Thai conscientious objector risks jail in rare refusal of military service

webfact

3 hours ago, grandpa said:

Following the war, he was ridiculed, scorned, spat on, and generally seen as a persona non grata.

Interestingly Vietnam vets were treated very much the same be them regular or conscripts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Probably a Gen z'er that wants to stay at home on his playstation and has nothing to do with morals

He says he is operating his own business. 

• Agree 1

Good for Netiwit.

Though I probably don't (in general) approve of draft avoiders, in the case of Thailand with its corruption and the fact that conscription is only for the poor, I agree with his action and respect his courage.

Besides, Thailand doesn't NEED conscription. Just pay the young trainee soldiers a decent wage and treat them as young trainee soldiers not officers' servants & bumboys and you would have more volunteers than you could cope with.

53 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Interestingly Vietnam vets were treated very much the same be them regular or conscripts.

The VN situation was complex. I got conscripted, served in VN.

Back home there was nothing available to get re-employed / resume education.

Tried to join a national ex-servicemens organization, the lady laughed and said 'you cannot join, we don't have a box on our  member application form for VN vets because it wasn't a real war', and she pointed to the door. 

Further the day we returned to home (a group of twenty vets) we arrived at the army HQ office for our state at 3:00 am in the morning and got abused by the civilian clerical workers because they had to come to work early in the morning (3:00 am) to process our discharge paper. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“I’m very anxious. When I’m sleeping, I am thinking about whether I will have to go to jail. I will lose a lot of things – I already have a business now. I will lose everything,” Netiwit, 27, told the Observer. But he added: “I think someone has to do this, to show that we have a problem.”

Brave young man... aged 27 with a business being forced to take a lottery dip and lose everything if he picks a red card... ludicrous Thailand. 

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Probably a Gen z'er that wants to stay at home on his playstation and has nothing to do with morals

Why not his choice to decide instead of a military state? 

Is not passivity a moral action in which one is defined by what they do not do versus immoral/unethical action?

Thailand is not facing any eminent military threat from any other nations(unlike Israel and Ukraine).

What a waste to conscript a man who is already a successful entrepreneur.

Far better to let him work as it is now and keep him a good tax payer instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Brave young man... aged 27 with a business being forced to take a lottery dip and lose everything if he picks a red card... ludicrous Thailand. 

not the lottery red/black card pick for him, he's refusing to enlist which is straight to jail rather than serving out time in barracks

• Agree 1

Every April in Thailand young men take part in a lottery to determine whether they will be forced to do military service. Pull out a red card and you are drafted for up to two years. A black card means you are exempt.

only those who haven't had the foresight to do the boy scout/cadet training thing while at school. very easy to avoid military service, no need to get involved in the lottery.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

Every April in Thailand young men take part in a lottery to determine whether they will be forced to do military service. Pull out a red card and you are drafted for up to two years. A black card means you are exempt.

only those who haven't had the foresight to do the boy scout/cadet training thing while at school. very easy to avoid military service, no need to get involved in the lottery.

You think temple school in Nakhon Nowhere has access to the cadet program? or the parents can afford the uniforms?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

not the lottery red/black card pick for him, he's refusing to enlist which is straight to jail rather than serving out time in barracks

I said if he picks... which he say's will lose him everything if he gets enlisted.

Outdated system.

Good for him.  A massively outdated practice.  And they're not even at war.  It would be ok (discipline, social skills, etc.) if it weren't for what they actually end up being forced to do during their service.

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I give you 1st prize for the most stupid comment I've seen today (so far). Congratulations.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Agree 1

On 4/23/2024 at 3:37 PM, borderhopper2005 said:

Thailand is not facing any eminent military threat from any other nations(unlike Israel and Ukraine).

What a waste to conscript a man who is already a successful entrepreneur.

Far better to let him work as it is now and keep him a good tax payer instead.

I was surprised to know Thailand has a conscription service.

2 hours ago, rabang said:

I was surprised to know Thailand has a conscription service.

Not every foreigner knows this country has  mandatory  national  services.

Not every single young Thai  men between 17-27 joins military without a choice.

But roughly 80000 men are required to go the armed forces(either army, navy, air force).

Their conscription is based upon lottery; pick a ball in the Blackbox.

If you got black one. you can walk free; no needs to  become a soldier.

If you got red one, bad luck...