Update on 40 THB Large Leos.......

Thighlander

Born on 5 August, as of Wednesday night.....this is in response to the naysayers claiming that the promo beers are old. 5 for 199 THB, before 8 pm. every day. SIngha is the same price, but those are now in 500 ml bottles instead of the 630 ml you get with Leo. Absolutely no ice needed. Could not have been any colder (or they would have been frozen).

post-37570-0-28049200-1408106489_thumb.j

You just need to start on your promo before 8.......otherwise it is 4 for 210, until close, which is still cheaper than 7-11 and Tesco.

You mean after 8 a large Leo is 2,20 Baht more ?

Now that's a valid reason to become an alcoholic start early.

5 for 199 or 4 for 210.......39.80 vs. 52.50.......12.70 per beer difference....another product of the superior Euro-trash education system, I assume?

You just need to start on your promo before 8.......otherwise it is 4 for 210, until close, which is still cheaper than 7-11 and Tesco.

You mean after 8 a large Leo is 2,20 Baht more ?

Now that's a valid reason to become an alcoholic start early.

5 for 199 or 4 for 210.......39.80 vs. 52.50.......12.70 per beer difference....another product of the superior Euro-trash education system, I assume?

Ooops, you got me there, must have had 1 Leo too much, or was it 1 short facepalm.gif

• Like 2

Lat time I checked. the entire State of Minnesota sent one whole kid to Yale for that year. Minnesota doesn't have one school in Bloomberg's top 75 high schools in the US. Washington DC spends as much, if not more, than any state and is consistently at the bottom. But, since I know you have your stack of race cards in your hand, we won't even go into the demographic differences in Arizona, Minnesota, and DC.

It was also pointed out that you only need to be in the bar before 8, not finished with your promo by then to get the 5 for 199 price. You were at SOHO, anyway, so what difference does it make. Since you must have finished early with your date, why not give a sample Arizona HS Math exam a try. They actually make the Mexican American students score a 70% to get their HS Diploma.

https://www.ideal.azed.gov/samigo/jsf/delivery/beginTakingAssessment.faces

You've gotta love TV. Where else could you go from a sale on Thai beer to the number of students Minnesota sent to Yale in a year! In only 9 posts!!!!

That has to be a record.

True, but what I found interesting is that 3 of the 4 posts after the OP were critical, unfortunately not a record.

I reluctantly paid 110bt yesterday for a small leo in a very popular tourist attraction.

Glad I had some bucatini spaghetti to drink it through. Made it almost worth it.

I couldn't afford ice and I refrained from the 50bt hong nam charge.

It's really quite simple: You can go to Thai places full of Thai people and eat Thai food and drink Thai beer at Thai prices, or you can go to western places full of western people and eat western food and drink Thai or western beer at western prices. Then there are some hybird places, most notably along the river, but the prices tend to western levels.

It's nice to have options.

• Like 2

Overall, I agree, but then there is the freshness/coldness factor. It can vary widely in both the Thai and Western establishments. Went into a highly touted farang bar last year, and the beer was close to a year old. Then you have to look at issues like broken chairs, dirty toilets (or no toilet), and dirty glasses. Most of us will admit price does play into it. I found a place that meets all my criteria pretty well, been going there since it was a shack 8 years ago, and have watched it grow into a place suitable to bring someone you want to impress. AND THEY HAVE FRESH/CHEAP BEER! If anyone else has found such places; please share them with the forum.

Only slightly OT, but if Leo and Chang, maybe others, are brewed in T'land, why are these beers not widely available as draft beer? In China i could buy local made beer from kegs on the corner dispensed into liter sized plastic bags for very cheap. Entirely sensible, IMO. The cost of moving the bottle of beer in T'land outweighs the value of the brew itself.

Only slightly OT, but if Leo and Chang, maybe others, are brewed in T'land, why are these beers not widely available as draft beer? In China i could buy local made beer from kegs on the corner dispensed into liter sized plastic bags for very cheap. Entirely sensible, IMO. The cost of moving the bottle of beer in T'land outweighs the value of the brew itself.

