Back-up Parking. WHY?

bkksteve123

I see it everywhere in Thailand. Shopping malls, condo parking-lots etc. Thais always back-up (reverse) to a parking spot.

It's quite ironic considering that this country, and especially its roads/traffic, are chaotic. But the one thing the Thais seemingly have come to agree on is how to park a car. Unfortunately (in my opinion) they chose the wrong way.

I really see no point in reversing into a parking spot. In fact, to me it makes much more sense to go head in and back out.

1) It's easier/faster to go head in AND it's easier to back out into a large parking lot than to back INTO a small parking-space.

2) Access to trunk. If you're at a shopping mall it's very likely that you want access to your trunk. This will be much easier if you go head in. You can simply open your trunk when you approach the vehicle, put your bags in the trunk, and reverse out.

I'm from Europe and while you do see the occasional back-up parking (which they teach you in driving school) for practical reasons people mostly go head in.

Can anyone tell me if this type of parking is common in other countries and why?

• Like 2

Hell....reversing out into oncoming inexperienced drivers who stop and cant figure out to back up for you, about a car length,(or wont) is probably more likely to cause a scratch and dent than anything i can imagine.....But my missus reverses in so i just get out and have a cigarette while she does it....she prefers to drive out also....

I generally just drive straight into a parking space and reverse out.

You're right though, they all do it - even in malls where the car would be backed up to a wall - I have no idea how they get the shopping into the boot.

When shopping I roll the trolley over to the back of my car, open the boot and load it up. I buy between 4 to 6 packs of 6x1.5L bottled water each time I go, I lift it out of the trolley and drop it straight into the boot of the car.

Before reversing out I take a quick look to see if anything's coming.

I completely ignore the idiots with the whistles, I have no idea what they're meant to be doing - they seem to keep blowing the whistle no matter what's happening around you.

• Like 1

Because it's easier to drive straight out when it's time to leave rather than wait for some bugger to let you to reverse out which they will normally only do if they want your space. Anyone in Phuket that goes to Central over the weekend will know exactly what I mean.

SDM

Reversing in to a parking space when shopping is a better idea in my view.

Having had my car reversed in to, by some women parked in the opposite parking bay in a Tesco's car park....I would disagree with the OP slightly, as shopping can block the make up mirror.

Edited by Amusements

this is one thing the Thais do correctly and well IMO.

no not really, look at the lines they are supposed to be between and in the middle of. Most cant even park between the lines let alone so they leave room either side of their car, they have never been taught to do so. Overseas to get a licence you must be able to reverse park/parallel park between 2 cars and reverse in a straight line over a set distance, here they dont even have to drive in traffic let alone park a car properly to pass their test.

I watched a lady try 5 plus times to reverse park her car between 2 lines and kept failing, there were no other cars anywhere near her and she eventually got the parking attendant to do it, they are hopeless. The only reason they reverse park originally is because they know they will not be able to reverse out later on so they take several goes at doing it the first time.

• Like 1

Reverse parking in Thailand is by far superior to forward parking. As long as you keep checking both mirrors while reversing it is impossible to hit a car parked on either side of the free parking space, whereas going in front first you are relying simply on your feel and since the lanes are small if there is a free space to your left you will often end up in awkward positions trying to make a left turn into the space.

And then exiting the parking space it is much easier and safer to pull out then to reverse out. Loading the boot away from traffic is also safer.

• Like 1

this is one thing the Thais do correctly and well IMO.

no not really, look at the lines they are supposed to be between and in the middle of. Most cant even park between the lines let alone so they leave room either side of their car, they have never been taught to do so. Overseas to get a licence you must be able to reverse park/parallel park between 2 cars and reverse in a straight line over a set distance, here they dont even have to drive in traffic let alone park a car properly to pass their test.

I watched a lady try 5 plus times to reverse park her car between 2 lines and kept failing, there were no other cars anywhere near her and she eventually got the parking attendant to do it, they are hopeless. The only reason they reverse park originally is because they know they will not be able to reverse out later on so they take several goes at doing it the first time.

Overseas to get a licence you must be able to reverse park/parallel park between 2 cars and reverse in a straight line over a set distance, here they dont even have to drive in traffic let alone park a car properly to pass their test.

This is incorrect. Reversing and parallel parking are part of the Thai driving test.

Considering the the crap quality of batteries in Thailand that die without warning and need replaced every two years, it makes it much easier to jump start the car with cables.

In always wondered about that and whether it's the weather conditions or the quality of the battery. At home I get five years but as you say here me, and most of my pals, only get one or two.

SDM

If you really wish to have pleasant stay in LOS, throw the "Why" question out the window. They do it, accept that and move on.

The best advice for any foreigner in Thailand, eliminate the word "why" from your vocabulary! It is not required here and only leads to frustration.

As a Thai lady of my aqaintance would often respond sharply to a "why " question in a dalek-esk tone she didn't want to answer "not why", with no further comment or explanation.

SDM

• Like 1