beware new taxi scam

englandman

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the posters stating that THB 1,200 (or THB 1,500) is a bargain for the distance or that the fare of $ 47.xx is very cheap compared to other countries.

The point is that the OP set a fare of THB 1,200 from A -> B and upon arrival it's THB 1,500.

IF just if, the tollway wasn't included in the fare, the fare shouldn't be higher than THB 1,260.

Yes, we're talking peanuts compared to other countries, but it's matter of principles.

Toll Posts Removed

Not the Moderator

Seriously though 1.500 THB from the Airport to Pattaya looks pretty good to me.

Imagine what it would cost if she got into a Black Cab at Heathrow and went to the South Coast of UK??

Around 135 bahts with the bus. And departure every hour from bkk main airport... or from Don muang get the bus for 30 bahts to mochit bus station then 135 bahts to Pattaya.

Departures are not every hour.  I don't know what time they stop, but if you are arriving late, a taxi is the best option.  Heck, even during the day.  Door to door service.  Not bad after a long trip.

Around 135 bahts with the bus. And departure every hour from bkk main airport... or from Don muang get the bus for 30 bahts to mochit bus station then 135 bahts to Pattaya.

i wonder whether one can pay the bus fare in Bitcoins?  huh.png 

• Like 1

Departures are not every hour.  I don't know what time they stop, but if you are arriving late, a taxi is the best option.  Heck, even during the day.  Door to door service.  Not bad after a long trip.

The last Bell bus is at a stupid 6 pm (and only every two hours), but the last Roong Reuang bus to Jomtien is 10 pm (hourly, get dropped off at Nua, Klang or Tai). The last bus alternative is 1 am from Ekamai station but you'd have to go downtown and then back to get to Pattaya. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

The last Bell bus is at a stupid 6 pm (and only every two hours), but the last Roong Reuang bus to Jomtien is 10 pm (hourly, get dropped off at Nua, Klang or Tai). The last bus alternative is 1 am from Ekamai station but you'd have to go downtown and then back to get to Pattaya. 

Possibly the Bell Bus Company chooses not to operate in Pattaya during the hours of darkness.   

It really is an excellent service no matter what.

where else in the world can you drive on a highway for 2hrs for $47 US? (an additional comment was edited out by moderator)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

We always have lots of members here gladly willing to spend other members' money! :)

It's pretty crappy that a new member posts one post and makes allegations of "scams" then never comes back to answer the several questions as to what happened. I personally have never had to pay more than the price quoted. I remember paying 1500 off the official taxi stand with ticket 5 years ago, so 1500 today off the stand is more than likely right. 

In my country, the taxi operator takes up 50% of the meter, what's the arrangement in thailand?

When I catch a taxi from airport to hotel it's normally about 300 to 400 depending on traffic via a meter

Sometimes I try and negotiate to 250-350 with no meter, where most drivers just laugh and act as though you just offered 10 baht

My last trip i offered 350 Inc tolls no meter, to which he refused and did the meter, however the entire.trip.cost 285 so I was surprised he didn't take the 350, assuming the taxi operator gets a cut, it would have profited him a fair bit extra!

Toll Posts Removed

Not the Moderator

Seriously though 1.500 THB from the Airport to Pattaya looks pretty good to me.

Imagine what it would cost if she got into a Black Cab at Heathrow and went to the South Coast of UK??

You're not in the UK........

Taxis as cheap as chips over there I mean, in England you would pay 200 quid lol so not bad really

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

And in Mumbai the same trip might cost 600baht equivalent

So what is your point?

English people shouldnt complain while Indians should

It's pretty crappy that a new member posts one post and makes allegations of "scams" then never comes back to answer the several questions as to what happened. I personally have never had to pay more than the price quoted. I remember paying 1500 off the official taxi stand with ticket 5 years ago, so 1500 today off the stand is more than likely right. 

It's done because people know the nature of the majority of people that post here, ie, they are huge drama queens, easily shocked and offended and basically vey odd people. So the OP started this for a laugh and then sat back having a good old laugh to himself at the shock and horror about the topic from all the gullable, hollier than thou, people on these boards. 

I think the clue that give it away was he said the driver was female. What Thai woman, on her own, is going to start a confrontation with a male, particuarly when a price has already been agreed? I would say it's extremely unlikely.

In my country, the taxi operator takes up 50% of the meter, what's the arrangement in thailand?

