EIA-Approval must be a joke / eye-sores in Pattaya

I was reading an article about the shltstorm the 'Waterfront' project close to the Bali Hai pier in Pattaya raised with a smile in my face.

FINALLY, I thought, a larger group of concerned people are taking initiative against the eye-sores that are currently spreading like mushrooms in Pattaya.

But Waterfront (blocking the fantastic view from Buddha hill over the bay of Pattaya) is by far not the only one.

Another project, "One Tower", will very soon hurt the eyes like a needle inmidst the panoramic view of the sea from Buddha Hill towards Koh Larn, this particular project also advertises being "EIA approved". When I inquired about the project, some sales agent at the site said with a smile in her face that no other project in close distance is allowed to build that high because of the HM's land close by. So how thid THEY get this approval for such an ugly high-rise building right in the center of the most beautiful tourist view spot from the hill?

post-16289-0-40109600-1410422244_thumb.j

(official project plan photo)

What I really find so disappointing in Thailand is that no one seems to be able or willing to think ahead. Go for the quick buck, who cares if there will still be people who like to live there in 10 years from now? Today it's "Waterfront" and "One Tower", soon enough I'm sure other projects will further destroy the last remainants of real natural beauty in Pattaya. At a closer look, Buddha Hill looks nothing but terrible since about 2 years, just recently a huge part of forest on the southern side was logged for another project on the plans, ripping open this part of the formerly beautiful Buddha Hill and letting the joggers run in the blazing sun at late afternoons, while every year, fewer trees are remaining to clear the air.

post-16289-0-39046200-1410422259_thumb.j post-16289-0-70596100-1410422266_thumb.j

On the Eastern side of Buddha hill, the topmost units of another terrible monster construction (that is still almost completely empty 2 years after completion) are even looking down on the Buddha statue! I was told this is an absolute no-no in Thailand, so who has allowed this height of a building obviously no one even wants to live in because it is so ugly?

post-16289-0-58765400-1410423135_thumb.j

The strangest part of all that is that most of these monster constructions seem to be mostly empty even a few years after construction has been completed. It looks like a gigantic property bubble is developing in Pattaya - and unfortunately it is one with the side-effect of destroying the last remaining natural woods and green spots in the city, gradually turning it into one where I have my doubts anyone will still live in anymore a few years from now (especially if the nightlife, pretty much the only real attraction Pattaya has to offer, becomes more regulated and expensive than it already is). There seems to be no concept of Pattaya City Hall whatsoever of which way the city is supposed to take - as said, the quick buck seems to be the only directive, with the "EIA" just stamping off everything that comes in.