Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

My mother is on my dependent visa in thailand. I am on Non-b and she is on Non-O. Once you are PR holder what visa she is converted upon? Does anyone knows the process?

She changes her extension of stay from 2.20 (being a family member of soemone who has been permitted to sty under....) to 2.19 which is for persons who are a dependent of a Thai resident (I read that as a person with PR).

So she might need to change her status from 2.20 to 2.19 when you receive PR, but best to ask immigration.

Can someone help advice that after you have got your PR book at CW.

- Can you get Reenrty right then and there?

- Can you travel overseas with Reentry and without Red Book from Police?

No you can't get the endorsement and re-entry permit until you have the Alien certificate. You don't need to have your name in the Tabien Baan to get them though.

How long the police take to issue the Alien certificate seems to depend on your local station. I read reports here of some getting it done in one day but in my case the station knew very little about it and the officer concerned had never done it before. I think it took 3 days.

EDIT: Just noticed your second question. No you don't need the Alien certificate (red book) to travel overseas but as I said above you can't get the re-entry without it.

Edited by Dork

I called CW and they confirmed my PR is approved ( 2007 batch) and asked me to come on next Tuesday. As I asked them not to send the letter to me I realise that I don't know what documents to carry with me when I go to CW.

Can someone list me the documents required?

Edited by tamvine

I called CW and they confirmed my PR is approved ( 2007 batch) and asked me to come on next Tuesday. As I asked them not to send the letter to me I realise that I don't know what documents to carry with me when I go to CW.

This is what I have on my letter of today (in Thai and English):

1. Original and copy of passport (certified true copy)

2. Original and copy of Work Permit (certified true copy)

3. Original and copy of Marriage Certificate (certified true copy)

4. Original and copy of House Registration (certified true copy) and checking the name of the local police station in which jurisdiction your home is?

5. 4x6 cm of 12 Photographs (except Polaroid and not more than 3 months old)

6. Rate of Residential permit Fees as follows :

- in case of section 47 191,400.00 baht

- in case of applicants being husband/wife or children (under 20 years of age) of aliens aliens who already had the residence permit or Thai citizens 95,700.00 baht

The Fee will be paid in cash

Unquote

They also asked to bring my wife. I just called them and got an appointment for next Wednesday.

Edited by Helvetica

Here you are. This is what they require.PR approval - documents required.pdf

What does it mean by original and copy of house registration? I guess that you only get put on the house registration after the approval, so which house registration book are they talking about here?

Yellow tabian baan (TR13) for foreigners. You will change it for a blue one (TR14) when you get PR and the district office will assign you a 13 digit ID number which will be your new tax ID number, your driving licence number and your ID card number, should you ever get Thai citizenship.

I don't think it matters if you don't have a TR13. I don't believe it's compulsory for foreigners to have them but it is compulsory for district offices to issue them, if requested.

Edited by Arkady

We don‘t see the document the Minister signs. However, maybe the latest successful applicants can ask the friendly staff at immigration when they pick up their PR whether the or the new Minister approved it? I also think it would be interesting to know.

The German-Thai Chamber of Commerce sent a circular to all members last week, saying that they want to talk to the Minister about the backlog and asked for ststus update. This is much more powerful than individuals sending letters, I‘d say.

Sent from my LG-P698f using Thaivisa Connect App

What does it mean by original and copy of house registration? I guess that you only get put on the house registration after the approval, so which house registration book are they talking about here?

Yellow tabian baan (TR13) for foreigners. You will change it for a blue one (TR14) when you get PR and the district office will assign you a 13 digit ID number which will be your new tax ID number, your driving licence number and your ID card number, should you ever get Thai citizenship.

I don't think it matters if you don't have a TR13. I don't believe it's compulsory for foreigners to have them but it is compulsory for district offices to issue them, if requested.

I never had a yellow tabien ban. Got added to the blue one where I live after approval of PR. Note that you need two witnesses. I brought the jao ban and a friend of mine (they did ask them how they know me and for how long, so don‘t just bring a motorcycle boy from outside).

I never had a yellow tabien ban. Got added to the blue one where I live after approval of PR. Note that you need two witnesses. I brought the jao ban and a friend of mine (they did ask them how they know me and for how long, so don't just bring a motorcycle boy from outside).

I didn't, nor was asked to, bring any witnesses so I assumed that was an old rule. It was all done in one visit which took about 2 hours. It's strange how different the procedures can be from one office to another.

The house registration (tabien baan) they require is the one you want to to be put on after you get your PR.

Edited by thaiowl

On my side (2008, still waiting) I am confused by two different statements in the past weeks, one was that several hundred applications and possibly the entire batch of 2006/2007/2008 had been signed and all were back to the immigration, the other one was that at the moment, beside the 2006 and few 2007 PRs issued, no more signed applications were at CW. I now put my faith in an older post mentioning the 99% chances that all approved applications could be cleared by the end of the year...

The 99% chance was in the case the older interior minister would still be at the office. But since he's gone, so the 99% hope.

Now the new 99% chance is that, no more PR are going to be signed within this year. lol.

2006 batch and few 2007 PR are few real lucky chaps.

I am thinking of writing a letter to new IM, requesting him to help look my case of PR. Will it help or boomerang?

I called CTW last Friday and the officer told me that my 2008 application has been approved. I wanted to confirm, so I went to CTW on Monday and it is just like what I heard on the phone. Now I am just waiting for my approval letter. I asked the lady for the Minister's name and she said "Than Yongyuth".

On my side (2008, still waiting) I am confused by two different statements in the past weeks, one was that several hundred applications and possibly the entire batch of 2006/2007/2008 had been signed and all were back to the immigration, the other one was that at the moment, beside the 2006 and few 2007 PRs issued, no more signed applications were at CW. I now put my faith in an older post mentioning the 99% chances that all approved applications could be cleared by the end of the year...

