moving to thailand now or later

boris77

hi all, brief history been married to thai 10 years ,2 kids 8 and 4. we are both 36 years old and have been living in uk for 6 years now. for the last few years i have put the idea (dream) of living in thailand to the back of my mind until kids have grown up but just lately am getting the urge to make a go of it in thailand. i know with 2 kids have to carefully consider everything, with schooling most important. i would pay for international school . believe me the schools in the uk are not as great as people think , not the ones round here anyway. I have been saving for a mortgage but the rising house prices is crazy just outside of london and even with a big deposit i still couldnt afford to get on the ladder, So am thinking use my deposit money to set myself up in thailand instead, about 80,000 pound. 4 mil baht. bought land few years ago to build house on so was thinking 1.5/ 2 million for a house , couple of bikes and a mil or so left in the bank. I would be quite willing to come home for 3 months every 6 months for a while and slowly set small business up for wife . the more i think about moving the more it makes sense,dont want to do it when too old to enjoy the journey, any experiences and helpful advice welcome

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boris, I don't want to put you off your plans, but for me you are too young to retire in Thailand.

Your 80K will not last you long and it will be very difficult for you to find a job.

I understand for your wife will be more welcome as she is Thai and she wants to be near her relatives.

But for you, I believe you should stay in the UK, whatever you say, the education system is much better than here and an International private school will cost you an arm and a leg.

Don't know in what business you are in, but this going and coming back will take a tall on you.

I would stick it for some more years in the UK and then start thinking of a move.

Good Luck to you and your family, whatever you decide to do.

• Like 2

thanks for the reply, that was my cautious view before to get my savings up ,but will they ever be high enough. the area where i am in uk is slowly getting more run down , people are stressed and miserable ,scrapping by paying the bills. i just feel we could have a better outdoor quality of life , not stuck in the house most the year because of the poxy weather

The most expensive cost of living anywhere is the roof over your head. You are probably paying big money rent right now. You wouldnt have that in Thailand, you can buy a house and thats done. You and your family then have a home no matter what.

You have enough to last a little while, so your main hurdle is job/income. Thats the problem, can you do something to pay your daily living and bills and schooling for the children etc.

hi rolandrat, its true housing is the biggest expense and with 2 million think i could get a half decent place. a happy home is important for a happy life. im a carpenter and i know i could get work in samui for 10000 baht a week if needed to, have friends and family living and working there, but like i said i really wouldnt mind coming back to uk every 6 months or so and save a mil then come back. cheers

hi rolandrat, its true housing is the biggest expense and with 2 million think i could get a half decent place. a happy home is important for a happy life. im a carpenter and i know i could get work in samui for 10000 baht a week if needed to, have friends and family living and working there, but like i said i really wouldnt mind coming back to uk every 6 months or so and save a mil then come back. cheers

You have a problem with Carpentry! Its a prohibited occupation for a foreigner in Thailand.

Bricklaying, carpentry, or other construction work.

You have a problem with Carpentry! Its a prohibited occupation for a foreigner in Thailand.

Bricklaying, carpentry, or other construction work.

But being a contractors not right?

Deportation will not be nice,when you get caught for working without a permit, what happends to your wife and 2 children then???/

• Like 2

" hi rolandrat, its true housing is the biggest expense and with 2 million think i could get a half decent place. a happy home is important for a happy life. im a carpenter and i know i could get work in samui for 10000 baht a week if needed to, have friends and family living and working there, but like i said i really wouldnt mind coming back to uk every 6 months or so and save a mil then come back. cheers "

First of all the biggest expense is not housing it is children and their education. An international school for each kid will cost you more than 200,000 a year.

Second of all, I don't see how any carpenter in Thailand earns 10k baht a week and I don't see how anyone will hire a foreigner for that. You could start a construction firm though and hire Thais and train them to your standard.

Unless you have a real strategy to earn income in Thailand, you will loose all that you have and go back to England with even less than now.

I understand the transition periods in ones life and feeling the need for a change. As a parent you need to endure and go through the grind until you are in an extremely solid place not just financially but everything else also.

I do wish you all the luck but my gut feeling is to stay endure and slowly build up until you have a real strategy. Thailand spits people out everyday.

Don't do it. Stay there where you feel at home. It's way too much of a hassle for you to live here at 36 and if you don't have lots of money to keep you going, don't think about it. Very unlikely you will find a job doing and making what you want and unlikely your start up business will make enough to cover your needs.

• Like 2

You can't be a chippy in Thailand. Well, not legally anyway

I can sympathise with how you feel but if you don't have an income, you'll blast through those savings in no time.

Thailand is no place to be skint

• Like 2

my brother in law works legally as a contractor in thailand in construction business, but i think like i said instead of watching the savings dwindle i would come back and get another mil in the bank every 6 months or so whilst im young enough to and still able. I do know the sensible thing is to stay here another 20 years and maybe have a few more quid in the bank but sometimes we just have to not think with our heads but go with our hearts .

• Like 1

my brother in law works legally as a contractor in thailand in construction business, but i think like i said instead of watching the savings dwindle i would come back and get another mil in the bank every 6 months or so whilst im young enough to and still able. I do know the sensible thing is to stay here another 20 years and maybe have a few more quid in the bank but sometimes we just have to not think with our heads but go with our hearts .

If you can come back and guarantee yourself that kind of cash for 3/4 months a year then go for it. But i'd give up on trying to work in Thailand mate, too many pitfalls.

Thailand is not the right place for anyone to move at this time.

It's getting harder for foreigners to stay here.

It's very hard for most foreigners to earn money here (legally).

The Junta is getting more repressive.

Inflation is runaway.

I can't imagine anyone would want to move here now.

I wish I hadn't (and I'm not a foreigner).

I have to agree that this is something to put some serious thought into...........

thanks for all the replys. sure is food for thought . my wife already has a small business plan and without too much of a set up cost. and it s a pretty good idea, small but could pay the billls etc. like i said in first post i d always put off the idea of living in thailand once i had kids , but now ive got an inner urge to give it a go and it wont go away. we are not coming to thailand to get rich just live a simple , happy life in a nice house in a nice enviroment. chumphon . or i just forget about it and let the urge go away and be sensible and safe

• Like 2

thanks for all the replys. sure is food for thought . my wife already has a small business plan and without too much of a set up cost. and it s a pretty good idea, small but could pay the billls etc. like i said in first post i d always put off the idea of living in thailand once i had kids , but now ive got an inner urge to give it a go and it wont go away. we are not coming to thailand to get rich just live a simple , happy life in a nice house in a nice enviroment. chumphon . or i just forget about it and let the urge go away and be sensible and safe

Boris the Road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Given your present financial circumstances it would be very difficult. That's just an observation don't take it personally.

Why don't you plan extended holidays every year and get a feel for it first.

hi atf , extended holidays each year only in the past have teased me into wanting to give it a go. it depend s what drives you i suppose, im not one who needs loads of money to make me happy, its not all about finances , i understand a little financial security but 4 million baht isnt a bad starting point is it ?

I would go for it!

what people seem to be missing is that you are going to go back every year or so and work earn say 1M baht then go back and enjoy yourself with your family.

Many people do travel back and forth, whether they work in other countries or return to England.

I would recommend after spending 3 mil keep 1 mil in the bank to ensure any extra training can be done when returning(standards are ever changing).i have experienced this.

As for the national insurance,I'm sure being a chippy you have been working paying this for 20 years so if you needed to you could pay the remaining years off in lump.

If you don't try you will never know

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand