tried to purchase Norton anti-virus software online and got the 'not available in your area' message so maybe for as long as I am in Thailand this will always be a problem.

I am presently in Vietnam where I presume there will be the same problem...the internet download websites probably using the old 'all asians look the same' rationale?

presumably these characters will examine your IP details and advise regarding access before they take your credit card details? I have already received emails in VN from one music/movie download website wantin' me to join immediately...

hi'

so you need a good firewall that allow you to disable the tracert of any web sites, one like Kerio :o

or use Dyndns ...

francois

I understand that movies can be downloaded from the internet for a fee from commercial websites. I presume this means downloading on to the hard drive then a cable connection from the laptop to a tv set to view. I get the impression that the download time for a 2 hour movie is quite long requiring an overnite arrangement depending on processor speed and ISP bandwidth, is this correct? Is any special software required?...to be downloaded from the movie website? I run Windows XP(Home).

I got a 1.2ghz processor, 512/256 RAM and 80gbyte HDD and using the thaivisa bandwidth measurement feature get about 65 kbyte/sec download speed with my ISP. What does this indicate in terms of what to expect when downloading a 2 hour movie? I also got a DVD/RW so if I wanted to put the movie on DVD am I limited to 80 movie minutes per DVD when using a standard '700mb/80 min' blank CD-R?

The laptop has a trapeziodally shaped connection port with pin holes for a tv connection. Any special nomenclature when looking for a cable? I presume this connects to the tv connections for video and audio just like for a CD player.

Finally, any recommendations regarding a good movie download website? I'm into foreign(non Hollywood) and classic cinema films, aka 'art house' stuff.

thanx a bunch...

There may be an S-Video connection on the back of your laptop as well. This is the type of connector cable that is usually used between a laptop computer and a TV set.

The S-Video port will look similar to this: svideo.jpg

and the cable looks like this:

s-video-kabel.jpg

Note that this cable connection does not include audio. You will need to solve that with separate cables - there are for example cables with a mini teleplug for the computer's line out port, and with two phono connectors that go into the TV - or you can use an external amp - or in the worst case, just the sound from the laptop itself.

thanx a bunch...

There may be an S-Video connection on the back of your laptop as well. This is the type of connector cable that is usually used between a laptop computer and a TV set.

The S-Video port will look similar to this: svideo.jpg

and the cable looks like this:

s-video-kabel.jpg

Note that this cable connection does not include audio. You will need to solve that with separate cables - there are for example cables with a mini teleplug for the computer's line out port, and with two phono connectors that go into the TV - or you can use an external amp - or in the worst case, just the sound from the laptop itself.

thanx meadish...I got that port-to-tv on the laptop that you illustrate but what good is it if it is without audio? So, apparently whatever movies you download are to be viewed on the laptop until you burn them onto CD/DVD whatever to play on the usual CD/DVD arrangement?

BTW (also please note Mr Jiu-Jitsu)...the laptop has a DVD burner facility - at least that what is says on the drive (R/RW). So I take it that you need DVD media to burn it...I've only ever seen these Maxell 700MB CD - R CDs.

Looks like there's a lot about this downloading business that I don't know about.

Anyone got anything to add regarding non - access to web downloads 'cause we're in a pirate area? If this is a large consideration then fug it...too much hassle...I'm off to the grave with my film classics on video cassette and Beetoven's Choral on a squeaky, hissing tape cassette...a victim of advanced technology...

thanx a bunch...

Why not use one of the many free movie/music download sites?

thanx a bunch...

Why not use one of the many free movie/music download sites?

Frostwire works for me

Edited by geoffphuket