US senators urge arms for Ukraine

webfact

Ukraine crisis: US senators urge arms 'to fight Russia'

WASHINGTON: -- Leading American senators have called for the US to send weapons to help Ukraine fight what they say is "a Russian invasion".

Robert Menendez, head of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said Russia's President Vladimir Putin must face a cost for his "aggression".

Senator John McCain said: "This is not an incursion. This is an invasion."

Earlier, Mr Putin called for talks to discuss the matter of "statehood" for eastern Ukraine.

The conflict in eastern Ukraine erupted in April following Russia's annexation of Ukraine's southern Crimea peninsula a month before. Some 2,600 people have died since April.

Pro-Russian separatists have been gaining ground on Ukrainian forces in recent days, in both the Luhansk and Donetsk regions, and further south around the port of Mariupol.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29007631

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-01

John McCain has been photographed with terrorists in Syria. He urged us to arm them to fight Assad, now it turns out they were ISIS. Mind your own business USA. Russia has invaded no one. You have invaded over 50 countries since WWII.

Russia has troops and equipment inside Ukraine and has been firing shells across the border for some time. Plus, ask the citizens of Crimea who their new boss is. Use to be Kiev. It's now Moscow. I'd call that an invasion.

With that being said, I hope the US stays out of this. It's a European problem. Not a US problem.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/28/6079967/nato-satellite-images-show-russian-forces-in-ukraine

NATO is releasing satellite imagery today that it says depicts Russian troops engaging in military operations within Ukraine. Russia has slowly been encroaching on Ukraine since earlier this year, and its actions are increasingly beginning to look like an invasion — even if no one is willing to say it. "Over the past two weeks we have noted a significant escalation in both the level and sophistication of Russia’s military interference in Ukraine," brigadier general Nico Tak, of NATO's crisis center, says in a statement. "The satellite images released today provide additional evidence that Russian combat soldiers, equipped with sophisticated heavy weaponry, are operating inside Ukraine’s sovereign territory."

Tak says that NATO has seen Russia giving large quantities of "advanced weapons," such as tanks and air defense systems, to separatist forces in Eastern Ukraine, and he calls the situation "increasingly grave." NATO believes that the images show that Russia is attempting to destabilize Ukraine by supplying the separatists and extending the length of the conflict they've been in. Obama, too, agrees that these images show that Russia is behind the violence. "The new images of soldiers inside Ukraine make that plain," he said at a press conference this afternoon.

I would support the idea of supplying arms to Ukraine. Boots on the ground is another thing, and I don't think that the senate is going to stomach the idea of sending soldiers abroad especially with elections coming in November. Between Russia and the Ukraine, and Isis in Syria/Iraq, we are more so than normal on the road to World War III.

• Like 1

I would support the idea of supplying arms to Ukraine. Boots on the ground is another thing, and I don't think that the senate is going to stomach the idea of sending soldiers abroad especially with elections coming in November. Between Russia and the Ukraine, and Isis in Syria/Iraq, we are more so than normal on the road to World War III.

Agree. I was thinking absolute the same. If this Putin don't back off, it can be a new ww3. I know it's sounds like a drama queen. I don't think this man will stop before some people tell him to back off. Sometimes talking it's not working on a man like him

• Like 1

Putin is nothing but a bully.....if the US had a real President Putin would sit in a corner with his mouth shut

Exactly right. Putin can not help but take advantage of a weak president while he has the chance. This is the perfect opportunity to achieve his dream of restoring, what he sees as, Russian glory. I'm afraid that China, Iran and others of their ilk are going to do the same.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

John McCain has been photographed with terrorists in Syria. He urged us to arm them to fight Assad, now it turns out they were ISIS. Mind your own business USA. Russia has invaded no one. You have invaded over 50 countries since WWII.

Russia has troops and equipment inside Ukraine and has been firing shells across the border for some time. Plus, ask the citizens of Crimea who their new boss is. Use to be Kiev. It's now Moscow. I'd call that an invasion.

With that being said, I hope the US stays out of this. It's a European problem. Not a US problem.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/28/6079967/nato-satellite-images-show-russian-forces-in-ukraine

NATO is releasing satellite imagery today that it says depicts Russian troops engaging in military operations within Ukraine. Russia has slowly been encroaching on Ukraine since earlier this year, and its actions are increasingly beginning to look like an invasion — even if no one is willing to say it. "Over the past two weeks we have noted a significant escalation in both the level and sophistication of Russia’s military interference in Ukraine," brigadier general Nico Tak, of NATO's crisis center, says in a statement. "The satellite images released today provide additional evidence that Russian combat soldiers, equipped with sophisticated heavy weaponry, are operating inside Ukraine’s sovereign territory."

Tak says that NATO has seen Russia giving large quantities of "advanced weapons," such as tanks and air defense systems, to separatist forces in Eastern Ukraine, and he calls the situation "increasingly grave." NATO believes that the images show that Russia is attempting to destabilize Ukraine by supplying the separatists and extending the length of the conflict they've been in. Obama, too, agrees that these images show that Russia is behind the violence. "The new images of soldiers inside Ukraine make that plain," he said at a press conference this afternoon.

Really? what was the date of the invasion into Crimea? how many died in this invasion? What is the difference between the Scotland referendum and the Crimean? there is a legal right for self-determination. Russians are reported to be in Ukraine every day. No credible proof. What happened to evidence of MH17 black boxes?

• Like 1

Hmm...I went to work in a small country called Georgia in September 2008, I guess there was no invasion by Russia in August 2008? Get your facts straight. Crimea had the same impact as an invasion as Ukraine could not do anything without international support. You ask "what is the difference between Scotland and Crimea?" Well, I would guess that the Scottish vote won't be fixed and it is being done properly, not influence by the big bully (Russia) rigging the vote.

And, you don't believe there are Russians helping the Ukrainian separatists? That there are plenty of Russian troups in Ukraine? Plenty of evidence has been presented....

And, you bring MH17 into this? You have a doubt about who shot it down? You sound like 80-90% of the Russian population.

Edited by yaquinto

Really? what was the date of the invasion into Crimea? how many died in this invasion? What is the difference between the Scotland referendum and the Crimean? there is a legal right for self-determination. Russians are reported to be in Ukraine every day. No credible proof. What happened to evidence of MH17 black boxes?

I would say the date of the invasion was February 27, 2014. When Russian troops entered the sovereign territory of Ukraine. Just a bit against international laws, something Putin obviously doesn't care about. And absolutely nothing like the current Scotland referendum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_2014_Crimean_crisis

The 2014 Crimean crisis was a conflict unfolding in the region of Crimea, Ukraine that began in the aftermath of the 2014 Ukrainian revolution. President Viktor Yanukovych was deposed in the 2014 Ukrainian revolution. Russia sent in soldiers on February 27, 2014 and seized control of Crimea. Crimea held a referendum. According to Russian and Crimean sources 95% voted to reunite with Russia. The legitimacy of the referendum has been questioned by the international community on both legal and procedural grounds.

But an excellent question on the black box. I found this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28808832

Wim van der Wegen from the Dutch Safety Board says they already have enough to prepare a preliminary report. "We are using the voice recorder, the black box flight data recorder, satellite images, information from air traffic control and photos taken by people who were able to visit crash site."

They expect to publish the preliminary report within two weeks. It will not attribute blame or liability.

I fully admit our faults and shortcomings, however, it is our business when we feel there is something we can do to help in some cases. The Russian people, who suffered greatly at the hands of the Nazis should know full well that U.S. Assistance in fighting the Germans was critical to their own efforts in WW II. Yes, too often we have invaded IMHO, on the other hand ......

I would say the date of the invasion was February 27, 2014. When Russian troops entered the sovereign territory of Ukraine. Just a bit against international laws, something Putin obviously doesn't care about. And absolutely nothing like the current Scotland referendum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_2014_Crimean_crisis

The 2014 Crimean crisis was a conflict unfolding in the region of Crimea, Ukraine that began in the aftermath of the 2014 Ukrainian revolution. President Viktor Yanukovych was deposed in the 2014 Ukrainian revolution. Russia sent in soldiers on February 27, 2014 and seized control of Crimea. Crimea held a referendum. According to Russian and Crimean sources 95% voted to reunite with Russia. The legitimacy of the referendum has been questioned by the international community on both legal and procedural grounds.

