Top 10 Worst Driving Habits in Thailand

according to TV finest resident "experts"

Thailands top 3 worst driving habits are lifting their windscreen wipers when not driving, straightening their wheels when parallel parking and the worst of all ....reverse parking into parking bays...w00t.gif

What is wrong with these people...rolleyes.gif

clap2.gif

... Would cheap wiper-rubber really melt like a hershy bar in the hot sun?blink.png

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailands top 3 worst driving habits are lifting their windscreen wipers when not driving, straightening their wheels when parallel parking and the worst of all ....reverse parking into parking bays...w00t.gif

clap2.gif

... Would cheap wiper-rubber really melt like a hershy bar in the hot sun?blink.png

of course not... basic chemistry for those TV members who never finished high school tells us the vulcanised rubber does not have a specific melting point, it reaches a certain temperature and decomposes and starts falling to bits. thumbsup.gif

Vietnamese driving = chaos

Philippines = congested but not too bad

Indo driving - high speed on crap roads...

Thailand actually not too bad but room for improvement. Cap the speed of vans and pick ups carrying passengers. I think that if the Thais drove under the same regulations as Europe then the traffic would grind to a halt.

As for Poms being the best drivers in the world.....wake up, it's quite obvious that Aussies are the best in the world :)

I'm guilty on 1,2,3,7,10 of the OP's 10 bad habits. Yes, Yes, not good I know, but in the 4 years of driving (car+bike) here no accidents/incidents to date. I understand hazard awareness and read the road/surroundings and anticipate potential accidents. I don't just stare at the car in front.

I actually enjoy driving a lot more here than when I visit the UK.

If Im unfortunate enough to ever live in the UK again I'm sure I'd loose my license within a few months,(due to speeding) and also receive numerous congestion/bus lane/parking fines at the same time.

For me, driving at 20mph in town and 70mph on motorways is nearly impossible.

Yes I know it's safe, blah blah, but why make/sell vehicles that can do that in 1st gear!!?

Driving here you always have to be alert (aggressive or defensive driving) but in the UK most people are plodding along at 20/30/70mph half asleep on 'auto pilot' and not paying attention.

I'm sure most of the 'Old Git's' on here will be appalled. Now you got 1 more thing to complain about! LOL

then theres:

not using indicators,

not using mirrors,

not obeying the road rules or even knowing them,

pulling out from the kerb, driveway etc wiithout checking traffic

overtaking on double lines and blind corners

turning from the wrong lanes

using a turning lane to go straight ahead

driving fast through shopping centre car parks

going the wrong way in car parks against the arrows

driving on the wrong side of the road

overtaking with oncoming traffic on that side of the road and flashing their lights expecting you to pull over for them

cutting across the front of your car on a bike when you are turning a corner

basically just about everythingw00t.gif

Do you not exaggerate somewhat ?

EXAGGERATE????

He is spot on!

Between seajae and the OP, they have only cover about 40% of the problems with the way Thai people drive!

I believe Thailand has the second highest traffic fatality rate in the world and I have been told the highest fatality rate is in a war zone...

People in Thailand put a very low value on life, and it shows in there driving habits.

Remember, where you are going and when you arrive are not nearly as important as how many vehicles you can pass on the way!

and if you are a foreigner, you are always at fault. " If you did not come to Thailand, the accident would not have happened"

Yes, I have had to pay when a Thai person hit me!

clap2.gif

of course not... basic chemistry for those TV members who never finished high school tells us the vulcanised rubber does not have a specific melting point, it reaches a certain temperature and decomposes and starts falling to bits. thumbsup.gif

Thank you for answering, sir.wai.gif

But I didn't even get a clue in your reply. If rubber happens to be your field of expertise you must know why they do it?

Just watched this:

Man and woman on motorbike, man driving. Woman is gripping the legs of a laughing two year old. Two year old's feet are on man's shoulders.

Man pulls out of busy Sunday market. Does not look to see if there is traffic coming. Nope, not even in his peripheral. Just pulls out in front of other cars and motorbikes and guns it.

Lots of horns (yes, people honk a lot in Rhek Thum) and braking and black tail pipe smoke and the kid jerks back and slams against the woman's chest.

Everybody's laughing now, having fun.

clap2.gif

Thank you for answering, sir.wai.gif

But I didn't even get a clue in your reply. If rubber happens to be your field of expertise you must know why they do it?

Most of the retired old farts here are "rubber" experts. (American slang)

Road rage is almost none existent in Thailand. Back in many western countries if you do the slightest thing wrong on the road you could be eligible for a severe beating.

I've seen it here dozens of times, sometimes with handguns involved. Just last week we saw one pickup force another off the road so they could have a bit of a parley.

then theres:

not using indicators,

not using mirrors,

overtaking with oncoming traffic on that side of the road and flashing their lights expecting you to pull over for them

actually no, I see all this on a regular basis, just about every time I do any driving. Anyone that has not witnessed these things must drive with their eyes closed.

My #1 pet hate with Thai driving is being overtaken then immediately after have the overtaker cut across my front to turn left. Somebody taught me this is called 'tap naa'.

