What Is The Best Business To Do In Cm?

hong

I'm pretty sure that most of us decided on another thread that the Salsa Cafe was the best Mex food in town.

Where is Salsa Cafe? What's so good about this cafe?

The owner is a great guy and the food is quite good, but not authentic Mexican in any sense.

The cook concentrates on obtaining good tasting local ingredients and makes the kind of psuedo-Mexican food that your mother might whip up evey now and then if she is a good cook. I really enjoy eating there, but it doesn't make me miss real Mexican food back home any less.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

labour is cheap and easy to hire in CM. Creative and artistic people are easy to find. Think of your own original product that the Chinese will find difficult to copy, find your market, do some research of that market - hey presto!!

i know some farang who have exported fishing flies, art (acrylic reproductions for hotels and restaurants), sculpture (those terminator figures made of old car parts)...

Seem wine and dine is the fav business, plus a great deal of creativity in. If you come to Singapore, I'll host you. Thinking of Singapore local delights, for example like BBQ Stingray, Satay, Laksa, Nasi Lemak, Fried Prawn Mee, Chilli Crab, Black Peper Crab, Butter Crab, Fish head Curry, Hainanese Chicken Rice, Roast Duck...etc

Link: http://www.sbestfood.com/foodchoice.html

http://wineanddine.asiaone.com.sg/

I wonder will it be popular here in CM? Maybe to those who has try before..

Hi Hong,

I'm sure the dishes that you mention above will be popular once word gets around, whether it be Bangkok, Chiangmai, or Phuket. Who dare say they are mai aroi?!

There are some issues you should look into:

- Visa: unless you have a Thai company, wife, etc. visa runs are inevitable. Having said that it may not be an issue if you jet out of Thailand on a frequent basis (or at least once a month). What are the rules/ restrictions for farang-owned restaurants?

- Staffs/ cooks: are you willing to part with your recipes in order to get local staff to run the kitchen? Keep in mind there's not much restaurants out there selling the food you intend to sell.

- Copycats: Once you are doing a reasonably good business, will the staff leave your employment after receiving training, etc. and open a restaurant right next to yours?

I will say it is worth a shot.

I'm still trying to open my ma's safe so I can get her handwritten recipe books! :o

Seem wine and dine is the fav business, plus a great deal of creativity in. If you come to Singapore, I'll host you. Thinking of Singapore local delights, for example like BBQ Stingray, Satay, Laksa, Nasi Lemak, Fried Prawn Mee, Chilli Crab, Black Peper Crab, Butter Crab, Fish head Curry, Hainanese Chicken Rice, Roast Duck...etc

Hi Hong,

I'm sure the dishes that you mention above will be popular once word gets around, whether it be Bangkok, Chiangmai, or Phuket. Who dare say they are mai aroi?!

There are some issues you should look into:

- Visa: unless you have a Thai company, wife, etc. visa runs are inevitable. Having said that it may not be an issue if you jet out of Thailand on a frequent basis (or at least once a month). What are the rules/ restrictions for farang-owned restaurants?

- Staffs/ cooks: are you willing to part with your recipes in order to get local staff to run the kitchen? Keep in mind there's not much restaurants out there selling the food you intend to sell.

- Copycats: Once you are doing a reasonably good business, will the staff leave your employment after receiving training, etc. and open a restaurant right next to yours?

I will say it is worth a shot.

I'm still trying to open my ma's safe so I can get her handwritten recipe books! :o

there are a couple singapore restaurants in cm. not much selection. mostly just chicken rice, porridge, mee siam, curry chicken, laksa. not bad though, the one called Singapore Street.

the selection Hong mentioned is well received. i would definately be your customer.

Edited by tigerbeer

I would consider opening something for the disabled. Like an equal oportunity offender. These people are definitely a much malaigned group here in Thailand.

A karaoke joint for the deaf and blind. Instead of coming up to the mic to sing the can come up and put their hands on the screen to get the words in braille.

Until someone starts this venture, can someone please post the telephone number for the new BBQ rib joint by the Black Canyon by Miguels> Hells Kitchen I think its called

thank you

Gonzo

:o

The Duke's is in the worst location that I can think of, but is full night and day and totally kicking butt during a very slow, slow season.

If you have GOOD food, they will come! :o

You HAVE to joking.. I have eaten there enough times now to know that this is utter bullshit

Really? "Utter bullshit"? Been staking the place out 24 hours a day have you?

I haven't gone there for a week because I'm on a diet, but it had plenty of customers every time I went before that - and I was eating there every night and sometimes lunch as well - and we usually went late at night. In fact, we kept having to sit back by the kitchen because there were no seats in the front.

