Long timers - Is Thailand better or worse than 10 years ago?

thelongshoot

Well, my first comment would be as you suggested.

If you don't like it here, leave.

You have had WAY different experiences than I.

But, I am married and have children here and speak Thai.

I have been here for 30 years and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

I am sorry for the way that you have been treated.

Look inside yourself.

Are you sure that you have not brought it all on yourself ?

Do you speak Thai ?

Do you have Thai family ?

Do you pay taxes here ?

Do you have friends that are in the Gov't, Immigration, police and/or military ?

Without some of this stuff here life would surely be hell.

But of that I can not speak from experience.

Man, get it together.

What do you do here anyway ?

Drink and womanize ?

Cough up the truth and maybe you will see the truth.

Do you speak Thai ? no

Do you have Thai family ? goodness gracious... no

Do you pay taxes here ? no, that's the main reason i live in Thailand

Do you have friends that are in the Gov't, Immigration, police and/or military ? no

Without some of this stuff here life would surely be hell.

little do you know! attachicon.gifL-dog.jpg

New avatar = awful.

Old avatar = good.

Huh ?

P.S. Nam, I do know.

I've seen it for decades.

Oh the stories I could tell........ but won't.

Lucky for you all tongue.png

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AS you said yourself: " This is a proper useless rant" . So why bother the rest of us ?
"Proper useless rant" ah the quality " English teachers " they have in Thailand.... Sounds like an extra out of Eastender's or some other low class British soap..... During empire nobody spoke like this and if they did a good thrashing would be had
OMG! Soutpeel, I'm amazed how you can take each and every thread and turn it into an English teacher bash.

What's your issue with teachers?

Most are not teachers to start with ? I have nothing personal against them per se, and they do provide some amusement, when they start getting all outraged, besides I have asked nicely not to refer to furry rodents anymore, so guess "teachers" are next best thing I guess

offtopic.gif

Why ?

Yes indeed. I will be filling up my company BMW and going to watch the 20/20 cricket over the weekend. Whilst planning to go to take my kids to their summer camps and the such.

You claim it is so ridiculously expensive. Well quality costs, and I was paying through the nose to run two cars, have two kids in private education and privately insure everyone in Thailand. That alone took up best part of 600 to 700 k per year. Have you ever paid income taxes on a proper salary in Thailand? It isn't far off what you pay in the UK, with barely any of the associated social benefits. It wasn't about me wanting to come back, it was about for the development for my career and my childrens education it was an absolute necessity. Kids are doing great, and an infinitely better education for free currently.

As for traffic jams, I commute 18 minutes from our countryside house into town every day. At the end of the day, I did I good run. 18 years. I changed a lot obviously, but the country changed a lot too.

Why do you guys who couldn't make it in Thailand constantly brag about how good it is back in another country. You're not here anymore. Forget it. Why do you constantly come back to a Thai forum to tell everyone in Thailand how bad it is here? Why would you care enough to badmouth Thailand? You are gone let it be. This thread is about how Thailand and you blokes are trying to turn it into another UK love fest.

why do people like yourself resort to saying that people (like myself who left Thailand to better myself and my career) have to go as far to say we couldn't make it there... you are so wrong fella, I left Thailand with more money than I started with.

I feel you are a bit like the average Somchai out there who can't take criticism and you are having a loss of face cyber style by having to scrape the barrel like that.

Act your age you soppy sod and debate the issues raised or is that a bit too much to ask?

I got no problem with that at all. Good for you. But why come back to Thai Visa and badmouth Thailand? I know you have had a number of bad experiences here. Do you feel better when you tell us all about them?

Do you think it will change mine or anyone else's behavior? This is a thread about Thailand over ten years and a guy comes along and tells me how much better he is to be driving a BMW and watching cricket! For gosh sakes why?

Does it make the hurt you suffered in Thailand less if you tell everyone here about it? How long are you going to continue doing so?

In one self help group they have a tree that you pin your past problems on and then they burn the tree.

It really does not help to constantly relive your emotional and physical past problems. Get over it and move on.

• Like 2

I am feeling similar to the OP at the moment, although I have only been here 3 years. There are times when I feel that the attitude towards me from Thai's is becoming more negative, more rudeness than smiles.. but then I also think that a lot of how I interpret their attitude is connected to how happy I feel. When I am on top of the world I see Thai people as the nicest politest people in the world, but when I am feeling down all I can see is their contempt for me as a farang.

