Nine students injured by self- accelerated car: Samut Songkram

webfact

The driver does not know how to turn off the ignition?

I had a stuck accelerator pedal once while driving and killed the engine by turning off the ignition (via the key) and then cruised to a stop by the side of the road.

I think my Suzuki was designed by Microsoft.

To stop the engine I press the "Start" button. whistling.gif

That thought occurred to me as well. I looked at a new car recently with no key-operated ignition. (Proximity remote to enable, push start button).

To stop the engine you had to hold down the start button for 5 seconds.... That's a looonngg time in an emergency. While I don't think that's the case here (I can't see the model of car clearly), people should think about the above when making buying decisions - it certainly made me keep looking for a car with a better emergency stop system.

I haven't needed to do that for probably 15 years or so - but once you have to do it, it sticks in your memory.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The driver does not know how to turn off the ignition?

I had a stuck accelerator pedal once while driving and killed the engine by turning off the ignition (via the key) and then cruised to a stop by the side of the road.

I think my Suzuki was designed by Microsoft.

To stop the engine I press the "Start" button. whistling.gif

That thought occurred to me as well. I looked at a new car recently with no key-operated ignition. (Proximity remote to enable, push start button).

To stop the engine you had to hold down the start button for 5 seconds.... That's a looonngg time in an emergency. While I don't think that's the case here (I can't see the model of car clearly), people should think about the above when making buying decisions - it certainly made me keep looking for a car with a better emergency stop system.

I haven't needed to do that for probably 15 years or so - but once you have to do it, it sticks in your memory.

Next time I'm back in Oz, I must have a look at the same model Suzuki and see what it has. I know for sure that this model back home has more than 1 airbag, and has the heating connected so you can demist the windscreen on those few cooler weeks, or if the rain is cold and the inside mists up. Not so here. Cost is the same in both countries.

• 2 weeks later...