Best new pickup 6-700000?

Bung

Looking at buying a new pickup. There is a lot of choice but have narrowed what type I want down, just not what make.

I want an extra cab style, 2wd MT and not one of the high riders. I want to be able to load bikes easily and they are cheaper.

Not sold on the Mazda or Ford, too big.

Had a look at a chev Colarado 2.5 LTZ with touch screen audio and seemed nice. Dual airbags as well. 700k.

Had a look at the Isuzu space cab vgs z 2.5. Kind of prefer that because it's an isuzu. Not as powerful as the chev. Isuzu just has the reputation and seem good quality. 695k. Their website is a joke though compared to others. Shame.

I'd like to stay away from Toyota as I had a Vigo 4wd for 7 years and want to look at something different for a change!

New nissan seems promising, have yet to look and Mitsubishi, not that keen on its looks.

I kind of want the chev or Isuzu. To me the Isuzu has the better pedigree but the chev is more powerful but an unknown long term reliability?

Hoping there are some mad close put deals with new models coming out. I see nissan are still selling the old navaras. I kind of like them too but get conflicting reports on reliability.

Did a lot of searching here.

Any other tips in my price range? I want economy and reliability first, dual airbags and a decent audio package would be nice plus limited slip diff, no salesman can ever answer that one!

Thinking about this Chev it's a bit odd. I can't find any mention of this model on their website. It is a 2.5 LTZ extra cab but not a high riding z71 model. There is no mention of a not Z71 LTZ on their website. It had their touch screen media unit in it (no CD player) and steering wheel controls for audio and Bluetooth phone control. Rode on 16" wheels. It kid of suits me like that. Salesman said 700k with the usual extras which puts it on par with the top model Isuzu Spacecab at 696k.

I'd like to stay away from Toyota as I had a Vigo 4wd for 7 years and want to look at something different for a change!

That's an interesting response. I had a Toyota PU for a number of years, and all it made me do was want to get another one. However, i'm sure the Chebby has become Toyota's equal in quality and reliability, now that American design and engineering have established themselves as best in the world, according to Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Why would they lie? xwacko.png.pagespeed.ic.jGW10VtQsI.png

The Toyotas are great but the design has been around for 10 years now and is boring as hell. They don't offer anything to make their Hilux just about as boring as a vehicle you can get.

I might wait for the new models but am only looking for a second workhorse pickup in the price range I mentioned and think there are some good deals about at the moment.

If it helps, the Isuzu and Chevy are the same car, (same as Mazda and Ford) the D-Max is rebadged here and the middle east as the Chevy Colarado and in Oz as the Holden Colarado (used to be the Rodeo) so it basically comes down to asthetics!

and different engine.

If it helps, the Isuzu and Chevy are the same car, (same as Mazda and Ford) the D-Max is rebadged here and the middle east as the Chevy Colarado and in Oz as the Holden Colarado (used to be the Rodeo) so it basically comes down to asthetics!

2nd hand up to around 2012 yes, but not the new latest models

I'd take another look at the new NP300 Nissan Navara.

Audio system links to an Android phone/tablet. 5" or 7" screen,satnav,etc.

2.5 engine with maximum of 190 bhp. Not too sure about the extended cab model but the 4 door looks good.

The King Cab appears to have dual front Airbags but as an option on some models...

http://www.nissan.co.th/~/media/Images/Nissan/Asia%20Pacific/Thailand/H60A/p-2/KC/EN_king.pdf

The Toyotas are great but the design has been around for 10 years now and is boring as hell. They don't offer anything to make their Hilux just about as boring as a vehicle you can get.

I might wait for the new models but am only looking for a second workhorse pickup in the price range I mentioned and think there are some good deals about at the moment.

Interesting choice of words...boring let's try some synonyms. .....maybe uneventful. ..predictable. .reliable. ..some might say that would be an asset .

