living in a thai area vs living in a falang area.

silomplaya

Found a bungalow for 3000 baht a month its in a thai ghetto where a thai friend lives , has anybody else lived like this before ???

Oh sorry for not living up to " quality tourists " standards and not conforming to the hi-so bkk upper class expatriate way of life.

• Like 1

You should rephrase your statement ,

How about living up to the backpacker lifestyle in Bangkok?

One step at a time OP , dont shoot to high to start

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I believe you may not be welcome there as they will look at you strangely as why a Farang is staying there, that if your talking about the kind of place that is run down Thai style reserved for the lower class low paid workers.

Not sure where you're at, but all things being equal, I say go for it! Worst case scenario, you move again. I've lived out in the country for 10 years without a farang in a 5 km radius. Love it!

But still crave to converse with foreigners on the internet though I see :-)

How can you have a Thai ghetto in Thailand?

A place where Thai live?

A place where ordinary poor Thai live?

A ghetto is a part of a city in which members of a minority group live, especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure.[1] The term was originally used in Venice to describe the part of the city to which Jews were restricted and segregated.
  • Like 1

A place where Thai live?

A ghetto is a part of a city in which members of a minority group live, especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure.[1] The term was originally used in Venice to describe the part of the city to which Jews were restricted and segregated.

I know many ghettos in Bangkok, where foreigners live!

A place where Thai live?

There are thousands of ghekkos where i live.w00t.gif

• Like 2

Not sure where you're at, but all things being equal, I say go for it! Worst case scenario, you move again. I've lived out in the country for 10 years without a farang in a 5 km radius. Love it!

But still crave to converse with foreigners on the internet though I see :-)

Just joined Thai Visa for first time 28 days ago. If this is a craving it's been long suppressed, I trust you'll agree.

• Like 1

I believe you may not be welcome there as they will look at you strangely as why a Farang is staying there, that if your talking about the kind of place that is run down Thai style reserved for the lower class low paid workers.

Hogwash. Some of you care way too much what thai people think.

Op will be very welcome -he is one of them poor thais......................lol. no offense to the thais.

It may be better than living with farang.

My recent trips I've encountered a number of grumpy old farang. Appear to get steadily worse 50s, 60s, 70s. I hope next trip it will be different.

yeh thailand has its fair share of farang grumble bums,

Proof man cant be happy till hes dead when you see a 68 year pensioner with a 21 year old stunner, baht overflowing from his wallet , kasakorn account with 6 figures, condo on the beach and hes still a red faced alchoholic with his head down grumbling bout this and that looking miserable.

What's the point with your statement OP??

It all depends of your situation. I got a family with a 5 year old kid, so I prefer my fairly upscale house in a fairly upscale village, thank you very much.

The 100 or so houses have perhaps 30-40% mixed couples and the rest are Thai couples, they are all very nice people (+90%), no violent/drug addictive losers here.

Well not entirely true, there was this Thai man married to a Russian lady, man when they got drunk, it turned pretty nasty at times and the police were called often.

Sad for the kids man, it really was (is). Don't know where they are now but hope they are okay, especially the kids.

They were tenants and I felt sorry for the owner too, they had to spend more fixing the place than the deposit covered, it was trashed.

No I am not looking down on anybody, you lay in the bed as you make it and I have also been living cheap before I settled down, nothing wrong with that, it's more represent a certain period of your life/time in your current situation.

Any village/condo in the greater Pattaya area will have a certain degree of mixed occupants in them, very cheap and further away from downtown= maybe not so many expats and then it will increase the closer you get to the city center.

I spent roughly 3 years in an area where I was the only white face. All the houses in the streets around me were filled with Thai people. I never had a problem with the people around the area at all. My rent was 3,000 Baht a month for a 3 bed house. No druggies, no aggro.

If the house is good, go for it, OP.

• Like 1

A place where Thai live?

you do realize you are talking to yourself right?

and not doing terribly well at it.

• Like 1

@ OP

All depends on what you want and your comfort zone and how you behave.

Out of curiosity I did not know there is a "Falang" area in Thailand, Where is that specifically? Is it quarantined and in a gated community? biggrin.png

FWIIW, I would take a Thai mooban over a "Falang" Mooban any day. Typically I have found that most(Not all) foreigners are generally pretty grumpy, some are down right rude and others think they own the place and will shunt you. Plus I have found over my years foreigners tend to complain a helluva a lot about everything.

Good Luck.

I spent roughly 3 years in an area where I was the only white face. All the houses in the streets around me were filled with Thai people. I never had a problem with the people around the area at all. My rent was 3,000 Baht a month for a 3 bed house. No druggies, no aggro.

If the house is good, go for it, OP.

3,000 baht for a 3 bedroom house? Where are you people? I want to move there now.