How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

Cant believe its "ferang" time again already, its been all of three weeks!

Think the Sin Sot thread is a little over due this time round, and what has happened to the latest "she's different", thread but note we have the regular "what to does Thai earn" thread on the go already...thumbsup.gif

Haven't seen a '(not a bar girl)' for a few days.

To be fair my soon to be ex wife wasn't a bar girl when i met her but she is now. She is too lazy to do any other kind of work.

As for falang/farang word I use it myself to refer to white people I don't know when speaking to a thai ao no I do not take it as an insult. I just take it as meaning a Caucasian.

I have used the pointing back and saying Thai Thai before but now I just smile.

As for the comment about the amount of time here making a difference i have been coming here since 1995 and living here since 1998 so I am not a noob either.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chinese call foreigners 'Gweilo' which translates to 'Foreign Devil', so I guess 'farang' ain't all that bad.

I think that's just in Hong Kong (Cantonese), I think in China they may use something else?

I don't care about farang really. Even amongst fellow westerners I may refer to a westerner as a farang when describing something

I can understand in some situations, people may say 'farang, farang ...' and offer you a drink. They may not know you and we'd perhaps say 'here, mate, do you want some of this' but that's not really how they speak :D

You get kids staring at you sometimes but I get that here in the Middle East! There are more things to worry about than being called farang. I think if it was meant with any ill intent we'd probably pick up on those incidents

It original seems to have been a twisting of French, francaise to farangsais,

who I believe were the first Caucasians to enter the country diplomatically.

So if you don't mind being called French no foul.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

If they are being nice, I smile and tell them in Thai that I am not a guava (farang) and that I am a pineapple ( sapparot ) and much sweeter than a guava.

They have ALWAYS enjoyed this and get a good laugh out of it.

Some Thais I know, now, affectionately call me Mr. Saparot ( Mr. Pineapple)!

If they are being rude or unfriendly when they call me farang, I smile and in Thai tell them that yes, I am a guava and very white inside...and that they are Thai, Black Thai and very dark.

They hate this, they hate being dark.

They never bother me again.

• Like 2

It original seems to have been a twisting of French, francaise to farangsais,

who I believe were the first Caucasians to enter the country diplomatically.

So if you don't mind being called French no foul.

The history of Thailand I have read ( a few books now ) state that the Portuguese were the first europeans in Thailand.

It is also said that the Portuguese were the ones who first imported the guava, or farang to Thailand.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

For a word to be used solely based on the colour of the person's skin in 2014 is wrong, of course all the Thai apologists will say there is nothing wrong with it though.

All caucasians are referred to as Farang despite their being a more polite description which is something about a person from a different flag.

I've sat in hospitals and government offices before listening to the Thai people being called by their name Khun Porawit, Khun Apichat, Khun Patree etc etc then when it is my turn I hear Khun Farang even though they have my name on the documents and it isn't hard to pronounce.

Most societies that used to use names for people based solely on skin colour such as Paki, Chink, <deleted> and the dreaded N word no longer consider it acceptable yet here in Thailand it is still accepted by the locals and even the people being called it. It doesn't matter that it usually isn't used negatively.

But after a fair few years here I know it won't change so just try and ignore it. So to answer the OP's question, I don't like it but don't react to it either.

For a word to be used solely based on the colour of the person's skin in 2014 is wrong, of course all the Thai apologists will say there is nothing wrong with it though.

Ah ... the man thinking with a Western Brain.

We They use Dumb Marrk for a black skinned Thai ... and it's fun at the Farm.

Rule out this PC BS.

It is what it is in Thailand.

OH ... to the poster above ... if you speak Thai ... come to the Farm and enjoy for yourself.

Me ... 'Thai apologists' ... cheesy.gif

A Thai realist ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

All caucasians are referred to as Farang despite their being a more polite description which is something about a person from a different flag.

I've sat in hospitals and government offices before listening to the Thai people being called by their name Khun Porawit, Khun Apichat, Khun Patree etc etc then when it is my turn I hear Khun Farang even though they have my name on the documents and it isn't hard to pronounce.

Most societies that used to use names for people based solely on skin colour such as Paki, Chink, <deleted> and the dreaded N word no longer consider it acceptable yet here in Thailand it is still accepted by the locals and even the people being called it. It doesn't matter that it usually isn't used negatively.

But after a fair few years here I know it won't change so just try and ignore it. So to answer the OP's question, I don't like it but don't react to it either.

Got your one way ticket booked for your flight back to your PC nanny state have you?

Thought not.

Were you able to converse with the lady in Thai and ask her why she referred to as Kh Farang, peronally I think the above is BS, I have never heard any farang being referred to as Kh Farang when a name is being called out.

• Like 1

Got your one way ticket booked for your flight back to your PC nanny state have you?

Thought not.

Were you able to converse with the lady in Thai and ask her why she referred to as Kh Farang, peronally I think the above is BS, I have never heard any farang being referred to as Kh Farang when a name is being called out.