I guess the Duke was lying when he said that it had also been busy before we got there at 10pm? :o

You can "big it up" all you like Georgie.. I am just TELLING you that on the 3 occassions I have been there there has been no more than two other customers there.

Then a freind of mine wanted to take a party of people there a few weeks ago.. came in got the menu's came back later (as he said he would) and the place was closed. Big Eater was in there of course..but said he had closed early as there was no business....

I LIKE the food there and have no problem whatsovere with the Duke's, but your constant "bull" does the place no favours you are doing him more harm than good

Well getting back to the original post, there are many business ventures that could be sucessful.

Here's just a few:

Relaible & Quality Internet Service Provider (who also lays the infrastucture for MODERN communication)

Wholemeal, Wheatmeal or Grannary Bread

Golden Delicious Apples

Branston Pickle

Picalili

Fairy Liquid

Black & Decker Service Centre

Spray for my Roses

Various systemic concoctions for the garden

and here is a good one... Parking Meter Manufacturer

Am I serious ?.. Yes, my roses are shot to pieces in this weather!

Edited by Allyt

I was in Duke's on Monday afternoon (about 2 or 3pm) and apart from myself, son and wife were the fish and the staff. Food really good, though.

Edited by jackr

Miguel's Fresh Mex has lots of customers, most of the time, even though it's not in the best location and only been open a few months.

However, it is probably the best (most authentic) Mexican restaurant in all of South East Asia and very reasonably priced as well.

And the CM Grapevine says the owner "Maybee" open to offers for it ..though PLEASE DON'T QUOTE ME :D

Its probably just heresay :o

Miguel's Fresh Mex has lots of customers, most of the time, even though it's not in the best location and only been open a few months.

However, it is probably the best (most authentic) Mexican restaurant in all of South East Asia and very reasonably priced as well.

I know a place in Kuala-lampur that would put Miguels to shame... Also, Singapore has a couple of good places. Good Mexican food isn't that hard to make.

All the ones I marked in red are widely available in Thailand - although sometimes with a local touch, such as Hainanese Chicken Rice, which is known as khâao man kài in Thai. The Thai version of chicken rice is served with a sauce based on tao jiaow (fermented soi bean paste/sauce), chopped ginger and chilli. The best chicken rice restaurant in Chiang Mai is Geeat Orcha, which is located close to the Three King's Monument in the Old City.

Satay is usually with pork in the North of Thailand. Fried Prawn Mee is rather similar to phàt see eów gôong.

But the rest of those dishes would probably go down well. It's a bit of a problem getting really fresh seafood and fish though.

Well getting back to the original post, there are many business ventures that could be sucessful.

Here's just a few:

Relaible & Quality Internet Service Provider (who also lays the infrastucture for MODERN communication)

How about servers?

I own about a hundred servers here in the U.S. and have this idea of shipping them to Thailand (C.M.? Bangkok?) when I move to Thailand, putting them into a colocation center and renting them out (as dedicated root servers, virtual root servers, virtual servers).

Is there a fiber optic data cable that connects C.M. to the rest of the world?

If yes, WHERE does it terminate? (Street address?)

Or do I have to do this in Bangkok? (I prefer C.M. to Bangkok, personally.)

-Harry C.

I am just TELLING you that on the 3 occassions I have been there there has been no more than two other customers there.

I have known the Duke since he had the America restaurant on Thapae road in 1991 and he says that he is doing very well and almost every time I and other friends go in there the place is packed and I've been going there almost every day for months.

You have been in there 3 lousy times and you are an expert on the business?

I didn't say that he is never slow. Of course every restaurant is slow sometimes (except for The Secret Garden of course.) :o

I said that he is doing really well, and - guess what - he is! :D

And the CM Grapevine says the owner "Maybee" open to offers for it ..though PLEASE DON'T QUOTE ME :D

Its probably just heresay :o

That is what Mike does.

He develops restaurants, sells them, and then starts a new one and sells that.

Never heard of Mike's Original Hamburgers I guess. :D:D:D

I have known the Duke since he had the America restaurant on Thapae road in 1991

I didn't say that he is never slow. Of course every restaurant is slow sometimes (except for The Secret Garden of course.) :o

So have most of the long time residents, and you are definately no expert in anything it would seem. Can't you get it through your thick skull GP that we are all bored shitless with your perpetual postings on the Dukes. Thai Pauly obviously has a lower threshold of tolerance than I :D

I am just TELLING you that on the 3 occassions I have been there there has been no more than two other customers there.