At the moment I am just feeling tired in general and I guess bored... will see how it goes but a change is a possibility.

Do you speak Thai yet ?

Are you at least making an effort ?

And where are you 'trying' to live ?

I am feeling similar to the OP at the moment, although I have only been here 3 years. There are times when I feel that the attitude towards me from Thai's is becoming more negative, more rudeness than smiles.. but then I also think that a lot of how I interpret their attitude is connected to how happy I feel. When I am on top of the world I see Thai people as the nicest politest people in the world, but when I am feeling down all I can see is their contempt for me as a farang.

At the moment I am just feeling tired in general and I guess bored... will see how it goes but a change is a possibility.

Labile mood and emotional dysregulation. You need to get that under control because it can get worse leading to other more extreme mental health issues.

Yes indeed. I will be filling up my company BMW and going to watch the 20/20 cricket over the weekend. Whilst planning to go to take my kids to their summer camps and the such.

You claim it is so ridiculously expensive. Well quality costs, and I was paying through the nose to run two cars, have two kids in private education and privately insure everyone in Thailand. That alone took up best part of 600 to 700 k per year. Have you ever paid income taxes on a proper salary in Thailand? It isn't far off what you pay in the UK, with barely any of the associated social benefits. It wasn't about me wanting to come back, it was about for the development for my career and my childrens education it was an absolute necessity. Kids are doing great, and an infinitely better education for free currently.

As for traffic jams, I commute 18 minutes from our countryside house into town every day. At the end of the day, I did I good run. 18 years. I changed a lot obviously, but the country changed a lot too.

Why do you guys who couldn't make it in Thailand constantly brag about how good it is back in another country. You're not here anymore. Forget it. Why do you constantly come back to a Thai forum to tell everyone in Thailand how bad it is here? Why would you care enough to badmouth Thailand? You are gone let it be. This thread is about how Thailand and you blokes are trying to turn it into another UK love fest.

why do people like yourself resort to saying that people (like myself who left Thailand to better myself and my career) have to go as far to say we couldn't make it there... you are so wrong fella, I left Thailand with more money than I started with.

I feel you are a bit like the average Somchai out there who can't take criticism and you are having a loss of face cyber style by having to scrape the barrel like that.

Act your age you soppy sod and debate the issues raised or is that a bit too much to ask?

I got no problem with that at all. Good for you. But why come back to Thai Visa and badmouth Thailand? I know you have had a number of bad experiences here. Do you feel better when you tell us all about them?

Do you think it will change mine or anyone else's behavior? This is a thread about Thailand over ten years and a guy comes along and tells me how much better he is to be driving a BMW and watching cricket! For gosh sakes why?

Does it make the hurt you suffered in Thailand less if you tell everyone here about it? How long are you going to continue doing so?

In one self help group they have a tree that you pin your past problems on and then they burn the tree.

It really does not help to constantly relive your emotional and physical past problems. Get over it and move on.

Agreed violin.gif

I enjoyed your rant, but I'm surprised that this remark...

This is a proper useless rant, and I'm gonna get slated for it I know that. Ill donate 100 baht to a local charity for every reply of "we dont want you here anyway, go home" just to make those inevitable replies less irritating......

has only cost you 400 Baht so far, and we are on page 5.

Anyway, "We dont want you here anyway, go home" - Macmillan Cancer support please http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Home.aspx

Edited for punctuation.

Edited by chickenslegs

Labile mood and emotional dysregulation. You need to get that under control because it can get worse leading to other more extreme mental health issues.

Emotional Dysregulation:

"Possible manifestations of emotional dysregulation include angry outbursts or behavior outbursts such as destroying or throwing objects, aggression towards self or others, and threats to kill oneself. These variations usually occur in seconds to minutes or hours. Emotional dysregulation can lead to behavioral problems and can interfere with a person's social interactions and relationships at home, in school, or at place of employment."

I am not at this stage yet doctor haha

Emotional Dysregulation:

"Possible manifestations of emotional dysregulation include angry outbursts or behavior outbursts such as destroying or throwing objects, aggression towards self or others, and threats to kill oneself. These variations usually occur in seconds to minutes or hours. Emotional dysregulation can lead to behavioral problems and can interfere with a person's social interactions and relationships at home, in school, or at place of employment."

