Lacking enthusiasm- any similar? One for over 60s.

thaibeachlovers

Stay the hell away from anti-depressants, in many cases worse than the depression. We all go through stages and phases, depression is one. I've been down at times when I didn't think there was an up. While I don't think I'm an adrenalin junkie, I was a USMC Sgt in Vietnam, Federal and local firefighter, cop, drag racer, bar bouncer and general hell raiser. For some reason some folks think I just might be an adrenalin junkie...lol. Do I miss it, you better believe it. I love sex, sometimes just can't get the "energy" to go through the "interview", but still..... . Oh, I'm 69 and last night I was talking with a 74 year old guy with a cute young chick on his lap that he would meet later. He has an interest in life. Live life to the fullest, that bastard (or bitch) in the black hooded cloak with a scythe will get us all sooner or later, I prefer to go down fighting. Do get a complete medical checkup, if you had a non "depressed" life before I'd bet on a medical problem. Hang in there.

Bummer, Beach ...

I feel the same way, and I'm still three years off your mark.

In the States, I spent an hour or more in the gym six days a week. I used a few supplements that were easily sourced at a local health food store, and were cheap. I ate clean.

After dinner, I walked down a tree-lined street, no vehicle exhaust, no snarling dogs, no burning plastic, to the bay and fished off the dock. Or up to the community college, where there were 16 tennis courts and four practice walls, and played tennis.

I went to museums, art galleries, and restaurants where the toilet paper was in the bathroom, not the on the table, and the servers made sure we were taken care of.

If I needed something for any of my various ongoing projects --- rebuilding a '66 Mustang convertible; building and finishing a piece of furniture; finding a book I heard was a good read; locating an ingredient for a new dish I wanted to make; build a house; go to the range and fire off a few hundred rounds, or the desert and shoot a thousand, the resources were readily available. The list is long and filled with things I no longer do.

Here, almost everything I have tried to accomplish is met with obstacles. Almost everyone I try to do business with, or strike up a relationship of any kind with, considers face first.

This has ultimately led me to stop trying, and do nothing. I am not someone who does nothing. I have always filled my life with interesting, and quite intentionally, smarter folks than myself, so I could learn something. Here, I have been asked, over five years, perhaps a thousand times, do I like spicy.

For me, it's the environment. Boredom is dangerous.

No, your symptoms are not a part of the normal aging process.

If its so bad what the hell are you doing there ?

Girlfriend, soon to be wife, then I'm not going to be here.

How's that for an answer?

thaibeachlovers, on 14 Sept 2014 - 15:48, said:thaibeachlovers, on 14 Sept 2014 - 15:48, said:thaibeachlovers, on 14 Sept 2014 - 15:48, said:
HeijoshinCool, on 13 Sept 2014 - 18:44, said:HeijoshinCool, on 13 Sept 2014 - 18:44, said:HeijoshinCool, on 13 Sept 2014 - 18:44, said:

Bummer, Beach ...

In the States, I spent an hour or more in the gym six days a week. I used a few supplements that were easily sourced at a local health food store, and were cheap. I ate clean.

After dinner, I walked down a tree-lined street, no vehicle exhaust, no snarling dogs, no burning plastic, to the bay and fished off the dock. Or up to the community college, where there were 16 tennis courts and four practice walls, and played tennis.

I went to museums, art galleries, and restaurants where the toilet paper was in the bathroom, not the on the table, and the servers made sure we were taken care of.

If I needed something for any of my various ongoing projects --- rebuilding a '66 Mustang convertible; building and finishing a piece of furniture; finding a book I heard was a good read; locating an ingredient for a new dish I wanted to make; build a house; go to the range and fire off a few hundred rounds, or the desert and shoot a thousand. The list is long and filled with things I no longer do.

Here, almost everything I have tried to accomplish is met with obstacles. Almost everyone I try to do business with, or strike up a relationship of any kind with, considers face first.

This has ultimately led me to stop trying, and do nothing. I am not someone who does nothing. I have always filled my life with interesting, and quite intentionally, smarter folks than myself, so I could learn something. Here, I have been asked, over five years, perhaps a thousand times, do I like spicy.

< it's the environment. Boredom is dangerous. >

Not environmental. Lived in 3 different countries since it started.

Whatever my life is, it isn't boring. I have a million things to do. The problem is I don't have the enthusiasm to do them. The problem existed when I was working full time too, and nursing is anything but boring.