I think it is too hot to use those systems like I saw in Cambodia, where the keg is kept at room temp, and it is chilled pretty cold as it is poured. They actually brew Heineken here, and used to brew Beck's......most don't like to run their refrigeration at night......draft is harder to account for......draft here is kind of like the way they operate swimming pools........I forgot to call the water guy, and just bought a bag of 1 liter bags of water...nice to have around, or take hiking, or give to the security guy on a hot day. Taxes and transport take a big cut out of a lot of things.

post-37570-0-21584400-1408189858_thumb.j

Edited by Thighlander

I think it is too hot to use those systems like I saw in Cambodia, where the keg is kept at room temp, and it is chilled pretty cold as it is poured. They actually brew Heineken here, and used to brew Beck's......most don't like to run their refrigeration at night......draft is harder to account for......draft here is kind of like the way they operate swimming pools........I forgot to call the water guy, and just bought a bag of 1 liter bags of water...nice to have around, or take hiking, or give to the security guy on a hot day. Taxes and transport take a big cut out of a lot of things.

You went all the way to Cambodia to get Chicken McNuggets? (Just kidding.) laugh.png

I wonder how they do it, because I understand that 40 Baht for a large Leo, is below wholesale price.

well the freshness issue has been ruled out. But, I've seen some of the deliveries....at least 25 cases at a time. Only Singha and Leo, too, so maybe they get something for that. I actually prefered the three large Tigers for 129thb, but that ended several years ago. Singles are 70 per bottle, and they've upped the food prices; but street food is welcome. Big Absolut sellers, too. Marlboros are 92 THB per pack, but I don't know how that stacks up. The girls sell syringe type vodka shots at 3 for 100.....the band starts at about 21:15, and for its free price; is excellent, and perfect volume level. Pretty much closes at Midnight. On the same soi as Grace Dental, about 200m east....farang seem to love Beer Republic....After payin' 40 down the street; I haven't even had the urge to check their prices, but it looks pretty nice.

checked out the place that this guy keeps spouting about,and ye hes right beer is cheap 3leo for buttons,but the place is so boring and devoid of atmosphere,i just drank one bootle and took the rset with me could not wait to get out of the place.

checked out the place that this guy keeps spouting about,and ye hes right beer is cheap 3leo for buttons,but the place is so boring and devoid of atmosphere,i just drank one bootle and took the rset with me could not wait to get out of the place.

must have been a different place, because it's 4 or 5 for the promos......but, yeah, atmosphere is a lot better at Mad Dog if you don't like Thai chicks, or heck go to John's and maybe Johnny Cash or Popeye will show up while your watching the grandmas play candy crush. I remember Cathy giving Johnny Cash he&& about not bathing.....that black outfit must be hot during the Summer. And then there's the CCR cd being played for the 40,000th time.

Dayli, like many other Thai restaurant bars, is not the kind of place where you go to mingle. It's the kind of place where you go with friends to talk, eat, drink, listen to music, etc. There are a some pub-type bars and discos around Nimmanhamin where you can mingle and meet people, but it's difficult if you don't speak Thai.

Can someone please clarify where this alleged place is?

I didn't see the last post, and I'm not sure on the where part reading this one.

I assume he's talking about Dayl; Nimmanhamin Soi 11 very close to Thanon Sirimangkhlachan (spelling?). Big open air place on north side of the soi.

There may be other places with 5 Leos for 199 baht before 8 p.m., if anyone knows of them please feel free to post a review.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

I didn't see the last post, and I'm not sure on the where part reading this one.

Off sirimangklajarn, a few metres up the right hand side of the Green hotel.

I was in a bar last week with a mate, and we both remarked that actually had a chatty pub atmosphere like my old days in England.

And the reason was very obvious; most folks were over 40 and not a phone in sight.

By contrast you go to the aforementioned babe bars, a group of friends arrive sit down and there is absolutely no social interaction with eachother, other than the group selfies and pathetic self preening.

Find me a bar with atmosphere, where phones are outlawed..

• Like 2

Off sirimangklajarn, a few metres up the right hand side of the Green hotel.

I was in a bar last week with a mate, and we both remarked that actually had a chatty pub atmosphere like my old days in England.

And the reason was very obvious; most folks were over 40 and not a phone in sight.

By contrast you go to the aforementioned babe bars, a group of friends arrive sit down and there is absolutely no social interaction with eachother, other than the group selfies and pathetic self preening.

Find me a bar with atmosphere, where phones are outlawed..

over 40,in nimmanhieman,lets face it the average age in that area,has to be close to 20 odd