Good times!!!

Emotional Dysregulation:

Wow, what a post, wonder how many on here can recognise those symptoms in some of the Thai women they have been involved with.

The above perfectly describe "the psycho", didnt know the terminology at the time so just called her a psycho.

One relationship I was more than happy to just walk away from, all brought about by her endless jealousy, low self esteem, insecurity and other such baggage.

Why is it so many Thai women feel the need to hit the self destruct button?

Emotional Dysregulation:

Good times!!!

I can see that my original post did suggest that I am up one minute down the next haha. Not the case, was just trying to put a different angle of the way the OP is seeing Thailand. Could be that he is not too happy here anymore so is now seeing Thai people attitudes as more negative than usual.

I think everyone behaves in this way...if you are feeling happy, then you see things in a more positive light, and if you are feeling down, then you see things in a negative light.

Right, time for me to stop here before I did a deeper hole about my mental health haha :)

Emotional Dysregulation:

Wow, what a post, wonder how many on here can recognise those symptoms in some of the Thai women they have been involved with.

The above perfectly describe "the psycho", didnt know the terminology at the time so just called her a psycho.

One relationship I was more than happy to just walk away from, all brought about by her endless jealousy, low self esteem, insecurity and other such baggage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_dysregulation

Emotional Dysregulation:

Good times!!!

I can see that my original post did suggest that I am up one minute down the next haha. Not the case, was just trying to put a different angle of the way the OP is seeing Thailand. Could be that he is not too happy here anymore so is now seeing Thai people attitudes as more negative than usual.

I think everyone behaves in this way...if you are feeling happy, then you see things in a more positive light, and if you are feeling down, then you see things in a negative light.

Right, time for me to stop here before I did a deeper hole about my mental health haha :)

Consult with TV,s Dr Will he is good with stuff and he may even introduce you to some new hobbies

• Like 1

Been coming to Thailand for just a couple of years now so I dunno about the good old days, but, umm, the Gestapo? Reeeeaaaaalllllllly? Reminds me of one of the first posts I ever read here on TV, where the guy said being called a farang was similar to being a black in the USA in the 50s. Puh-leeze! I know, I know, OP's engaging in hyperbole, right? But I'm pretty sure the whole world's changing, not just Thailand.

Also, let's face it, there are a LOT of dull, low-rent farangs here. Some of them drink too much and act accordingly, causing many Thais to distrust all farangs, Can you blame them? I've sat around with some of these blokes in my neighborhood here in Chiang Mai, and they're very nice, but I don't drink, so they're just as bored with me as I am with them.

I'm not a religious freak, but the Do unto others advice seems to work pretty well here in Thailand. Down the street there are some guys working on a construction site, and now and then I'll stop to watch them. When they look at me I smile and wave, and they wave back. Today they were having lunch when I happened by, and a couple of them waved at me to come join them for a bite. Of course, I declined and kept walking, but then I changed my mind and went back. I sat on the floor with them and they gave me some sticky rice and fish and veggies, patted me on the back and we all laughed. It was fun. I'm studying Thai at the YMCA and I even talked with them a little bit.

What I'm getting at is Thailand is pretty nice for me and to me, and while it's not perfect (nor am I), I intend to keep my mind open and enjoy it. To me, how a country seems depends on the people, and I like Thais. I even like a few farangs.

Man I like your attitude !

You will do fine here.

I lived in Chang Mai 30 years ago and still have VERY close friends there.

You are on the right track my friend.

Sa-Tuuu wai.gif

Thailand Isn't any better or worse IMHO. The few things that have improved it have been offset by a few bad things that came from it. I have been here since 2005( sometimes on and off for business for short back to states stints but mostly here). The key thing to realize is it is trying to be "western" in so many ways and has no idea how to really go about it. What us foreigners are feeling is pressure due to all the low life foreigner tourist scumbags and scammers that came in and exploited the place and now muddied it up for the honest guy. Its no different than anywhere else. I have always been here on a B Visa so all this border run stuff was never on my radar. Now being just over 50 I use the AO retirement visa and it is a simple 5 minute check in.