I have known the Duke since he had the America restaurant on Thapae road in 1991 and he says that he is doing very well and almost every time I and other friends go in there the place is packed and I've been going there almost every day for months.

I didn't say that he is never slow. Of course every restaurant is slow sometimes (except for The Secret Garden of course.) :D

READ others comments as well Georgie, I'm not the ONLY ONE saying it :D

I have no interest in "How Busy The Duke's is" (although his food is so good he deserves to do well) I have no axe to grind with them, I have said time and time again that the food there is GOOD. YOU are the problem here.

I really don't know what angle you are trying to come from with this... You say you have no business interests in the Duke's but you go out of your way to overstate how well they are doing.

WHO CARES.. it would seem that only you do....... As a result of your inane postings I don't think I will bother going there anymore, my Wife and I will eat at The Riverside instead which is also a good restaurant.

So those 3 LOUSY TIMES.. could have turned into 100 LOUSY TIMES The "Owner" may now miss out on getting revenue from me because of YOU :D

PS And before you say "Why would he want an as#hole like me in his restaurant"..its because I was always very polite, ordered well and tipped good too. If I was spending at least 500 baht a month there thats 6,000 Baht a year plus I had even taken other TV members there as well.

I have met the owner, he knows my face, but he probably won't be seeing it any more.

Happy Now?

You say I have been there 3 LOUSY times.. well thats 3 more LOUSY times than you ever went to the Secret Garden.. so you have absolutley no idea if it was busy or not do you? and you show your ignorance by mentioning it because you obviously completley MISSED the thread which stated that it has been sold

Why don't you just leave The Duke's in peace to get on with running his business without constantly sticking your oar in? As I said before you seem to be doing more harm than good. This post is proof of it :o

I have known the Duke since he had the America restaurant on Thapae road in 1991

So have most of the long time residents, and you are definately no expert in anything it would seem. Can't you get it through your thick skull GP that we are all bored shitless with your perpetual postings on the Dukes. Thai Pauly obviously has a lower threshold of tolerance than I :D

Since "we" consists of you and two of your friends, I will post about what I like.

By the way, if you are going to start following me around trolling on every one of my posts again, you might consider putting me on ignore instead. Your behavior is against forum rules. :D

you show your ignorance by mentioning it because you obviously completley MISSED the thread which stated that it has been sold

I am aware that you say that you have sold your restaurant. How could I miss it?

You opened for what seemed like 3 weeks, made multiple posts advertising it, and then closed.

Now you say that you’ve sold it.

Somehow it is OK for you to blatantly advertise on Thai Visa, but you object to me praising a place that I have no financial interest in at all, but really appreciate.

Seems pretty hypocritical to me. :o

You can say what you like.. (it's a free country) I'm bored with this but I ceratinly don't follow you around the forum, I am NOT a stalker!

I just can't help responding to your more shall we say "Contriversial" posts

But I really can't be bothered with you anymore and from now on I will TRY to ignore your posts.

You can TRY to ignore mine too as we seem to get up each others nose so much

OK ?

But if you ever show your face at a TV Piss Up..........

I'll buy you a beer, how's that?

You can say what you like.. (it's a free country) I'm bored with this but I ceratinly don't follow you around the forum, I am NOT a stalker!

But I really can't be bothered with you anymore and from now on I will TRY to ignore your posts.

OK ?

Sorry, but can you read?

My remarks about being a stalker were directed at Maejo Man, because of long past experience.

I have nothing against you except that I think it is amusing that you have used the forum to advertise your business, but fly into a rage when I recommend other businesses.

If my "controversial" posts bother you so much than put me on ignore by all means, but I don't see what is controversial about recommending good restaurants, and, as far as I can remember, that is the only thing that you have ever made a point of commenting on.

I would be happy to drink your beer and offer you one in return. I think that you are OK, but you certainly have a bug up your nose when it comes to other people's restaurants. :o

OK ?

You could always just go into MY CONTROLS and set up TV to ignore UG's posts!

Think I'll do that too... :o

Back to the OP - pleeeeeze no more restauranteur arguments.

For a Chiang Mai foodie business one of the best must be Pad Thai.

If you have a good location (that you are not paying extortionate rent for) and have high rate of passby customers for take away.

A good sideline for any restaurant would be lunchbox business. Hard to find at the moment is good lunchbox service. By good I mean reasonable price and edible food.

There must be many more non foodie ideas. I guess they all depend on how much time you want to spend and how much money you want to make.

Yes lads. Moderator hat time now.

This has gone too far already

If this tit-for-tat-posting continues, I will be forced to close the thread and hand out some holiday time. Please keep to the subject of the thread.

Thank you.