best option for getting internet connection at home

davidst01

Im thinking of getting internet connected at my new rental house. Back in the nanny state that I come from, the telco's sell small device to plug into the usb of a laptop - to use internet anywhere on a pre paid basis. Do they have that sort of thing here in thailand?

Please advise the cheapest option to get if living in issan.

thanks

Sure...just get an Aircard (i.e., a USB modem that picks up 3G/2G services). Just check out your local AIS, DTAC, or True shops which sell them along with prepaid/postpaid packages. Visit the AIS/DTAC/True websites for more info.

There are various services offered in Thailand for Internet Service. If you are anything but a lite-to-moderate user then a wired service would be the best deal for someone based at fixed location. WiFi Hotspot service is a great deal if you're within range of service. Mobile Internet is easy but can get expensive as there are no 'unlimited' (uncapped) packages offered.

Wired

xDSL over telephone wire (adsl, sdsl, vdsl, etc) | 10/1mbps ฿599/mo and up

CABLE Broadband DOCSIS | 10/1mbps ฿599/mo and up

FTTx fiber optic | 15/1mbps ฿849/mo and up

Wireless

Mobile Edge | 64-384kbps, ssllooww but cheap

Mobile 3G/3G+/4G/LTE | costs from economical to astronomical with Edge speeds when Data Cap reached

Satellite (one way + telco, or two way) | [not recommended due to extreme latency]

WiFi Hotspot subscription | 10/10mbps ฿99/mo unlimited, or various timed subscriptions, must be within range

Wireless delivered Internet via fixed Point-to-Point radios | costs and speeds similar to DSL

• 2 weeks later...

I found out that with a smart phone just go to settings and enable the wifi sharing device. ie I have a HTC phone and once I enable that setting I can then log onto my laptop and connect to my mobiles wifi. Its as simple as that and no need to buy anything to plug into the usb etc.

I found out that with a smart phone just go to settings and enable the wifi sharing device. ie I have a HTC phone and once I enable that setting I can then log onto my laptop and connect to my mobiles wifi. Its as simple as that and no need to buy anything to plug into the usb etc.

Glad to hear you found a quick solution.

Mobile 3G "Tethering" and "Portable Hotspot" is very convenient, but not very economical, certainly NOT the 'cheapest option' you requested as I previously posted, "Mobile Internet is easy but can get expensive as there are no 'unlimited' (uncapped) packages offered."

It will work fine for the short term. Just how long 'short term' can last will be up to you.

You don't have much choice in "issan"

Either TOT (Crap) or True or 3BB.

You can't choose one, you have to use whatever available.

Prices start from 590 baht.

Don't compare them with 3G, 3G is not unlimited as they say.

Well that depends on your contract surely.

Well to clarify the 'unlimited' statement for all the 3G providers. It is unlimited, but 3G speed will only apply up to your package's 'fair use' clause, at which time you will be throttled back to somewhere in the 200kbps range.

If you are in any way into streaming video you can't get around the need for some flavor of wired connection previously described.

I use my 3G connection almost exclusively to listen to streaming radio every day while I'm driving and at the gym, probably around 3-4 hours a day. Even just with that, plus all the background syncing of emails etc I can clock up somewhere between 5-7GB a month. Stream a 1GB TV show or movie, and it's gone in a couple of days

• Like 1

Yeap...what GinBoy2 said. Unlimited means "yes, you have an unlimited amount of mobile data usage per month but only a certain amount like maybe 1.5GB (just for example) will be provided at full speed...once you exceed 1.5GB your speed will be throttled down to the 64Kb to 384Kb range until the start of you next billing month." You need to find out the fair usage/full speed amount per month allowed by your mobile plan....the amount varies from carrier to carrier, plan to plan, there is no standard amount.

Like my DTAC postpaid plan comes with 1.5GB monthly mobile data allotment and after than monthly 1.5GB allotment is used the speed is throttled to 384KB until the start of the next billing month. So, if I used my entire 1.5GB allottment on day 1 of my monthly plan, I would still have unlimited usage for days 2 thru 30 but only at a speed of 384KB.

