Exiting Thailand Thai I'd name different

Hello all,

My wife and I recently got married and I'm currently in the process of sorting her a visas for my country. The problem is she has changed her Thai id to my last name and her thai passport is using her maiden name. Will this be an issue exiting Thailand for her? I don't want to change her passport name as all the visa information for my country is in her maiden name

Sent from my LG-D802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

if her name is changed in her Thai id, it means, she did change her name.

that means, that her old passport is not correct any more. It also had to be changed.

In your country, she has to use her passport for prove of identity . If it`s the wrong name, it is no good. I do not understand, why your embassy gave her a visa, if they know, that the name in the passport is wrong.

Did they gave a visa for the reason, that she is married to you ?

or did they not know, that she changed her name?

She needs an air-ticket with the same name, as in her passport

something is fishy....

as I know, you get a new passport, if you change the name. And with this new passport, you get the visa...

• Like 1

No problem,My wife never changed her Thai name on her id card or Thai passport.Traveled out of Thailand many times over the last 30 years with me.

Lefty

Today the Thai law do not force the married women to change their name to the husband's name and they can keep their maiden name.

They are even allowed to revert to their maiden name for those that made the change in the past.

I think it was done because Thai women married to foreigners could not buy land after marriage. Now, this is not a problem anymore.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if immigration actually check the Thai id against the passport when entering and leaving thailand?

Edited by storm2010

She is married to me and all that is required for my embassy is her passport. They do not check her Thai id. If we change the passport name I will have to go through the whole visa process again and likely for my daughter as well.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if immigration actually check the Thai id against the passport when entering and leaving thailand?

They only check the passport. I once had an officer ask me for my ID card as well, but I am a white Thai citizen so I think he was just curious.

Thais change their names all the time, but their citizen ID number never changes. This is on both the ID card and the passport so should clear any confusion even if they did ask her for her ID card.

Also, if she has an e-passport she can use the automatic gates at the airport. It's what I always do and means that she doesn't need to speak to an officer at all.

• Like 1

I would assume, that the embassy thought, that storm2010´s wife did not change name. Possible, because in Thailand woman can choose not to change name.

BUT she did choose to change her name! So the old passport is not correct any more.

No, the immigration officers at the airport are normaly not asking for ID card.

Do not forget: If your wife need to identify herself in your country, she has to use her passport (id-card is only for Thailand!). But what is written in her passport is not valid any more. They will use the old name as written in her passport.

I expect no problem with the discrepancy between Thai ID card and passport at the Thai immigration/offices.

As member @Thanet already wrote, the Thai citizen ID (no.) will be equal on both documents and normally immigration does not ask for the ID.

(have a look at the passport and the ID card and you will see the same citizen id)

Don't change the name on the passport after having obtained a visa.

As you understood, this would kill the visa and you start at zero.

Later on (either in your home country or back in Thailand) you should straighten things out.