visa office won't return passport

I saw that on the "ask the lawyer" section there was a message about someone's passport not being returned by a visa office,I'm in the same situation,is this visa office perhaps in phuket?,maybe we can join forces?is there anyone else out there with the same problem?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a little more info from the OP may be helpful.

Did they (somebody) give you a receipt? Why do they have it in the first place?

It was given to the office many months ago in order to get a 1 year visa,every time they say that it will be ready next week,can anyone advice on what to do?I don't have a receipt no,I had been doing business with this office for 14 years previously.

• Like 1

what they are doing is illegal and punishable by law,the passport is the property of the Crown ie H M THE QUEEN and can not be held or kept I suggest you contact the British Embassy in Bangkok as what they are doing is tantamount to Treason by keeping a crown possession

Not my passport

The important question is what was the visa office supposed to do for you?

If they were supposed to get a new visa for Thailand, it would have been illegal and you could be in serious problems.

If they were supposed to get an extension of stay for you, there should be no problem unless they tried to use fake stamps.

• Like 1

It was given to the office many months ago in order to get a 1 year visa,every time they say that it will be ready next week,can anyone advice on what to do?I don't have a receipt no,I had been doing business with this office for 14 years previously.

Are you getting a visa or extension of stay and based on what?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If the office in question have been holding it for many months, if the many months is over 3 then you will be in an overstay position if one year multi entry or be fined minimum 2,000 baht if it was an extension of stay.

Just shows, you have been doing business with the same company for the last 14 years and there is no trust.

Sounds like a shortcut that has taken a very big detour.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 2

A friend of mine had his passport held for 6 moths by a well known visa agent / law office  in Phuket.

He was also waiting for a 12month visa. In the end he went to the Immigration volunteers and they phoned the lawyer, the passport was returned the next day with a 12 month visa dated that day.

It sounds like some dodgy visa agent is holding the passport because they cannot get whatever they claimed they could do done. Or perhaps have lost it doing whatever they were supposed to be doing.

I think what I would do is go to the police and report it stolen. If they are not able to get it back then get a new passport.

Yes, very much so. Not the first story of this kind. They all (visa agents or dishonest lawyers) can do things under the table, right? They know this guy at the immigration or some other big guy, typical line sales line. I always say do things legally and you will be safe. Using dodgy agents is very dangerous. The same goes for dishonest language schools, mostly tiny with one or two classrooms, selling ED visas. Sooner or later there will be trouble.  

I am not sure if reporting the agent to the police is the best idea. If you tried to do something illegal it could be more problems for you. 

But he might well need a police report in any event before he can obtain a replacement passport.

Please get your facts straight.  Visas are NOT issued from within Thailand; that is something that is done at a Thai Embassy/Consulate in a foreign country.

You can get an extension of stay for an existing visa, but not a new visa.

Can you please indicate whether you turned over your passport to a Thai Immigration department (in Phuket) or to a private company?

If the latter, well, in my opinion, that was unwise.

Please get your facts straight.  Visas are NOT issued from within Thailand; that is something that is done at a Thai Embassy/Consulate in a foreign country.

Can you please indicate whether you turned over your passport to a Thai Immigration department (in Phuket) or to a private company?

I'd be interested to know how much money he gave them

I'd be interested to know how much money he gave them

Not enough

• Like 1