Thai dentists and local anaesthetic

sipi

I have attended 8 or 9 dentists in Thailand over the last 30 years for minor work (fillings etc); and never been given, or offered a local anaesthetic. Even after asking for one from dentists that speak perfect English, they just smile and start drilling away. Last visit I had 16 fillings over 2 hours, and fell asleep in the chair. From my experience with dentists in most Western countries, they give you a needle the minute you sit in the chair; to my relief. I know a lots of these lovely (mainly female) dentists are trained in Chiang Mai. Is their training different? What are your experiences?

If you felt asleep you obviously didn't need an anesthetic.

16 fillings is a lot.....I think I didn't get 16 fillings in my 43 years

Strictly speaking what determines whether you need anesthetic is relative to how deep they need to drill to do the filling, one the suspects said dentists have looked at the x-rays and decided they dont need to drill deep enough for you to need a "local"

I have had fillings in Thailand with an without anesthetic and in all cases the dentist has told me where I would or wouldnt need a "needle"

I guess in the western world there is an expectation from the patient walking in the door that a local is needed in all cases, that why they give it to you straight away, as suspect if they didnt in the UK, a patient would be trying to sue the dentist for PTSD during the treatment

• Like 2

Strictly speaking what determines whether you need anesthetic is relative to how deep they need to drill to do the filling, one the suspects said dentists have looked at the x-rays and decided they dont need to drill deep enough for you to need a "local"

I have had fillings in Thailand with an without anesthetic and in all cases the dentist has told me where I would or wouldnt need a "needle"

I guess in the western world there is an expectation from the patient walking in the door that a local is needed in all cases, that why they give it to you straight away, as suspect if they didnt in the UK, a patient would be trying to sue the dentist for PTSD during the treatment

Thanks. So basically their training is the same as the UK? I still think I will stick with Thai dentists.

I haven't needed a filling in 30 years or more but when I have my teeth scaled and cleaned I do like them to do it properly, and in my mouth that means that injections are obligatory. Trying to do it without injections would be impossible. And because I am also fairly resistant to the anaesthetic they need to use a lot of it for it to work.

When I used to have this done in Europe there was never any trouble getting the dentist to inject, in fact they insisted on it, but here it is a real struggle. "We dont need to inject because we do it gently" they say here, completely missing the point that I dont want it done gently; I want it done hard as only a hard scrape and clean is worth doing. But in order to do it hard they need to use anaesthetic. Sadly, even when they finally do use it, they rarely do what I would call a proper clean and scale.

One thing I do wonder: maybe the Asian gum is genetically less sensitive and so they don't need to use injections for this reason?

• Like 1

My take on Thai medicine is that is like pulling teeth (no pun intended) to get anyone to prescribe pain medication. Like even after surgery or after a broken bone, the heaviest pain medication they would give in Thailand is paracetamol. Contrast with the U.S. where pretty much they give out oxycodone like candy. I think there are some medical regulations in Thailand which hinders giving out anesthesia or pain medication.

• Like 1

Really?

In Austria you get almost everything done without....That it hurts is part of the game. locals only for root treatments. Only in the last few years that changed.

Last fillings in Thailand (many years ago) I refused the anesthetics....why inject some chemicals for just a little pain and in fact there was very little.

Never get anaesthesia except for root treatment and crone. Why you need for anyway? Because you are scared of dentist like when you were 5 years old?

Previous post said he needs anesthesia for cleaning. My god, grow up dude! Yes it s not comfortable, feel cold, whatever, but you certainly don't need to get poison in your mouth.

In Europe they want make lot of easy money.... 50 bucks in 2 minutes.... These Dentists drive Bentley, Ferrari, jaguar! Guess who pay for it?

Edited by Digitalnomade
  • Like 1

Maybe a few reasons. Thai people pay minimum for dental and dentist is used to cutting costs. More important. Thai dentist is very dexterous. We weave a lot by generation, and making things by hand. I think Thai dentist knows what she doing. Just relax, and sleep.

• Like 1

In Austria you get almost everything done without....That it hurts is part of the game. locals only for root treatments. Only in the last few years that changed.

Was your dentist in "Marathon Man"?

marathon_man_dental_scene_dustin_ho.jpg

Actually I had pretty horrible experiences.....When I was a child I guess my dentist was a KZ dentist before (judging from the treatment)...I got a few root treatments without anesthetic. Because my mother got big problems with some anesthetics (could have died) and the doc decided that it is safer to not try it on me. Long time ago and past.....This dentist made also some other bad mistakes without telling me (or my mother).....

Edited by h90

Count yourself lucky then. I had fillings all my life till they needed a root canal, and then because I didn't have crowns some needed fillings again.

I very rarely had a local though. Always refused for a normal filling.

However, I like it that they always give a topical pre injection when I do need an anaesthetic. In the west they just stick the needle in.

Actually I had pretty horrible experiences.....When I was a child I guess my dentist was a KZ dentist before (judging from the treatment)...I got a few root treatments without anesthetic. Because my mother got big problems with some anesthetics (could have died) and the doc decided that it is safer to not try it on me. Long time ago and past.....This dentist made also some other bad mistakes without telling me (or my mother).....

NO WAY I could have had a root canal without anaesthetic. What did they do- strap you down? What about NO2?

NO WAY I could have had a root canal without anaesthetic. What did they do- strap you down? What about NO2?

It was when I was young...now I am 43 and I am still afraid of dentists and start sweating at a normal dental cleaning. And I am not the scared, anxious person. But something in my brain is now wired in "fight or flee" when I see the lovely small female Chinese-Thai dentist.....

I have never had a problem with this. With all the dental work I have had done (other than routine cleaning) there has always been a discussion, initiated by the dentist, about whether or not a local was needed. Sometimes they decided right off the bat that it was, other times told me they thought it would not be needed but to let them know. Never had a problem getting them to stop and give it if I felt the need.

I use the Dental Hosp on Soi 49 Sukhumvit BTW. May make a difference.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe all the replies saying no local for drilling. I always get topical (usually xylocaine spray), local (Novocaine) and sometimes I still feel the heat from the friction of the drill against my already sensitive tooth, so they have to inject me again. Any dentist that refuses to pump me full of anesthetics isn't getting my business.

• Like 1

I can't believe all the replies saying no local for drilling. I always get topical (usually xylocaine spray), local (Novocaine) and sometimes I still feel the heat from the friction of the drill against my already sensitive tooth, so they have to inject me again. Any dentist that refuses to pump me full of anesthetics isn't getting my business.

Well on small problems drilling doesn't hurt me if they care careful. I hate the drilling and I scared but there is no reason for a local (for me).

As well I hate the felling of the local, being unable to feel my lips or speak clear sometimes.

I hate the injections. Am I the only one? I feel like my one side of my face is paralyzed. I can't speak properly for 36 hours. I still feel like my tongue hasn't recovered since the injection last week. Once I seriously thought I'd had a stroke when I couldn't feel the side of my face or speak properly the next day after an injection for a dental procedure here. Why are they so quick to shove a needle into your gums?

I've finally had to convince my sweet, cute, dentist that I'm a tough old bird who would much rather suck it up for a few minutes instead of coming back to see her the day after a dental procedure to complain about how my eyelid is drooping and I can't speak.