If I force myself, I'll go do things, but I should WANT to do them. After all, they are all things I used to enjoy immensly.

From the replies so far, it does seem as though my problem is not part of the normal ageing process. I started worrying when I found out a friend's 80 year old father was more enthusiastic than I.

This seems like a well documented syndrome with retired men, they subconsciously believe there is nothing left to do, to live for.. depression sets in and many die within 5 years of retiring, in fact they almost will themselves to die. What to do, well, get out of the house, force yourself to do something, hobbies, new activities eg dancing, volunteer work, join a local men's group etc... but DO something.

Yep.

I now know two things about myself, and since I don't think I'm particularly unique, I'm sure there are others out there who are the same:

1. Retirement sucks and is bad for you;

2. I am not expat material. As bad as my country is getting, it's where I need to spend the majority of my time.

• Like 1

I suffered from the same symptoms until an endocrinologist found that my testosterone levels were way below normal for my age (63 at the time). Consult a good physician at well regarded hospital. Worked for me. I am now 71 and have energy, interest, and am generally a happy camper. Good luck.

HeijoshinCool, on 15 Sept 2014 - 17:40, said:
MediaWatcher, on 15 Sept 2014 - 16:57, said:
thaibeachlovers, on 14 Sept 2014 - 15:48, said:thaibeachlovers, on 14 Sept 2014 - 15:48, said:thaibeachlovers, on 14 Sept 2014 - 15:48, said:thaibeachlovers, on 14 Sept 2014 - 15:48, said:
HeijoshinCool, on 13 Sept 2014 - 18:44, said:HeijoshinCool, on 13 Sept 2014 - 18:44, said:HeijoshinCool, on 13 Sept 2014 - 18:44, said:HeijoshinCool, on 13 Sept 2014 - 18:44, said:

Bummer, Beach ...

If I needed something for any of my various ongoing projects --- rebuilding a '66 Mustang convertible; building and finishing a piece of furniture; finding a book I heard was a good read; locating an ingredient for a new dish I wanted to make; build a house; go to the range and fire off a few hundred rounds, or the desert and shoot a thousand. The list is long and filled with things I no longer do.

< it's the environment. Boredom is dangerous. >

Not environmental. Lived in 3 different countries since it started.

Whatever my life is, it isn't boring. I have a million things to do. The problem is I don't have the enthusiasm to do them. The problem existed when I was working full time too, and nursing is anything but boring.

If I force myself, I'll go do things, but I should WANT to do them. After all, they are all things I used to enjoy immensly.

From the replies so far, it does seem as though my problem is not part of the normal ageing process. I started worrying when I found out a friend's 80 year old father was more enthusiastic than I.

This seems like a well documented syndrome with retired men, they subconsciously believe there is nothing left to do, to live for.. depression sets in and many die within 5 years of retiring, in fact they almost will themselves to die. What to do, well, get out of the house, force yourself to do something, hobbies, new activities eg dancing, volunteer work, join a local men's group etc... but DO something.

Yep.

I now know two things about myself, and since I don't think I'm particularly unique, I'm sure there are others out there who are the same:

1. Retirement sucks and is bad for you;

2. I am not expat material. As bad as my country is getting, it's where I need to spend the majority of my time.

I hate the word "retire", seems like a death sentence, semi-retire yes...but we need to keep busy. I do have returned to my home country, taking my Thai wife with me, the main reason being she will always be better off here than Thailand, especially after I pass away, but also for me, medically Australia is far superior to Thailand, there's also so much more that I can do to keep busy as well as the government not being anti me, or for that matter anti my wife, lol and will not keep changing its policy.

That is too bad, perhaps you need a change. Get a hobby. Take a course online in any subject you like. Learn a new language. Try going to another country and stay a month. Go out every day to a different restaurant an/or bar. Make new acquaintances and enjoy new things. Show yourself you have something to do which may be fun.

Or you could just lay back and accept it.

• Like 1

Im not 60 but have had down years before - you may want to try

exercise - 40 min 4-5 days a week.

vegetarian diet and cut the processed carbs

Hormone replacement (Testosterone and/or HGH)

Supplement Vitamin B, D, fish oil

joining clubs and getting involved in activities - particularly outdoor.

I am no where near that age but when I look at those miserable Rolling Stones (I really love em) they all have a smile on their face, keeping positive, healthy and active. My uncle used to say (About his daughter who had issues), depression? put on a pair of track suit pants and go for a run. Keep moving, dont brood over problems too long, and most of all have hope.