#2 would be stopping in one of those hashed yellow box thingys at an intersection blocking people from either entering or exiting a side street.

#3 driving to and picking up from school your kids when they could easily walk, bicycle or bus.

Edited by Keesters

What about the top 10 BEST driving habits in Thailand?

1 Not driving.

2 Not driving.

3 Not driving.

4 Not driving.

5 Not driving.

6 Not driving.

7 Not driving.

8 Not driving.

9 Not driving.

10 Not driving.

Edited by Keesters

I agree with TacoGuy though to some extent, 95% of Thai drivers are safe and considerate drivers, but it's the other 5% you'll take notice of because they're the ones that cause you problems.

No way, it's more along the lines of 50%.

The worst thing about all this is that it isn't punished by the police, in fact they clearly aren't an example with their random road blocks with no forewarning that brutally reduce 3 lanes to 1 on speedways. <deleted>??? I will never get used to that even after tens of thousands of km.

I even saw a cop standing in the middle lane of the speedway once waving at cars to slow down, checking out drivers and them going "shooh buzz off" with his hands. He didn't seem intoxicated. There must be some form of logic behind that but beats me.

Regarding #5 I would guess that a lot parents can not afford helmets for growing kids. It is scary.

Generall I find Thai drivers calm and polite. I find driving here easy if you are alert to natural flow of traffic. There are agressive drivers everywhere. Less in Thailand than in the US!

Ant the worst of the worst is 2 lanes right hand turning into oncoming traffic, into lane ways, driveways,

and small sois, thus hindering forcing the vehicles behind to stop or swerve while waiting for the oncoming

cars to give way.....

Thais were driving as they do long before most farangs showed up and they will be driving like they do long after we are all dead......best advice is learn to drive EXTRA defensively, don't get angry, don't get into confrontations, don't get in a hurry, don't think for one minute that most Thais give a crap what you think of their driving....and hopefully don't get killed.

I wouldnt say that...

I normally wind down the window and give the nutters the finger... That lets everyone know... They lose face and that is shameful... Sure I have had a few get riled up and pull over to the side of the road, expecting me to do the same, but I just flip them again and continue my journey.... Its nice to give back that sense of frustration they inflict on me :)

Beeping the horn is useless... thats just a game for them

then theres:

not using indicators,

not using mirrors,

He's not exaggerating, in fact he's missed a few.

Letting the children drive sat on parents lap.

Using pub or restaurant cars as a right turning (to save 15 meters by actually going to the right turn,

Using hazard warning to lights to go straight at a crossroads

Driving on the fast lane on dual carriageways making others have to "undertake" on the inside lane,

Not using seat belts and having 5 young kids bouncing around inside the car and another 7 in the back if it's a pick up truck

Breast feeding infants while driving (or riding a motorbike)

peeling off onto the wrong side of the road (regardless of what's coming towards them) because they want to turn right 1 mile down the road

Driving like a maniac at 100kph through villages, overtaking in dangerous situations and then braking as hard as possible to stop for a plate of rice

This is the best one though: The canal road in Chiang Mai is quite a fast dual carriageway with a hard shoulder/break down lane on the left. Sometimes the lottery sellers set up on the hard shoulder, I saw a woman stop her pick up truck by a lottery ticket seller - so she's actually IN the road on the slow lane - wind down the window and shout at the lottery ticket seller to bring her tickets. She was too lazy to pull off the road as it would have meant walking 5 meters back to the vendor. If there had been a light change up the road, traffic would have been racing down there using both lanes and there's this stupid bint parked in the road buying a lottery ticket.... Unbelievable

Other bad habbits include driving with no license, full of alcohol, no spatial awareness and no idea of the fact there others around them driving too

I drive in The UK which is without a doubt has the best drivers in the world (sorry USA but it's true). I have zero problem with Thai drivers. Traffic flows well, the drivers are alert, often courteous or at least cooperative. Parking is good. The only things I would fault are the use if mobile phones and lack of seat belts, but otherwise well done Thailand.

Wow, we have opposite definitions of courteous...

passing into oncoming traffic and flashing lights to let the drives know to get get out of the way

blocking the right and middle straight lanes lanes while waiting to make a right turn so won't have to wait at the back of the turn lane

passing then immediately slowing down to turn

disregarding stop signs or flashing red lights

sharing lanes

parking on an angle blocking 2 lanes rather than parallel parking

parallel parking a half meter or so from the curb

turning into traffic at idle speed and casually deciding to accelerate sometime after the turn is complete

flashing bright lights when coming up from behind

moving into oncoming traffic 50 meter s bore the right turn so they don't need to wait for oncoming traffic to pass 1st

Of course it not everyone but these kinds of things are very common, more so in pattaya and the like rather than some of the smaller cities.

I have never driven in UK so cannot dispute you there, but from my experience Japanese are some of the best drivers, Okinawa at least.

My #1 pet hate with Thai driving is being overtaken then immediately after have the overtaker cut across my front to turn left. Somebody taught me this is called 'tap naa'.

Yep, that is soooo annoying. Happens regularly.

My biggest hate is for <deleted> who overtake me when I am stationary, signalling to turn right and waiting for a space in the oncoming traffic.