The 99% chance was in the case the older interior minister would still be at the office. But since he's gone, so the 99% hope.

Now the new 99% chance is that, no more PR are going to be signed within this year. lol.

I am thinking of writing a letter to new IM, requesting him to help look my case of PR. Will it help or boomerang?

I called CTW last Friday and the officer told me that my 2008 application has been approved. I wanted to confirm, so I went to CTW on Monday and it is just like what I heard on the phone. Now I am just waiting for my approval letter. I asked the lady for the Minister's name and she said "Than Yongyuth".

It's starting to sound like those reports (rumours?) in Sept/Oct about Yongyuth having signed several hundred applications were true after all. I asked one the PR staff specifically about 2008 on behalf of a friend. The answer was no, only 2006. Seems like they want to keep that info close to their chest.

Anyway, great news. Congratulations!

Congratulations. First 2008 approval on TV Forum.

Can someone share the experience at CW nowadays...are they giving the PR book right away or are asking to come back after 1-2-3 days?

There are quite a few posts in this thread from last month describing the process. But anyway, if you go in the morning you will get the residence certificate in the afternoon.

Can someone share the experience at CW nowadays...are they giving the PR book right away or are asking to come back after 1-2-3 days?

I have just returned from getting my PR book from CW. Got there at 8:30am with all the necessary documents. Had to sign a few things and they put my thumb prints on my PR book and a ledger. Had to wait for about an hour and then four of us were led into the VIP room to formally receive our PR books from an immigration official (pictures were taken). She told us to go to our local police station to get the alien book (they give you a letter addressed to your local police station telling them to issue you with an alien book). She also told us to get a 1+5 year extension when we get our alien book and to ensure we get an endorsement in the PR book and a re-entry permit in our passports if we want to leave the country. I was finished at 11:30am.

In the afternoon, I went to Pakkret police station armed with the letter. At first, the police said they needed my file but we insisted the letter from immigration was sufficient. Then they told us they didn't have any alien books in stock and would try to source one from another police station. I have to call them next Tuesday to see if they have found a book for me. Hope they will; the deadline for getting the alien book is 7 days after receiving the PR book.

In the afternoon, I went to Pakkret police station armed with the letter. At first, the police said they needed my file but we insisted the letter from immigration was sufficient. Then they told us they didn't have any alien books in stock and would try to source one from another police station. I have to call them next Tuesday to see if they have found a book for me. Hope they will; the deadline for getting the alien book is 7 days after receiving the PR book.

You could inform them that Muang Nonthaburi station (near the clock tower) has some. I saw a small pile of them when I picked mine up last month.

You could inform them that Muang Nonthaburi station (near the clock tower) has some. I saw a small pile of them when I picked mine up last month.

Thanks for the info. We'll call Pakkret police and tell them. A friend of mine said he got the last of Pakkret's alien books a few months ago!

Thanks for the info. We'll call Pakkret police and tell them. A friend of mine said he got the last of Pakkret's alien books a few months ago!

Really? Then they might need to print some more but they're going to have to find a new printer because the last guy is surely long dead. You'll know what I mean when you get your book.

By the way, congratulations!

When I went to CW way back in March 2012 the officer there told me that IM had asked all pending PR details in 2 batches. 1 batch of 2006/7/8 and another 2009/10/11. So it seems 1st set was approved long back but CW was holding it and clearing it year by year.

Anway Great! Only proves that this forum has been great place to share small but important pieces of the puzzle called PR in Thailand.

Edited by tamvine

Does anyone know, for certain, if the final fee payable is based on the original application or can it be changed according to current status?

So much time has been lost in the last few years that since the application I married a Thai (longer than the qualifying period) and even started a family!

Can I pay the lower fee?

Does anyone know, for certain, if the final fee payable is based on the original application or can it be changed according to current status?

So much time has been lost in the last few years that since the application I married a Thai (longer than the qualifying period) and even started a family!

Can I pay the lower fee?

should be based on original application. better call CW and reconfirm.

Can I pay the lower fee?

It's worth asking but I am sure they will tell you that you are free to withdraw this application and re-apply from scratch as someone married to a Thai, if you want to save the dosh. That is the quid pro quo of approving people who stopped working after they applied. Remember that, if you had applied as having a Thai spouse, they would have had to do exhaustive due diligence on your wife and your marriage, including photographs of the two of you on the marital bed together.

Can I pay the lower fee?

It's worth asking but I am sure they will tell you that you are free to withdraw this application and re-apply from scratch as someone married to a Thai, if you want to save the dosh. That is the quid pro quo of approving people who stopped working after they applied. Remember that, if you had applied as having a Thai spouse, they would have had to do exhaustive due diligence on your wife and your marriage, including photographs of the two of you on the marital bed together.

Not saying that you are wrong about what they will likely say but I'm pretty sure that applying under family vs business and the lower fee based on marriage are separate issues. In other words, if you have been married for 3 years but apply under the business category you will still qualify for half fee.

I think his issue is whether the requirement of 3 years marriage would apply to the date of application or the date of receiving PR. It could be argued that it isn't fair because someone that got married in 2005 and applied in 2006 or 7 would pay full whack whereas the same person applying 2008 would pay half even though they received PR at almost the same time.

EDIT: You're right about the quid pro quo though. Hadn't thought about that.

Edited by Dork

Once you have the red book from local police station can you go to CW straight away to CW and get reentry done?

Yes. I did exactly that.

EDIT (again...): Sorry, I just remembered that I didn't go straight from the police station to CW. I did visit the amphur in between. But CW didn't ask anything about Tabien Baan and I recall other posters saying similar.

Edited by Dork