I am no where near that age but when I look at those miserable Rolling Stones (I really love em) they all have a smile on their face, keeping positive, healthy and active. My uncle used to say (About his daughter who had issues), depression? put on a pair of track suit pants and go for a run. Keep moving, dont brood over problems too long, and most of all have hope.

Reading this thread and having known many people who have suffered from depression (and other mental disorders) I can relate to the OP and many posts. When a person says something like what the OP says... many folks reactions is to tell them "cheer up". That kind of response is well-intentioned but lets recognize there are mental illnesses just like there are physical illnesses. In fact, many mental illnesses are best treated with physical solutions (meds etc.) although therapy is also a great tool.

The OP already mentioned he tried these paths. I respect that. But when a person is suffering from this kind of outlook for more than a few days, weeks. or months and does not drink to excess, do drugs, or have any huge conflicting behaviors or experiences in their lives the options point to some kind of un-treated depression.

There are many medications. Although in Thailand this topic is a stigma and the therapy options are very few... one can find solutions... options... even if one does some homework on Internet and joins groups, etc. And one can get a psychiatrist to prescribe many of the meds available in larger more developed countries. ( I realize the OP sounds like they are in UK or some western country so this may not directly apply).

Having said that, ADD is a real mental illness and it often manifests as depression or is co-diagnosed with depression. It is controversial, I know but I also know many who have only realized this diagnosis fit them - several in their 50's!

I would suggest the OP keep active, stay in shape and take care of the body. Similarly I would suggest keeping an open minded approach to addressing mental health.

Finally, even if you are within the Testosterone 'natural' numbers, it may be worth trying boosting these, and / or trying other meds to see what works. Its not a crime. Remember the tagline "Better living through chemistry".

what is miserable about being a rock star, doing all the drugs and women you ever wanted, playing music that you would do anyway and getting paid for it, and living to tell the story... write a book, etc. I read Keiths book and it was interesting. He is one incredibly lucky guy. His comment that doing only the highest quality drugs was helpful to his health, I agree is very likely helpful. Also having doctors at beck and call also helps.

I sympathise with you. I am 61 and have similar feelings. I have no hobbies and only one real friend in Thailand. I go to lots of parties and the local farang bar and get hammered several times a week....and this is no answer. My g/f is very understanding, but she is 15 years younger than me and really would like to do more things, but I never seem to have the energy and am tired all the time.

I have tried all sorts of stuff to revive some energy but nothing seems to work....I'm just hoping for an early death.

I sympathise with you. I am 61 and have similar feelings. I have no hobbies and only one real friend in Thailand. I go to lots of parties and the local farang bar and get hammered several times a week....and this is no answer. My g/f is very understanding, but she is 15 years younger than me and really would like to do more things, but I never seem to have the energy and am tired all the time.

I have tried all sorts of stuff to revive some energy but nothing seems to work....I'm just hoping for an early death.

I see your problem,

You need a gf 30+ years younger than you.

You will suddenly have a lot more energy.

After a couple of hours cycling, then a bit of a run, if I'm still feeling a bit listless, I go hang out at a shopping mall with my pals.

We can talk quietly together about the meaning of life the universe and everything and suddenly .... "Oh, my god, look at the shorts and heels on that one" ......

Everything seems so much better.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

All of us have the same problem but few, like yourself and me, admit it ! You're probably in that common stage of life where, having been around, are experiencing simple old boredom which is untreatable except by searching out a new sport/hobby or death defying act like taking a Thai bus/train or 4 companions simultaneously !

• Like 1

Bummer, Beach ...

If I needed something for any of my various ongoing projects --- rebuilding a '66 Mustang convertible; building and finishing a piece of furniture; finding a book I heard was a good read; locating an ingredient for a new dish I wanted to make; build a house; go to the range and fire off a few hundred rounds, or the desert and shoot a thousand, the resources were readily available. The list is long and filled with things I no longer do.

If its so bad what the hell are you doing there ?

Girlfriend, soon to be wife, then I'm not going to be here.

How's that for an answer?

Good reason, sorry for being blunt there are too many people who stay in a bad situation. I did.. and now I will never do that again.

I am now 71 years young from the UK and live in Thailand. I have a young Thai wife and feel as if I am 50 all over again. I have never experienced the symptoms the OP describes and I agree with what Costas 2008 says.

If you are still a resident in the UK come to Thailand and see the difference the diet and lifestyle makes to those symptoms.