Sharing True Adsl

psychosid10

I am using TRUE ADSL connection on my win xp sp2 machine. I want to share this connection with my notebook (also win xp sp2) .. i tried connecting the machines using a LAN cable, enabled windows ICS ,right clicked on true connection and enabled sharing.. but somehow the network connection on both the machines displays network cable unplugged.. Please guide !

Cheers

Sid

I am using TRUE ADSL connection on my win xp sp2 machine. I want to share this connection with my notebook (also win xp sp2) .. i tried connecting the machines using a LAN cable, enabled windows ICS ,right clicked on true connection and enabled sharing.. but somehow the network connection on both the machines displays network cable unplugged.. Please guide !

Cheers

Sid

If you are plugging a UTP cable from one computer into another computer network port (RJ45) you can not use a standard (straight through) cable but need a crossed cable to reverse the XMT and RCV lines. A shop should be able to make one for you or have one off the shelf.

Cheers

Sid

If you are plugging a UTP cable from one computer into another computer network port (RJ45) you can not use a standard (straight through) cable but need a crossed cable to reverse the XMT and RCV lines. A shop should be able to make one for you or have one off the shelf.

Dear Sid,

I setup the sharing a while back and have now forgotten how to do it and it's not used anyway. Part of the problem was not recognising the correct cable and then finding that cables I had were not working.

For the computer side the Microsoft Knowledge base article 306126 was helpful. If you want me to send it to you just say.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

I have an old Windows 98 machine connected to a Windows XP machine, and it shares the Windows XP's ADSL connection with Maxnet, along with files and printer. Just like Tywais said, you need the RJ45 crossover cable, assuming you are connecting the two computers through your ethernet ports. Basically the stores mark them as either "computer to computer" or "computer to router", and you need to buy the computer to computer one.

Or you enjoy wireless with your laptop....

get a combined ADSL modem and wireless router (zyxel is one brand that works fine with true) - conect it via ethernet to your desktop and setup the ADSL connection, then setup your wireless and you can share internet over as many wi-fi devices as you like....