Renew my Retirement Visa date

My Retirement Visa will expire on the 7th August 2014. Is it true that I can only renew it one month earlier ?

Can I renew it on the 7th July ? . The reason is that I may have to leave Thailand much earlier on

urgent matters. I may have to leave on the 8th or 9th July. I have a multiple Re-Entry Permit.

Your kind advice is much appreciated. Thanking you all in advance.

You can't renew a visa. You mean you want to apply for an annual extension of stay based on retirement at an immigration office.

Yes you can apply 30 days before your current extension of stay expires. There are some offices, like the one at Jomtien, that allow you to apply up to 45 days early, but for most it is 30 days. If you go in on the 7th of July that should be OK. If they hesitate, just mention that you are travelling and would like to get your passport back with the new extension.

Don't forget to also get a re-entry permit or your extension will be lost when you leave the country.

• 4 months later...

Tried to extend my Retirement Visa today, 30 days prior to expiration date, 7 December, in Udonthani, I was told that the rule was changed by notice as of 29 October. I could extend my visa early but it would cost me Bt4000.

Tried to extend my Retirement Visa today, 30 days prior to expiration date, 7 December, in Udonthani, I was told that the rule was changed by notice as of 29 October. I could extend my visa early but it would cost me Bt4000.

They are trying to take you for extra bt 1,100.

You can print the order of 29/8 and ask them where it says that.

Get out your calculator, 4000 - 1900 = 2100, not 1100!

Get out your calculator, 4000 - 1900 = 2100, not 1100!

OMG! I must have made confusion with Jomtien's "hearsay" mark-ups.