I have heard "F*kc you Farang" many times, but never Khun Farang....laugh.png

• Like 1

Yes it's very observant of you it is indeed 2014 and I left my Country a long time ago because I was an Infidel in my own Country.

I think the biggest disappointment to all the younger travelers is that there is an expat community in Thailand that is doing very well living happily against all the social norms that you have been brainwashed into believing.

Thais can call me a Falung or whatever they like. I'm happy to live with them even privileged. It's their Country and culture and a damn better one than mine.

Why should anyone apologize for Thais? They are doing a great job. Go any spout your philosophy in the Middle East. I'm sure they'd appreciate it more.

• Like 2

Its not racist. That's why its said with such love and affection

I've never heard it said with love and affection. Which is why when I hear it used it puts me in the "us versus them" mindset. Completely f---s my interest in learning Thai or respecting the country, brings me back to the thread a few weeks ago I posted which asked: "is there anywhere any Thailand where you DON'T get the f-rang treatment". Kinda clueless at this point whether there is any reason to learn Thai or I should just make do travelling around the country and getting by with survival Thai and Engrit.

Sorry. I was trying to be ironic.

For a word to be used solely based on the colour of the person's skin in 2014 is wrong,

This statement is ridiculous. The word farang isn't even about skin color, but a classification of people of European descent. It's the farangs (such as yourself) who keep bringing up skin color. If Thais wanted to refer to skin color, they would call farangs "khon kow" which they clearly do not.

As for 2014, I recall recently in America where there was a shooting and before the individual was identified, the news media referred to him as a young "white male." Still happens in 2014. The USA does refer to people by skin color in certain instances, but it's really no big deal.

• Like 2

I get YOU a lot. I was walking to the delat knot (daily market) when three old crones started chanting YOU YOU YOU. They wanted me to have a beer with them. It was 5PM and they were half drunk flower sellers at the edge of the market. So I sat down and they poured me a glass of beer and we toasted each other and I was on my way.

I'm sure they went home and told the family all smiles, "the Farang had a beer with us today."

• Like 2

Like Vinnie Jones said in the movie snatch : and i believe he was called bullit tooth tony in said movie:you can call me susan for all i care.

Don't call me late for dinner though

Just happens to be that all "white" people (Male and Female) are called Falang.

I was curious about this. I wasn't sure if there was a separate word for women. I've heard my husband called farang, but it's never been said to me specifically. I wouldn't mind, though. I don't think it's any different than calling someone in the states a southerner or a New Yorker. It's just a word to describe a particular group of people.

• Like 2

the word itself doesnt bother me in the slightest but ,having said that, Thailand is a deeply deeply racist country and that runs through all levels of society. Living here you just have to accept that. I am though puzzled by those who deny the inherent racism here and assume they must either, be racist themselves or, dont really know Thailand or any Thais.

Edited by wordchild

Is it racist? Yes.

Is it an insult? Up to you...

I have never ever heard an educated or upper-class Thai say around me.

'nuff said.

Very abrupt statement but how on earth can it be racist.blink.png

It's not. Scoutman is just another clueless farang.

• Like 1

Is it racist? Yes.

'nuff said.

Very abrupt statement but how on earth can it be racist.blink.png

It's not. Scoutman is just another clueless farang.

Scoutman360? Strange? Anything to do with Woggles?

Is it racist? Yes.

'nuff said.

Well you can't blame the unworldly lower class thai using the word farang. And it's not the non-thai people that think "farang" is acceptable that are weird. It's those farang that think that "farang" is fine but other words used against other races like jek, chink, paki etc. is not ok because "farang" is a special word of endearment.

My guess is that the thai apologists couldn't cut it in their own country, moved to thailand and live with the peasants who insult them everyday. Then to keep up their self dignity by the only way possible. They go around telling other non-thai people how knowledgeable about Thai culture they are and that farang is a perfectly fine word to be called by anyone. Like I said in previous posts, if you switch the races of the person using the term and switch the words, would it be acceptable?

It's their lives, so they can think what they want.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 2

I don't call Black people Negroids or the N word. I don't refer to White people as Caucasian either. Just White Black or Asian. That's it. No Falang, no mongoloid, no gooks, no whatever. However, you have explained that you refer to white people as farangs. Now I was only trying to understand why you use that word (which you say is not offensive??) but you - possibly because your own political correctness - don't use any slang terms for other races, but you do for white people.

I was asking why?

Aaaah, so you don't get offended by the terms white, black, or Asian. Now we're getting somewhere. Note that those are English words and you are correct, they are not offensive words.

Farang is not a slang term. It's a Thai word. In fact, the link that Kwasaki just provided pretty much explains it. The Thais do not consider it an offensive word. Why some farangs want to insists that this "Thai word" is offensive is beyond me.

some of the reasons are "low self esteem" and "inferiority complex" and "unable to get a life" laugh.png

yes that's it. It's Farango Unchained.

See my previous post