Importing a Thai motorbike into Malaysia

johnd2

Hey Folks,

lots of speculation and contradicting info on the net in regards to importing a bike into Malaysia, so is there anyone who has actually done this?

I'm sure there's plenty of red tape and potential import and duty taxes to pay, but its only a small bike so hoping this should be minimum.

This would be for a personal import, non commercial.

Also, does anyone know of any insurance company in KL that will insure a Thai registered bike? (i've heard they do exist)

Cheers

John

Both GT Rider and RideAsia will have all the information you need.

Basically, you will need a letter from your local DLT which is a translation of the green book. At the border, there are vendors who will do stickers based on your number plates (front and back). There are also insurance agents who will cover you for the duration of your trip.

Please note that the max duration allowed for a Thai registered bike to be out of the country is 30 days.

Thanks for all the feedback folks,

So yeah, to clarify it would be for permanent export/import. Will be driving it down and bringing it across temporarily initially, but then looking to officially re-register it in KL.

From what i can tell, you're aloud to bring a bike into Malaysia for 90 days at a time (from a Malaysian perspective).

Not sure on how long from a Thai perspective, although from what i've read, the Thai border authorities are less bothered about this and would have no way to know or enforce, if you were to stay longer than 30 days.

Good site i found with some pretty clear instructions here: http://www.justridingaround.com/alor-sator/

Although the border crossing i'll be looking to go through is different (Sadao) should in theory follow a similar principle.

The Bike is all registered in my name, so yep just need to get the Green book translated... another boring day at Chatachuk DLT rolleyes.gifbiggrin.png

Bit of a random one, but In regards to the temporary stickers, do they plaster the ones on the back over the Thai plates, or just next to them?

I've seen Thai cars with temporary MY stickers on them, but obviously with Bikes, space is more of an issue.

Cheers Mania, will check out the Ride-Asia Forum