@ the OP, living in any high visibility tourist congested area (Samui and Hua Hin) only raises the level of BS. Your are seen as a mark for money. I lived in 5 different parts of Thailand over my tenure here experimenting and found that a nice place outside BKK and away from all the beach tourist nonsense is pretty much unchanged and business as usual. A very nice comfortable life can be found and enjoyed.

Its all what you make it. I have had my moments where I shake my head(usually laugh at same time) but back in the states I shook it a lot more with way more frustration and anger. I guess in the states I expect more, In Thailand my expectations of system things are way less thus little frustration.

Good Luck

I'm with ya all the way.

One of my favorite sayings "expectations lead to disappointment"

If you see my other posts you will see how I feel.

You are right on man.

Good job !

Emotional Dysregulation:

Peer pressure.

For the most part, better. I love the skytrain, the big shopping malls on a hot day (basically every day is hot!). I also feel that Thai ladies are eager to meet a farang now because it is more socially accepted and most cannot get a good Thai man these days so we're the next best thing.

So today have a 46 year old, uni educated woman come for interview.

In the advert is says must read, write and speak good English.

She is told to come for interview at 3pm, she shows up at 11am

Cleaner tells her interviews are at 3pm.

She comes back at 2:30 pm and as it turns out can hardly string 2 words in English, mind you in her resume she states she worked in India and Dubai for a decade.

I seriously doubt she spoke HIndi or Arabic.

Anyhow, after seeing that she can not string 2 words in English, i tell her no, give her back her documents and cut up her application.

She is standing there looking at me like a sheep.

After 5 or so mins she asks if i will interview her?(i guess first sign of being retarded) i reply, no i will not.

Now she tells me but the lady(cleaner) told her blah blah blah.

Now i am pissed off and can no longer take the stupidity, so i ask her how old are you? She reply 46 after thinking for a minute.

Great i say, 46, do you have anything inside your head? meaning do you have any brains at all.

After thinking for another minute or so, she replies, NO.

So i double check what she says, and ask her again,, You do not have any brain?

Response was, No, i do not, its hot outside.

Love it. Look on the bright side; the woman actually told the truth about having no brain, and truth here is a rare commodity. Perhaps she was worth employing for that reason alone !

goodpost.gif But who really knows, what the woman understood. Sure not "brain"

Maybe, "Did you have some rain?" lol. Hyaenen.gif

I first came in 2002 on a long delayed 'R&R'. Two week millionaire then, loved it. Fell in love, damnit, in '06. I married in '08, good lady, have house, truck, all the bills that go with. I'm not a good husband, but careful. Thailand has changed, I would say overall not for the better. I'm here for the long term, love my wife, not so much the famdamnily. First 3 years we were together I never spoke to another farang where we live. Haven't been back and hope to never go back to the states again since 05/2010. I was born in small town, spent much of my life in the sticks, thought I would always want to go back to it, no way, no way in hell. I'm not sure I would make the choice to live here again, nor marry again. Much has changed, much, believe it or not. I first noticed the changes back in 04/05 when I was able to spend more time in country. The world has changed, and not for the better. I'd pick Thailand over the US of A anyday, now and forever.

• Like 1

I don't know about you guys, but when I see a long, amply worded post, I get tired reading it all,

I'm sure the op has put his soul in to writing it but, it take too long to read and I need a beer...

Books are not your friends, I assume. rolleyes.gif

No, a private hospital in Thailand. I have found the care here to be better and faster than my experiences in the USA.

in a soap opera?

what about a real story of a retired man from Europe living up country in Thailand driving his pick up and some moron just pulls out in front of him on their motorbike and is killed, it's an accident and if anyone is to blame then the cretin on the bike should be but no.... European man pays 1 million baht compensation to the family!

1st class insurance, done deal. whistling.gif

whistling.gif I first came here in 1977, and yes Thailand has changed.

Of course that is to be expected ..... what country or person doesn't change with time?.

Thailand is much more of a hectic lifestyle now. The "locals" are not as friendly as they used to be due to the stress of today's lifestyle.

For many working class Thais, what they see on television as the expected Thai lifestyle is beyond their financial reach realistically .... they know it and resent that fact.

The reality of their life and the unrealistic assumptions they are told they can easily obtain causes anger and stress in their daily lives.