When I catch a taxi from airport to hotel it's normally about 300 to 400 depending on traffic via a meter

Sometimes I try and negotiate to 250-350 with no meter, where most drivers just laugh and act as though you just offered 10 baht

My last trip i offered 350 Inc tolls no meter, to which he refused and did the meter, however the entire.trip.cost 285 so I was surprised he didn't take the 350, assuming the taxi operator gets a cut, it would have profited him a fair bit extra!

Same situation in my "home" city in China where they're happy to not turn on the meter so they don't have to share the wealth with the owner.

In BKK, the taxi is generally "rented"  by the day, not on a percentage.  They won't negotiate less than the meter because the next guy in line will happily pay the meter.  They will negotiate over the meter if you let them.

Costs me about $8-9 to get home from Swampy- all in, including meter, tolls and the airport's cut.  That's for a 40-60 minute ride.  A good deal in any major city.

Asked the taxi last trip how much to Pattaya, and he laid out the sheet quoting 1500 Baht plus tolls.  But I've also seen sheets pulled out quoting 2,500 or more for the same trip.

Edited by impulse

Same situation in my "home" city in China where they're happy to not turn on the meter so they don't have to share the wealth with the owner.

In BKK, the taxi is generally payed by the day, not on a percentage.  They won't negotiate less than the meter because the next guy in line will happily pay the meter.  They will negotiate over the meter if you let them.

Costs me about $8-9 to get home from Swampy- all in, including meter, tolls and the airport's cut.  That's for a 40-60 minute ride.  A good deal in any major city.

Asked the taxi last trip how much to Pattaya, and he laid out the sheet quoting 1500 Baht plus tolls.  But I've also seen sheets pulled out quoting 2,500 or more for the same trip.

Thay can't be right, if they were paid set fee per day, then they wouldn't be so eager to get your business while you walk down the street screaming taxeeeeeee taxeeeeeee

There has to be some profit sharing agreement

In BKK, the taxi is generally payed by the day, not on a percentage.  They won't negotiate less than the meter because the next guy in line will happily pay the meter.  They will negotiate over the meter if you let them.

Thay can't be right, if they were paid set fee per day, then they wouldn't be so eager to get your business while you walk down the street screaming taxeeeeeee taxeeeeeee

Poor wording on my part.  The drivers pay a set fee per day for their use of the taxi.  My bad.

I snuck back and revised my post...

Edited by impulse

Poor wording on my part.  The drivers pay a set fee per day for their use of the taxi.  My bad.

I snuck back and revised my post...

Haha all good

So they pay a set fee and then take a percentage of the meter?
This also must be the case because then they wouldn't best eager to push for no meter

Haha all good

This also must be the case because then they wouldn't best eager to push for no meter

In my experience, the only time they push for no meter is when they quote me 500 baht for a ride to the airport, "no meter", when the meter price is closer to 200 baht.

When I first came to BKK, the taxis in front of my hotel refused to turn on the meter because the next foreigner walking out the door was probably willing to pay 2x the meter.  I fell for it a couple of times before I did the math.  

Nowadays, except for the Swampy taxi line, I very rarely even try a standing taxi.  I have much better luck flagging down a moving taxi (though not 100% true on either side)

Haha all good

In my experience, the only time they push for no meter is when they quote me 500 baht for a ride to the airport, "no meter", when the meter price is closer to 200 baht.

When I first came to BKK, the taxis in front of my hotel refused to turn on the meter because the next foreigner walking out the door was probably willing to pay 2x the meter.  I fell for it a couple of times before I did the math.  

Nowadays, except for the Swampy taxi line, I very rarely even try a standing taxi.  I have much better luck flagging down a moving taxi (though not 100% true on either side)

Thats a general rule I follow... A moving taxi is far more likely to offer an honest service. 

The other day a taxi didn't have change for 100 baht... (fare was 47 baht), with some certainty that he was trying it on for a 53 baht tip I took my time going up to my apartment and returned with 47 baht in small change (which was all I could dig up).

The cost, general ease and abundance of taxi's in BKK is something which I consider to be great. Its the taxi's in tourist areas (such as Soi 11 on an evening) which wear thin with their constant attempts to scam and skim.... it just becomes tiring.

Taxis are not required to use the meter when traveling outside their home province.

Just so you know OP.

Oh...  how much did you tip?

'nuff said

~

Yes they are. That's why Bangkok taxis have the Taxi meter rate upto 1000km hanging on the rear of the passenger seat. At least they should have!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app