options when visa runs out and no funds

T -10years: 1 million USD

"been surviving on borrowing and living in poverty for a few years"

which means in less than 5 years you went from 1 million dollars to 0 and you claim you are on retirement visa so 50+... amazing Thailand where you can live easily for 4000$ per year but people end up spending 200,000$ per year blink.png

With your calculation you can live easily on 4000 USD a year, which means 12,000 Baht per month.

Rent, eating and possible seeing once in a while a doctor and god forbid have a beer once a week. 12,000 Baht a month? If I have to survive on 12,000 Baht a month I certainly wouldn't waste my live and energy to stay in Thailand.

• Like 2

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to contact your embassy

Most of the embassies in Europe don't assist in buying a ticket back to Europe. If the OP is a US citizen he might have luck in getting a ticket.

He will still get good advice from them. And they can help with other things than money also

cheapchiangmai --

the party's over, it's time to go home.

I'm assuming you're in Chiang Mai because of your screen name. You need to set up an on-line appointment with the consulate and go in to talk with them pronto! They can place calls with your family and friends in the U.S. about borrowing funds -- sometimes a call from them carries more weight than a call from you. But, the call would be about funding a flight home for you. They can arrange for a flight home, probably on Korean Air, which had very handy one-stop service to multiple locations in the U.S. at a very reasonable rate. If nobody will help fund your flight, they can make you a loan to return to the U.S.

There are options.

Why would you want to stay here if you're broke? In the U.S. you have access to social services. You can go on welfare. You can file for other benefits. You're probably eligible for many benefits you don't know about, but they're impossible to obtain here in Thailand.

Oh yeah, there's this little problem with the military junta, too. They're taking an increasing dim view of people on overstay and foreigners with limited financial means. It's definitely not a good time to be someone in your situation here. It would be good to arrange return to the U.S. on your own terms, rather than terms dictated by a Thai judge.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

Fake or not, the abstract question is real ... what to do IF the money REALLY runs out and nowhere to turn any more.

I agree the question may very well apply to others, now or in the future, but since this wasn't something that happened suddenly, maybe some planning a little earlier would have been a good idea.

Depending on his nationality, just before the extension expires he MIGHT manage a border run and get another 30 to 60 days on a visa exempt entry to get a little more time to sort things out.

You could go home and start working for a living.

doubtful anyone would even look at his resume dude.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

you dont need a resume to wash dishes

Why would a kitchen hire an old inexperienced man to wash dishes when there are young immigrant types (legal and illegal) who are as said younger, probably more experienced, and can't complain. That's for a job you can't live in. Get real ... there is no work for an overly seasoned expat like this unless he has a really special skill that can be done independently.

Edited by Jingthing

You could go home and start working for a living.

doubtful anyone would even look at his resume dude.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

you dont need a resume to wash dishes

Why would a kitchen hire an old inexperienced man to wash dishes when there are young immigrant types (legal and illegal) who are as said younger, probably more experienced, and can't complain. That's for a job you can't live in. Get real ... there is no work for an overly seasoned expat like this unless he has a really special skill that can be done independently.

because the guy said GO HOME and start working. young people in the west dont want to wash dishes or mow lawns.

If you are 60+ years. And have not been working the last 10-15 years. And don't have any special skill or education. The chanses of getting a job is nearly zero.....

It's also very difficult to start again when you are that old and have not done any working for many years

Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 2

If you are 60+ years. And have not been working the last 10-15 years. And don't have any special skill or education. The chanses of getting a job is nearly zero.....

It's also very difficult to start again when you are that old and have not done any working for many years

not where I live. I could get him a job in 10 minutes if he was prepared to work.

• Like 1

Obviously. But people will still moralize "get a job" when that isn't even possible.

Obviously. But people will still moralize "get a job" when that isn't even possible.

yes it is. i could get anyone that wants to work a job in 10 minutes flat.

Sure thing, dude. That promise and 5 bucks will get you a "coffee" at Starbucks. Anyway, back to the real world ...

Sure thing, dude. That promise and 5 bucks will get you a "coffee" at Starbucks. Anyway, back to the real world ...

are you saying I'm lying?

• Like 1

10 minutes to get a real job? cheesy.gif

what's your definition of a real job?

A job that pays more than a few peanuts and isn't modern slavery. I would really be surprised if anyone could get a job this fast.

10 minutes to get a real job? cheesy.gif

what's your definition of a real job?

A job that pays more than a few peanuts and isn't modern slavery. I would really be surprised if anyone could get a job this fast.

peanuts is not a definition.

If you have a valid passport I find it strange that the embassy will not try to help you .

If they will not pay for your flight ticket to your home country so you can get some social security there and you do not have any friends left anywhere theres really not so many options left.

You could end up on the streets in Thailand as some other poor foreigners been doing for years or wait for deportation and hope for the best .