Vietnamese banh mi sandwich in Chiang Mai?

Wopanese

Until i read this thread i had actually never heard of this banh me sandwich.

The word was registered in my head and then guess what last night i spotted a j flag advertising what looked like a formidable baguette style sarny.

Come along the west side of the moat and turn left into the city at the 7/11.

The road leads to th side of wat phra singh.

The sarny shop no more than 50m from the moat road, looks nice and pretty and clean though i was driving past.

I tried to order something from that place, but its packed with loud, obnoxious French people at noon, barking away in broken english to their thai girl conquest.

Annoying little place. After 30 minutes and no food I had to leave. The level of stupidity and fakeness from the clientele was too loud and overbearing.

The word was registered in my head and then guess what last night i spotted a j flag advertising what looked like a formidable baguette style sarny.

The sarny shop no more than 50m from the moat road, looks nice and pretty and clean though i was driving past.

I thought

Going along the west side of the moat you would have to turn right to get to Wat Phra Sing

I thought

Going along the west side of the moat you would have to turn right to get to Wat Phra Sing

Then again moonmuang is actually the west side of the moat also.

Lets say the moat on the west side of the old town driving south.

That place i describe is called the deli cafe.

• 1 month later...

Just have to laugh at the whole thing Viet Namese food being claimed to be better in America than the real McCoy in Viet Nam.

I have traveled in Vietnam quite a bit and even lived there for a while. The best Vietnamese that I have ever had was a little hole-in-the-wall on California street near Polk in San Francisco in the 1980s - before I had visited Vietnam the first time. Of course, it didn't taste anything like any food I ever tried in Vietnam, once I finally got there, so now I wonder what it actually was. tongue.png

I remember that tiny place in San Francisco, used to get a line out the door. Very tasty five spice chicken.

There's a place on the middle ring road called pho' anh that's run by a Vietnamese fellow that lived in the U.S. for many years. Food reminds me of the Vietnamese food that I used to eat in SF. I believe they have those sandwiches.

Link to the place called Pho anh that has Vietnamese Sandwich (Banh Mi)

https://www.facebook.com/phoanhchiangmai?ref=bookmarks

• 4 years later...

There's a new place in Santhitham, Hell's Kitchen, with bahn mi in the menu. I didn't tried it yet - at 120฿ I feel it a bit high for a bahn mi.

Sometimes in the Central Festival basement there's a "food fair" and sometimes there is a stall specialized in bahn mi (80฿), next time I want to ask them if they have a fixed place.

• Like 1