High-speed train project continues with the Bangkok-Chiang Mai route

webfact

High-speed train continued

BANGKOK, 17 July 2014 (NNT) - The high-speed train project has been continued with the Bangkok-Chiang Mai route expected to begin service in 2026. Three-hour trips between the two provinces are expected to cost around 1,000 baht/person.

The working committee of the Bangkok-Chiang Mai high-speed train project phase 2 said the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) had given the green light to the project to move forward.

High-speed trains from Bangkok to Phitsanulok is set to operate in 2024 and from Bangkok to Chiang Mai in 2026. The project’s budget for construction and expropriation are estimated at 380 billion baht.

The fare of a three-hour Bangkok-Chiang Mai trip is estimated at 1,074 baht.

According to the committee, officials and the private sector in Chiang Mai expressed concerns over the expropriation and asked the committee to carefully study the matter to prevent future problems.

They also called on the committee to connect high-speed train stations with other transportation systems.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-17 footer_n.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With projects like this their completion price and fares almost always end up much, much higher, especially the final construction cost. But it's easy for current politicians to the blame previous politicians for the gross price under-estimation....and they will also say unforeseen events occurred raising the final price.

I can't see many foreign contractors falling over themselves to get this job

Sure they will...already many major construction projects, especially BTS projects in Bangkok, comprised of joint foreign-Thai companies.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sure they will...already many major construction projects, especially BTS projects in Bangkok, comprised of joint foreign-Thai companies.

Would that be Ital-Thai by any chance . many major rail companies are scared of getting their fingers burnt. Actually it will be the civeils that costs the money

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

after seeing how all other thai built machinery/buildings etc fail miserably very quickly and the fact maintenance is simply non existent, I would never put my life at risk by riding it, high speed and thai simply doesnt cut it safety wiseblink.png alt=blink.png>

Quality control in High speed track construction is critical to provide a safe and low maintenance System. One of the problems for this suggested project is the sheer size of it which is China-esque

Very true and I'd say that estimate of 380 billion baht.is low . We have just completed a project in Malaysia one third the size of BKK -Chang Mai route , low speed or conventional 140kph for around 20 Billion Ringgit or 200 Billion baht

Completely disagree with this move by the Junta.

If Thailand cannot maintain slow speed trains they they won't be able to maintain high speed trains and the consequences will be disastrous.

I think the majority of posters were against the Chinese High speed, really the cost of it when you have air travel.

I used the UK system as an example, plenty fast enough for here. Double track/standard gauge lines---thus fast freight and quick inter city.

This Chiang Mai line I thought would have been the first to axe. The BKK to Khorat to Khon Khen to Udon to Nong Khai, useful for freight, highway 2 congested and needs repair badly. This line to me is the most important of any as it connects 4 of the major cities in Thailand. for. ---population and freight.

• Like 2

Completely disagree with this move by the Junta.

If Thailand cannot maintain slow speed trains they they won't be able to maintain high speed trains and the consequences will be disastrous.

Well China I know has a good high-speed train network, and I'm sure they're partly behind this (isn't the goal to have high-speed rail all the way from Kunming to Singapore? as part of the "Asia for Asians" Chinese domination doctrine) but they are built a bit like plastic (can't say for sure as I am not an engineer but they have that plastic crap look typical of Ch. products) and are loosing money. OTOH this means if you want to travel in Ch. you can do it on subsidized bullet trains (where your trip costs more than the fare you are paying) and if they complete this in the future it will be subsidized travel as well.

• Like 1

Would that be Ital-Thai by any chance . many major rail companies are scared of getting their fingers burnt. Actually it will be the civeils that costs the money

Yes, that's "one" of them...I seen several others in my drivers in and around Bangkok. In fact I've seen so many I wonder if a "Thai only" firm can handle truly BIG construction projects.

High-speed trains from Bangkok to Phitsanulok is set to operate in 2024 and from Bangkok to Chiang Mai in 2026. The projects budget for construction and expropriation are estimated at 380 billion baht.

Who is going to pay 1,000 baht to go to Phitsanulok from 2024 to 2026? That train will run at a huge loss for those two years for sure. I'm not going to bother with the math to figure out what the ridership would have to be to pay off 380 billion baht. I think it's a mistake.

Yes, that's "one" of them...I seen several others in my drivers in and around Bangkok. In fact I've seen so many I wonder if a "Thai only" firm can handle truly BIG construction projects.

Ital -Thai , Sino -Thai there's a few JVs, I work in the industry buddy and the routes in Thailand have been Happening since 2002, I know quite a few of the companies who would be looking at this and Thailand is considered a major risk and they'll be wanting a major Thai company as a partner to share that risk. That's why i think it won't happen , 1000K of high speed track is massive work and beyond any company in Thailand to build adequately, you would need a huge number of expat -experts which would put the costs through the roof. Its a lot different to Metro. Also the civil costs , Viaducts , Tunnels track formation would be huge in That part of Thailand. Can't see it myself , High speed seems to a prestige thing in Asai

I was really hoping that double spur tracks on a consolidated and secured base along with modern rolling stock was the way things would go.. Sigh, another dream shattered.

Anyway who will drive these things and maintain them? Thais? Same as they construct highways?

Edited by cooked

The first time I took the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai was in 1969. The scenery was beautiful no doubt. Also, I will never forget peeking out my curtains on my sleeper and seeing a drunk man walking around wielding a knife. Seventeen hours is a long ride!

Something needs to be done with mass transportation in an attempt to get buses and vans off the road, make travel easier, cheaper, greener, etc. Trains offer the best alternative. There is the whole issue of the ASEAN connectivity plans as well.

I thought the original plans for the trains call for completion before 2026. Should start with Bangkok-Pattaya, Bangkok-Hua Hin as priorities and work on the long hauls after.

I was really hoping that double spur tracks on a consolidated and secured base along with modern rolling stock was the way things would go.. Sigh, another dream shattered.

Anyway who will drive these things and maintain them? Thais? Same as they construct highways?

Thats exactly what they should do and what Malaysia are doing , They've kicked most of the high speed into touch, only going for Kl-Sing

• Like 2

I can see China jumping at this....Build, own and operate......

Yep thats probably what will happen if it happens. You don't want them building anything though , there high speed was and still is being controlled by "Foreign experts" who spend most of there time trying to slow them down in their attempt to Break Railway building records

High-speed trains from Bangkok to Phitsanulok is set to operate in 2024 and from Bangkok to Chiang Mai in 2026. The projects budget for construction and expropriation are estimated at 380 billion baht.

Who is going to pay 1,000 baht to go to Phitsanulok from 2024 to 2026? That train will run at a huge loss for those two years for sure. I'm not going to bother with the math to figure out what the ridership would have to be to pay off 380 billion baht. I think it's a mistake.

I Think that a 1000 baht is " ridiculously expensive " for a high speed train from Bangkok - Chiang Mai. The cheapest train option at the moment is 231 baht. I flew to Chiang Mai a couple of months ago with Thai Lionair for about 600 baht !!!

wai.gif

• Like 1

I would dearly love to see the construction engineers plan to have a train wind through mountains at high speed. Looking forward to some ghastly headlines of entire trains going off the mountain. Have the NCPO finally succumbed to the lure of personal enrichment at the expense of the taxpayers?

• Like 1