American victim of Pattaya Baht Bus pickpocket gang

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving around in baht bus with 5000usd in cash is asking for trouble.

There's always some muppet who picks holes in the victim.

This guys was robbed, they did not know how much money he had on him until they stole it did they. I'm fairly sure he didn't walk around with a sign on his head saying "I've got 5000 US in my pocket".

So, it could have bee you that they robbed with 200 baht in your pocket.

Glad the police caught them and that he got his money back, job well done.

All you slack-jawed harpies should just relax and consider hiring someone to find you a clue. You're the ones that actually "beggar belief". The guy may well have been on his way somewhere to secure the cash - you don't know and it's really none of your business, so just pipe down. The story is the 28yo pickpocket with 100 previous convictions on his record, not the victim!

• Like 1

All you slack-jawed harpies should just relax and consider hiring someone to find you a clue. You're the ones that actually "beggar belief". The guy may well have been on his way somewhere to secure the cash - you don't know and it's really none of your business, so just pipe down. The story is the 28yo pickpocket with 100 previous convictions on his record, not the victim!

Yes hawker I fully agree......and this 28 yr. old thief really should look for another line of work because he is really terrible at what he is doing now! You would think after being caught the first 40 or 50 times he would learn a new trade!cheesy.gif

28 YO and already 100 convictions??

So obviously crimes against tourists are not seen as serious in Thailand.

After his second or third time this guy should have been locked up for 2 years and the sentenced increased each time he re-offends.

Just bolsters the common opinion that we are just walking ATM machines and good for nothing but the money we carry.

Jeez... what a judicial system..... It's almost tantamount to 'aiding and abetting'.

With the "In-Out" "Turnaround" system we have in many European countries.......by that.I mean prisoners been sent to jail for terms of up to 1 to 2 years but being released within a few hours or a few days of arriving, because of overcrowding (or crimes committed whilst on bail)......................100 previous convictions..would be considered small in many cases..

Edited by dotpoom

Whenever your out -and- about, if your careing a large amount of paper money, ALWAYS wear a money belt. With your hands constantly in front of you and your money also under your clothes, it's to hard for a pick pocket to try to lift that.

I suspect that when such large amounts of cash are involved that the victim is identified as a target,and the pickpockets are informed of his whereabouts and the crime planned.

Similar thing happened to a friend{34000 baht] on a baht bus.He had been set up,probably by restaurant staff.A well planned operation,with a gang member providing diversionary tactics on the baht bus,and a motorcycle right behind the baht bus to pick up the escaping pickpocket.

The informant presumably gets a cut of the takings,but is never arrested.

Why Oh why do folks need to carry wallets? I have never carried a wallet since I was pickpocketed many years ago. The thieves can see it so easily. All of my shorts have at least one pocket with a zip and it is almost impossible for someone to get to my big cash and credit card. Normally I keep a couple of thousand baht in one or two of my other pocket for convenience. Zipping and unzipping the bankroll pocket all the time can be a bit cumbersome.

Den

Hope there is follow up on his to see what happens. With "new sheriff in town" who knows? maybe will finally get some real jail time for these creeps. Seems it would be a part of "peace and order" to lock up for a long, long time.

Isnt it about time this guy was handed down a much bigger sentence to stop him praying on innocent people ?

100 offences and counting - it beggers belief.

'Praying on innocent people'... yep, that's bad. Bad monks do that all the time.

@ Jingthing, this is nothing compared to the time you almost lost your life to that pack of drunken Iranian tourists who were on that baht bus with you ! clap2.gif

That was nothing compared to the gaggle of Belgians ... don't ask! (The trauma will never go away.)

• Like 1

That is exactly what I was thinking... <deleted>. I'd be so paranoid I'd have my hand in my pocket the whole time if I were so crazy.

That is exactly what I was thinking... <deleted>. I'd be so paranoid I'd have my hand in my pocket the whole time if I were so crazy.

Well then don't do it! But this guy's doing it is absolutely none of your affair. The word for today is "focus". Try and focus on the person committing the crime. Whatever the innocent victim's reasons for carrying the cash, he no doubt had them, and they are none of your business. He was doing absolutely nothing wrong, and you're just trying to stir the drama pot. Bad guy. (Actually, guys.) Innocent victim. Bad guy does bad thing. Innocent victim catches him. Police come get bad guy. Focus now! OK? Got it? Good boy.

• Like 1

5000 USD. If it was mine no amount of fingers would have got to it unless I was incapacitated. When you are carrying that amount you simply take double care and precautions. Yes you could be subject to a violent robbery, but pick-pocket I think not unless the poor unsuspecting victim is a complete loon!

I concur.

Has that guy never heard of money belts? Either completely naive or barking. Either way, some people should not be allowed on the plane.

Well then don't do it! But this guy's doing it is absolutely none of your affair. The word for today is "focus". Try and focus on the person committing the crime. Whatever the innocent victim's reasons for carrying the cash, he no doubt had them, and they are none of your business. He was doing absolutely nothing wrong, and you're just trying to stir the drama pot. Bad guy. (Actually, guys.) Innocent victim. Bad guy does bad thing. Innocent victim catches him. Police come get bad guy. Focus now! OK? Got it? Good boy.

As with ALL posts on a public forum, not only to provide news, but also to give advice to others as to how to avoid being a victim.

5000 USD. If it was mine no amount of fingers would have got to it unless I was incapacitated. When you are carrying that amount you simply take double care and precautions. Yes you could be subject to a violent robbery, but pick-pocket I think not unless the poor unsuspecting victim is a complete loon!

I concur.

Has that guy never heard of money belts? Either completely naive or barking. Either way, some people should not be allowed on the plane.

Ever tried getting $5,000 into a money belt and still getting it through the belt loops? IMO, anyone who has never carried around $5,000 at one time should quit harping on the guys that do.

Edited by impulse

I concur.

Ever tried getting $5,000 into a money belt and still getting it through the belt loops? IMO, anyone who has never carried around $5,000 at one time should quit harping on the guys that do.

I managed to stuff 200,000B down the front of my nickers once, deposit for my truck. Uncomfortable ride on the scooter to the car shop though - frontal overcrowding of the shorts.

I concur.

Money belts that I'm talking about don't go through belt loops. They are a largish zip bag with a belt that go into your pants. You are talking about the actual belt with a zip, and you can't get much in them at all.

I have carried very large sums of money that way, so I do know what I'm talking about.

I concur.

Money belts that I'm talking about don't go through belt loops. They are a largish zip bag with a belt that go into your pants. You are talking about the actual belt with a zip, and you can't get much in them at all.

I have carried very large sums of money that way, so I do know what I'm talking about.

The fact that you know how to carry your money is no excuse for your "Either way, some people should not be allowed on the plane." That's just rude.

I looked at the guy in the OP, and figured he was wearing shorts and he didn't want a bag of money peaking out below his family jewels. I'd rather have someone pick my pocket for what may be there, than to slit my throat for what they can see.

I'm sorry, but carrying $5000 is really stupid. I'm American and no I'm not stupid enough to carry that amount of money on me even at home. blink.png

It's now a decade back, an American aquaintance picked up 2million bhat at the bank, stashed it into the bottom of his city backpack, and wandered the streets of Bangkok, checking out the car dealerships for his preferred model. I understand he found the car in a show room and heard the car dealers discuss about some delay the new owner was having in picking it up (this guy speaks Thai). He haggled with the car dealer, paid down the full price in cash and drove off next morning with a new car.