But an excellent question on the black box. I found this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28808832

Wim van der Wegen from the Dutch Safety Board says they already have enough to prepare a preliminary report. "We are using the voice recorder, the black box flight data recorder, satellite images, information from air traffic control and photos taken by people who were able to visit crash site."

They expect to publish the preliminary report within two weeks. It will not attribute blame or liability.

Within 2 weeks? that was dated on 17th. "Ukraine, the Netherlands, Australia and Belgium are conspiring to keep all information regarding the MH17 investigation classified, a leaked document reveals" http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/564116/20140827/mh17-investigation-update-conspiracy.htm#.VAQI1vmSxqU

"War is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of the people. Only a small 'inside' group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few, at the expense of the very many. Out of war a few people make huge fortunes."

- Smedley D. Butler: United States Marine Corps Major General and two time Medal of Honor recipient

Come on Wall Street dont' move slow

Why man this war's a dollar zone

there's money, good money to be made

by supplying the army with the tools of the trade

Just hope like crazy when they drop the bomb

They drop it on the Viet Cong

Well it's '1, 2, 3, what are we fighting for?

Don't ask me, I don't give a damn, next stop is Viet Nam.

And it's 5, 6, 7, open up the pearly gates.

Well there ain't no time to wonder why

Whoopeee, we're all going to die.

-Country Joe and the Fish: I Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die Rag

Almost 50 years later and there's nothing new to see here. Move along...

• Like 1

Putin is nothing but a bully.....if the US had a real President Putin would sit in a corner with his mouth shut

Exactly right. Putin can not help but take advantage of a weak president while he has the chance. This is the perfect opportunity to achieve his dream of restoring, what he sees as, Russian glory. I'm afraid that China, Iran and others of their ilk are going to do the same.

Yeah and who knows, Canada might be next.

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I'd tend to agree with you. 60 years ago a military machine armed to the teeth didn't descend on Washington, DC, New York City, and other major cities in the US at the cost of literally millions of lives as a direct result of armed conflict, and indirectly by the effects of a Russian winter without adequate food and shelter. If they had, it would have had a bit more of a lasting impression on the psyches of the individuals making up our nation.

America had rationing and War Bond drives. Kid's in school in the US nowadays don't have a clue about history, nor current events that aren't propagandize to the hilt. Neither do their teachers, or probably their teachers before them. Dumbed down, fat, and happy. Perfect citizens.

Oh these kids today!

The end of civilization as you knew it. cheesy.gif

Today's children are tomorrows leaders. Keep laughing Pubicus.

Edited by connda

Ukraine politicians speak about extinguish Russians in Ukraine and banning Russian language.

Killing the Russian minority and USA expects that Russia is doing nothing?

USA should force Ukraine to hold peace talks. Guarantee minority rights to the Russians and an own state. +Ukraine declare itself neutral and promise not to put missile on their grounds and everyone is happy.

• Like 2

I still have not seen real images and everybody knows that the usa is extremely good with photoshop. They proved that with the wmd presentation about iraq.

• Like 1

New York Times calls for full-scale war in Ukrainesad.png

No question, this path involves enormous risks. Russia will throw its might into Ukraine. American and British special forces should be dispatched to plant the flag and protect the airports of Kiev and Odessa. But Mr. Putin may call our bluff: Russian forces might — in an echo of the 1999 Kosovo war — encircle them.

But if we are not prepared to take these risks, then we must force the Ukrainians to abandon their deadly delusion. It would be up to us to prevent Russia from slaughtering Ukrainian conscripts in vain.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/01/opinion/arm-ukraine-or-surrender.html?_r=1

I don't know where some people are comming from, but there are a lot of war mongers on this form.

But these people are probebly the same you meet in a farang bar, claiming they are ex special forces.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Ukraine politicians speak about extinguish Russians in Ukraine and banning Russian language.

Killing the Russian minority and USA expects that Russia is doing nothing?

USA should force Ukraine to hold peace talks. Guarantee minority rights to the Russians and an own state. +Ukraine declare itself neutral and promise not to put missile on their grounds and everyone is happy.

Should do the same thing with other area not that far away.