How taxi drivers make money?

I am genuinely interested.... not doing a wind up or something.

I understand the starting fare has been the same since 1992

The last hike was in 2006.

I mean BTS fare increased 5-6 times already.

You understand wrong, there was no starting fare in 1992, there were no meters fitted then.

Just about everyone of these taxis runs on LPG 10 baht per litre.

A quick look at either the drivers door or passenger door will tall you ifs its privately owned or leased.

With the tip!

Please recomend me to your friends!

Sandman, are you now a taxi driver?

I need a taxi from Suvarnbhumi to Hua Hin on Wednesday, how much?

Not forgot passboard ok.

• Like 1

Try being a taxi driver in Singapore! I have no idea how they do it, what with around $70,000 car registration on top of the purchase of the car, then road tolls, and enforced metering which is really cheap.....add insurance and running costs.....I have no idea why they would choose it as a career.

I have a very good friend who has been a taxi driver for more than 20 years,he makes his money on the long runs,he has many western customers as he speaks very good English and they are repeat customers who have used him for many years.

If he averages say 1 decent upcountry run a week to Issan or like my home Phetchabun he can pick up 3,000 or 4,000 baht a trip which will yield say 12,000 - 15,000 baht a month on top of his daily Bangkok and shorter Pattaya,Hua Hin runs.

It's not all doom and gloom believe me.

Long hours and heavy traffic but not physical graft as such.

Edited by stoneyboy
  • Like 2

You understand wrong, there was no starting fare in 1992, there were no meters fitted then.

A quick look at either the drivers door or passenger door will tell you ifs its privately owned or leased.

What to look for?

• Like 1

฿150 an hour and they work a 12 hour shift so ฿1,800 a day minus 700=1,100 a day the LPG might be ฿500 so ฿600 a day profit plus tips, a long day but not a bad wage.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A quick look at either the drivers door or passenger door will tall you ifs its privately owned or leased.

Of course there was a flagfall in 1992, it was set at 35B in that year but there were meters installed prior to that

http://www.thaiworldview.com/travel/travel5.htm

The starting fare is the same. But you go a much shorter distance today, before the meter start to move

The shorter runs can be a good earner.

Say 10 minutes, minimum fare 35, they'll give 40, so thats 240 baht an hour, 12 hr shift, 2880 baht less 700 lease, even if you said 1000 in fuel they still cleared 1180 baht which is almost 4 x the minimum wage. I doubt they stop at 12 hours either.

But whatever the numbers, its fair to say it cant be that bad or there wouldnt be so many at it.

When I go to the airport it is +/- 1 hour and 350 Baht.

Already half the rental fee.

Strangely enough, honesty has it's own rewards, at times, not a monetary reward,

with peace of mined come the clear thinking and the ability to enjoy what you have

earned honestly... and as for the dishonest ones, their ill gains don't last anyway

as they have to keep being dishonest....

I "tip" a taxi driver based on / for: Service. Sane Driving, Traffic problems, Distance from home stand,

Come on, 20 to 100B is not going to drive any of us to the poor house. When I went from my BKK hotel ( I always stay at this one hotel when I go to airport or come to BKK one to two days ) to Pattaya with STOPS in 3 additional locations, I tipped 400B on top of the flat rate, being in a private """ limo""" was nice. Driver spoke reasonable English but girlfriend gave additional instructions in Thai.

I used to ask them questions abt their bookings all the time… as any independent business, there are good days and bad, winners and losers.. and for the decent ones, there are decent tips. Even little tips add up. If you have 25 fares in a 10 hour shift, and each only tipped 10 baht - that is 250 baht and already near what some field workers make in a day.

I think most average near 1000 baht per day in total - and make more than some office workers.

It's not easy for them to make money. That's why they will turn down certain locations at certain times. If they waste all day stuck in traffic they can actually end up losing money for the day.

Agreed. They are underpaid, really. Since the introduction of meters in 1992, there has been just one fare increase, while the cost of living has multiplied.

I often curse about them for refusing fares, but can't really blame them.

I was always told that the colour of the taxi shows whether it is rented or owner-driven. It used to be the case, anyway, that in BKK (but not in provinces), all Green and Yellow were "owned", and all the pinks, reds, greens etc were rented from a company.

If the guy rents from a company it is harder to live on. The company may consist of 1 guy who owns 3-4 cabs and who must be paid his pound of flesh.

If I have a long journey, or even a 10km journey, I use one of the Radiocabs. They seem to be nicely maintained; there are some standards, I guess.

I will now avoid a 20 year old rusty orange thing which will give me a bad back for days. You can see them at 300 meters. The back axle has gone, so they hang low at the trunk end.

Unfortunately, despite most cabbies being honest, there are still one or two scams. I had a very fast meter one last month, which was obviously clocked. The bill went to 450b just for a bad traffic jam in a place I know well. The guy was a friendly older guy too. About 2 years ago, a young driver told me his kid was very sick and he needed to pay the hospital 1000b by 6pm. He gave me his ID card and phone number. Despite calls, I never saw him again. I think they can get a new ID easy.

I always tip up to the next 20--so if it's 75b I give 80. I still think the cabs are very cheap here.

eddy

While I'm not complaining, I must say that taxi fares in BKK are extremely cheap. Obviously they're cheaper than in USA and Europe, but also compared to many other third-world countries I've experienced.

The shorter runs can be a good earner.

Say 10 minutes, minimum fare 35, they'll give 40, so thats 240 baht an hour, 12 hr shift, 2880 baht less 700 lease, even if you said 1000 in fuel they still cleared 1180 baht which is almost 4 x the minimum wage. I doubt they stop at 12 hours either.

But whatever the numbers, its fair to say it cant be that bad or there wouldnt be so many at it.

When I go to the airport it is +/- 1 hour and 350 Baht.

Already half the rental fee.

Around 60 Baht using the Skytrain and railway link from Sukhumwit.

Many of the drivers make good money by taking fares to the jewelry outlets, the silk factories, and the soapy massage joints. They are paid hefty commissions. I have been offered low fares, in exchange for visiting those places. I have no interest, but I am sure many unsuspecting tourists do.