Whether you care to admit or not, that economic reality is at the heart of the "Red Shirts" political movement.

Even if it was hijacked by Thaksin and his cohorts for their own self enrichment.

But bottom line, Yes life in Thailand is far less simple now than in 1977, and far more stressful now.

That comment, "We can no longer be those people in the "Land of Smiles" we once were", is one of the most intelligent comments I have heard a Thai or foreigner make in a long time.

How unfortunately true. And it will not get better until that economic problem is resolved somehow.

whistling.gif

Good points and a respectful and intelligent response to the OP.

I think we've all felt a little jaded or homesick at one point or another. It's normal when you're living in a foreign land. A few bad experiences in a row with the locals, a few run-ins with bad tourists and some poor customer service and it can quickly feel as if what was once the best decision of your life is now a situation you want to escape.

The thing that resonates with me the most in your rant is the stuff about friends. I felt exactly how you did living in Samui when I first arrived, which is why I moved to Bangkok.

Have you tried living here before? I'm sure you'd meet like minded people, particularly if you are working online, as one poster suggested you might be.

There's loads of young, vibrant Thais here who are well educated and speak English, all happy to interact and hang out with foreign folk. Not to mention lots of 20, 30 and 40 something foreigners all pursuing different hobbies and careers (i assume you are in one of those age groups from your post). There's loads to do here too, aside from beer n' bars. Plenty of music scenes, art galleries, farmers markets, exhibitions, co-working spaces etc.

Perhaps you just need a change?

Make a change, give it a go, and if it doesn't work out...then home is never a bad place to go.

Best of luck to you.

• Like 2

May I recommend Devon?

May I recommend an insane asylum

You may if you include a flock of devastatingly attractive sheep.

Lol. I like this guy.

I like that answer from =MJP= to goodpost.gif and think, if the sheep are not devastatingly attractive, just let some time pass, they will be getting more attractive by the day, later. tongue.png

Very well said...

My first trip here was April 1998... moved here in 2004 so have been here for 10 years. Some things for sure have changed but all in all I love it here. Especially not working here or running a business here life is great. Sure there are minor annoyances like my internet suddenly went from perfect to garbage in a couple of days, took the building guys few days to get at it after True said all was fine to get into the building. After they went through the connectivity on all floors, it is back to decent.

Stuff is more expensive here than it used to be, gas is not cheap, cars are not cheap, but compared to the USA it sure is less expensive living here. I went back with my Thai wife for almost a year so know what it costs back in the USA. Cars cheaper, gasoline a bit cheaper, blazing fast internet available (my Dad had 70M down/30M Up), lots of tv channels, again my Dad had nearly 1,000 we could watch, food way expensive and boring, going out expensive, doing stuff expensive too. I figured my costs here are about 40% of what it would take for a similar lifestyle back in the US.

Times have changed for sure, but I love it here, have no intentions of leaving other than for trips, maybe go to split time between here and the US, but we will see. I learned a long time ago to focus on the good stuff, believe firmly in the Law of Attraction you get what you focus, and spend your time and energy on. So if you like to moan, gripe and complain, guess what, life will suck!

Thailand Isn't any better or worse IMHO. The few things that have improved it have been offset by a few bad things that came from it. I have been here since 2005( sometimes on and off for business for short back to states stints but mostly here). The key thing to realize is it is trying to be "western" in so many ways and has no idea how to really go about it. What us foreigners are feeling is pressure due to all the low life foreigner tourist scumbags and scammers that came in and exploited the place and now muddied it up for the honest guy. Its no different than anywhere else. I have always been here on a B Visa so all this border run stuff was never on my radar. Now being just over 50 I use the AO retirement visa and it is a simple 5 minute check in.

@ the OP, living in any high visibility tourist congested area (Samui and Hua Hin) only raises the level of BS. Your are seen as a mark for money. I lived in 5 different parts of Thailand over my tenure here experimenting and found that a nice place outside BKK and away from all the beach tourist nonsense is pretty much unchanged and business as usual. A very nice comfortable life can be found and enjoyed.

Its all what you make it. I have had my moments where I shake my head(usually laugh at same time) but back in the states I shook it a lot more with way more frustration and anger. I guess in the states I expect more, In Thailand my expectations of system things are way less thus little frustration.

Good Luck