• Like 1

2nd hand up to around 2012 yes, but not the new latest models

Correct Ignis. Before 2012 GM shared the same assembly plant as Isuzu. AFter that, GM opened their own plant. If you do 1 walk around you might still see lots of similarities between the 2, but take them out test drive them, crawl under and look. I had a 2006 Isuzu 4 door pickup, loved it, but knowing GM trucks most of my life, I longed for the Chev. only for the reputation GM has. If you can wait, I would hold off for the 2015 models to come out, then buy a 2014 if you want to buy new and save money. I can say either Isuzu or Chev are typically good quality rigs. In Central Th where I spent most of my life in thailand, the Toyota was the more popular truck, and the more expensive, with rigid truck like suspension in the ones I rode in. Chev and Isuzu more like car suspension rides.

If you can afford it, buy a Ford.

My mechanic friend says Ford is most expensive truck to maintain.

I have owned 2 in Thailand and thats not true. In fact they are cheaper than the others to maintain. Also most parts OEM are cheaper in case of an accident.

My first Ford pick up 400,000 kms without any repairs, 2nd pick up now on +/- 260,000 with no repairs.

Try that with a Toyota.

• Like 1

A related question, if I may, since I am also considering a new pickup truck...

If you pay cash, rather than taking a loan, what kind of discount can you expect?

Thanks.

The make less money since they miss out on the finance commission, so expect less discount/extra's.

I have owned 2 in Thailand and thats not true. In fact they are cheaper than the others to maintain. Also most parts OEM are cheaper in case of an accident.

My first Ford pick up 400,000 kms without any repairs, 2nd pick up now on +/- 260,000 with no repairs.

Try that with a Toyota.

The 3 best vehicles I have ever owned in my life have all been Toyotas. I am interested in the comments about high maintenance costs in Toyota v/s Fords ??? and other brands, because I am not sure what mileage can be expected from these small high revving diesel motors of current pickups. What I have been warned about is hard riding in the Fords next to Toyotas. An ex Toyota owner bought a new Ford & is disappointed in the hard ride. We have a 3 year old 2WD 4 door Vigo and we consider the ride and handling of our Vigo to be extremely car-like & very comfortable, unlike a comment above. We are thinking of changing to an auto as my wife has a bad left knee & any traffic driving gets to her. Any considered comments from unbiased owners would certainly be helpful to us in a few months when we make our move.

Try that with a Toyota.

The 3 best vehicles I have ever owned in my life have all been Toyotas. I am interested in the comments about high maintenance costs in Toyota v/s Fords ??? and other brands, because I am not sure what mileage can be expected from these small high revving diesel motors of current pickups. What I have been warned about is hard riding in the Fords next to Toyotas. An ex Toyota owner bought a new Ford & is disappointed in the hard ride. We have a 3 year old 2WD 4 door Vigo and we consider the ride and handling of our Vigo to be extremely car-like & very comfortable, unlike a comment above. We are thinking of changing to an auto as my wife has a bad left knee & any traffic driving gets to her. Any considered comments from unbiased owners would certainly be helpful to us in a few months when we make our move.

High revving, the current ford ranger auto changes into top gear at 90 KPH

and is doing 1600 RPM at that speed, at 125 KPH it is dong about 2200 RPM in top gear

Not really high revs

It's a choice with many considerations, but my choice would be the one with the most safety equipment. You can't buy a model here with the same amount of safety equipment mandated in western countries, but it all works and it does save lives.

With the accident rate so high here in Thailand, it's number one on my list.

It's a choice with many considerations, but my choice would be the one with the most safety equipment. You can't buy a model here with the same amount of safety equipment mandated in western countries, but it all works and it does save lives.

With the accident rate so high here in Thailand, it's number one on my list.

then I think the top of the range BT 50 has the most airbags?

I'm also interested in a pickup, but it must be a 4x4 ext cab. do you guys have any explaination why there is no ford 4wd ext cab available and no auto gear available in this configuration on any brand?!?

I'm also interested in a pickup, but it must be a 4x4 ext cab. do you guys have any explaination why there is no ford 4wd ext cab available and no auto gear available in this configuration on any brand?!?

maybe because the demand is too low to justify it?

• Like 1