You can burn through 1.5GB pretty fast depending on the sites you surf to, what you download, whether you are surfing on your smartphone or doing the Hotspot connection thing to your computer, etc. And keep in mind a webpage displayed for a computer screen uses many more bytes than a webpage displayed for a smartphone/tablet.

• Like 1

And keep in mind a webpage displayed for a computer screen uses many more bytes than a webpage displayed for a smartphone/tablet.

That's why Browsers like Opera Mini are so good, they compress every page on their servers where possible. Assuming you aren't too worried about privacy.

Edited by Chicog

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any decent VSAT (Satellite) ISP's in Korat? I'm fed up using my mobile phone to access emails etc, when the village I'm in only gets 3G in certain parts, so looking to get a proper system put in.

I'm about 45 minutes from Korat itself, between Chok Chai and Khonburi, 3G is pants in our house, I have to go and stand outside to try an pick up 3G..

I've heard you can get a VSAT dish set up for about 10,000 baht, and thereafter it's down to what you want in terms of bandwidth, we don't have a landline system here either, so a DNS isn't ideal.

Thanks

Are there any decent VSAT (Satellite) ISP's in Korat? I'm fed up using my mobile phone to access emails etc, when the village I'm in only gets 3G in certain parts, so looking to get a proper system put in.

I'm about 45 minutes from Korat itself, between Chok Chai and Khonburi, 3G is pants in our house, I have to go and stand outside to try an pick up 3G..

I've heard you can get a VSAT dish set up for about 10,000 baht, and thereafter it's down to what you want in terms of bandwidth, we don't have a landline system here either, so a DNS isn't ideal.

Thanks

You'd have a lot of latency (delay) and other issues with Satellite Internet.

You would do better to ask if AIS:AirNet / TOT:WiNet is offered in your area (Internet via Point-to-Point Radio Link)

Or, buy a 3G Internet Device that can connect to an external antenna (preferably out-door hi-gain directional)

• Like 1

AIS:AirNet or TOT:WiNet are offered through their respective companies. If your location/area doesn't qualify then improving your 3G Internet would be your better option.

One option would be to purchase a 3G Repeater 'system' (transceiver + Arial Antenna) that would rebroadcast the signal received from a wired outdoor 3G antenna.

A Second option would be to purchase a 3G to WiFi package (sometimes a WiFi Router + 3G 'Stick" + External 3G wired outdoor Yagi or square 'Patch' antenna) that allows multiple WiFi users to access a mobile 3G Internet Access account.

Many, many vendors in Bangkok, but you might be able to ask the larger Mobile Phone Shops or even Satellite-receiver Dealers if they know who sells them. Either option can be purchased online if you are willing to put it up yourself.

Rich, thanks a million mate, I've got some good info now to chase up, 100M down the road gets 3G, hell even 5 M from the front door gets me 3G, but damned if I can get it inside the house!!.. I'm home again in a couple of weeks, I'll go and speak to AIS and see what they an offer me, my wifes too scared to do it incase she comes home with a dress and new shoes instead!! lol

If AIS doesn't get what you're on about, come back here and create a new thread asking for details on either setting up a 3G Repeater or a WiFi 3G Router with external antenna.

Many people on the forum have permanent installations or have done them on their own. Putting an antenna on a pole should easily get you working 3G Internet coverage.

I would still suggest looking into WiNet or AirNet (non-3G, Hi-speed Wireless Internet) as an option for getting Internet, as those 3G Data Access fees to tend to get up there pretty quick.

The Options:

-font-b-3G-b-font-UMTS-WCDMA-2100Mhz-fon

3GRouter_300M.jpgpl687457-usb_huawei_wifi_router_e5331_3g

img_7372.jpg

Just make sure that whatever solution you choose includes an OUTDOOR ANTENNA to capture those signals.